Thread: atv backfire

Default atv backfire

My atv is backfiring when decelerating from higher speeds (35-50 mph), any idea what is causing this. I just had the valves adjusted, is this the problem.

I am going to take it in next week to get the problem fixed but will it do any harm to use it until it is fixed.

As you can tell on a scale of 1-10 when it comes to mechanics, I rate about a minus 2.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by BEARBOB View Post
    My atv is backfiring when decelerating from higher speeds (35-50 mph), any idea what is causing this. I just had the valves adjusted, is this the problem.

I am going to take it in next week to get the problem fixed but will it do any harm to use it until it is fixed.

As you can tell on a scale of 1-10 when it comes to mechanics, I rate about a minus 2.

Thanks in advance
    Clean or replace the spark plug.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by BEARBOB View Post

Thanks in advance
    It won't do any harm to run it for a week like that. The reason it's backfiring is because your machine is NOW running too rich. Only one way to fix it and that is to properly adjust the air/fuel mixture on the carberator. If you are a minus-2 on the mechanics scale it's beyond your reach. To be done properly it takes a special tool to turn the screw while the machine is running.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    To be done properly it takes a special tool to turn the screw while the machine is running.
    Would that be a screwdriver?
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHinER View Post
    Would that be a screwdriver?
    Ya, a special screwdriver There is only a inch or so of clearance. The screw driver must have one 90 degree bend plus another slighter angle bend in it. Those 90 degree bend screwdrivers sold in tool stores don't work, I had to make my own.

Also check the exhaust pipe for leaks if they had it off to adjust tha valves. A leak can sound like backfiring when you let off the gas

You might be able to use a flathead screwdriver bit (the kind that you can pull out of the screwdriver and change) and turn it with your hand or a little box end wrench to adjust the carb.

Does the quad have good fuel in it? If you have a little water in the bottom of your carb or water in your fuel it can cause backfiring too. I'd try putting some fresh gas into the tank. Shut off the fuel petcock (on off lever on the bottom of the tank) loosen up the drain on the bottom of your carb... fuel will drain out of the bowl. Let it drain out completely, then tighten the drain back up. Turn your petcock back to on position and run the quad. You can also run a little bit of heet or seafoam through it and see how it runs. DON'T put a whole can of heet into a quad, those bottles are meant for automotive fuel tanks that hold like 20 gallons. Just a quick sip will do.

Hope this helps.

Well I got my atv back from the dealer and they said that they contacted head office for Honda Canada and they were told that the backfire is a normal occurance on the Rubicon and that no action was required.

Also, when I shifted my atv into reverse the revese light would indicate that I was in reverse but some of the time I had to just touch the gas a little before it would actually go into reverse. The answer again from head office was that this is normal.

So what's a fella to do.