Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Season blues...

Unhappy Sheep Season blues...

Due to the necessary beat myself up pre-hunt regime, it seems for lack of words, I am falling apart! My knees are not what they used to be. Does anyone have an off-the-shelf knee brace they'd reccomend for the arduous task ahead of me? Speaking of which, something not too cumbersome...
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

I am not sure on the best knee brace, but I was curious if you are using trekking poles for your mountain adventures? I just started using them and they take alot of the load off my knees.

I use the simple neoprene knee braces. They are about 10-15 bucks, no metal, very light. It is like having your knee taped, also a little padding for when you are crawling around on rocks and things.

+1, going to use those myself this fall. After many years of playing sports my legs aren't what they use to be.........but I can still get up those mountains, just takes a little longer!!

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

I had my ACL reconstructed in February and have to wear a knee brace for anything "high impact". Needless to say it will be on when I head out sheep hunting in August. It cost insurance $700 bucks, and was made in Germany...its not too cumbersome, but for the price I would go with the neoprene...

I don't have a recommendation for a knee brace, but my dad uses one and he has a nice walking stick he uses and he says it makes going down hill alot easier on him when we sheep hunt.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default knee braces...

Montana, I've posted on this before.
    I never hit the sheep mountains without Ace brand knee braces on both knees.
    They run under ten bucks and will make all the difference with the support they afford.

Make sure you properly fit them, too tight and they wear at your tendons on the back of your knees, too big and they don't support as well.

I avoid the neoprene style. They don't breath and the sweat can get very uncomfortable. Also they can offer more resistance than I like. They aren't easy to adjust on the go either. If an Ace brace gets out of place, you can grab it through your trousers and quickly fit it.

Don't forget the hiking sticks! They make a big difference for the knees. Get the anti-shock style (they help spring you out of a tight spot) --you'll likely be very happy with them.

Best of luck!

Lots of Cycling, and, if you can, some squats. Build up your muscles, they are your main knee braces. Then, ice and elevation and of course proper rest and nutrition. I'm not saying don't use braces but don't allow them to take the place of strong muscles.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Two things.

I am a big guy and am hitting the big 4-0 this year. I lift a lot but I believe that there are two things that can save knees.
    1(Climb rugged inclines and take gradual declines. The declines don't feel like they rip stuff but they really do.
    2)Second- Run or hike naturally. Don't try to keep perfect form. This really also helps.

I have also found that distance and flow is more important than pace. Rather than kill myself I go longer and slower. I get better results.

Good Luck,

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Lots of Cycling, and, if you can, some squats. Build up your muscles, they are your main knee braces. Then, ice and elevation and of course proper rest and nutrition. I'm not saying don't use braces but don't allow them to take the place of strong muscles.
    I was just about to suggest the same thing.
    If you can't handle squats (from a squat bar or if you don't have a spotter), I would suggest doing a hip sled and starting out with light weight and adding a plate (45lbs) each time you go in to work out.
    Also, the leg extensions and lunges are good, too, if you want to start with real light weight.
    When I was younger, I did some damage to my knees and my trainer told me to keep working them out and I agree with Snyd that there is nothing that can replace good working muscles.
    It works. You just need to take your time in building them up. 5 weeks is good time for you to get your muscles in order.
    Lurker.

Default lunges

lunges, lunges, more lunges
    hiking, hiking, more hiking
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Made a mistake on my last post, it was the ACE brand knee braces I was thinking of, not the neoprene.

Default darn, making me feel old

with all the knee stuff! I am lucky, after playing hs and college bball, I have very good knees. My problem and I am sure others is what kills me the most is coming "Down" the mountain. That is where I get the most burn. Knees are surely something to be protected so do or wear what you need to to make keep them safe. Part of the reason I don't play much bball anymore, I don't want to injure my knees and jeopardize any type of hunting.
    I do bring along advil though!

Default I'm not alone

Glad to see I'm not the only broke down old man in here

Due to recovery from the back surgery, I have had a rough go at getting motivated to hike. I bike, perform lunges a lot and maintain my physique as best a soon to be 40 yr old can (Hey, i'm no spring chicken anymore!) I have not hit the weights yet, but I can include them into my routine. So, ACE brand, I new the neoprene do cause excessive heat, but never hiked long durations with them, thanks fullcurl, I'll pick some up prior to my Crow Pass trip to try them out.

On a side note, any of you have major back surgery? I'm curious because my recovery seems slow at best. Like I mentioned, I don't care if I have to crawl, I MUST go. Just curious on how you or someone you know of faired through the ordeal.
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

Default Hindu Squats

I know that this is a bit of a different tip but I have found that if I do two sets of 50 hindu squats which are deep squats without any weight before I do my weight routinue.

I do squats three times per week but I only go really heavy once every other week.(I do this to prevent knee and lower back spinal erector damage.)

I do box squats once per week. Deep butt to heel deep squats with 275lbs for twenty reps per set for four sets once per week. Regular squats once per week.

I do this in the morning before I start hunting as well.

Hindu Squats will actually help you increase your PR and are great if you are not a young un anymore.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Default Knee Brace

I can feel your pain. I have never had an injury to my knees but my left knee will practically scream at me going downhill (but not uphill) even without a pack on. I bought a knee brace at REI for $50 and it meant the world. I never had a problem on my sheep hunt even with a full pack of mean horns and cape. I can't recall the name but it has a metal elbow inserted that flexed with the knee in a neoprene form. It worked wonders for me. I just did a quick search on REI website Protec hinged knee brace is what I use. $45

The only issue I have with it ...is that it put a bit of a rub on the calf muscle, but its not painful.

Good luck
    Hope that helps.

Default Getting in Shape

Well I figured I may as well try one more sheep hunt before I move to POW. Any as to those who know my steller physique I usually don't need too much training (for the uninitiated I am 5'9, 260#, and have a pretty fantastic beer gut). I recently started adding a weekly vegtable to my meals (typically a baked potato with all the fixins') that I eat on Sunday with my steak. I also plan on moving from Alaska IPA to Natural Light to conserve caloric intake. I figured these changes will help me out come sheep season barring any catastrophic injury during my nightly sojourns to the Long Branch for a burger, fries, and beer (light beer of course). I figure I am pretty much on the right road but I will let you all know how well I fare. I plan on hiking in at least a mile to find my trophy but I refuse to go further than 3. For the inquiring minds, I do help make the sheep success rates lower on paper so far I have had 5 general sheep permits and zero sheep tp show for it. Someone want to take me?

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Someone want to take me?
    LMAO........ Oh oh oh were do I sign up????
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

That's funny- go with natty ice- more bang for your buck and still fewer calories than IPA- make sure you only bring whiskey on your hunt- a fifth lasts longer and is lighter than a 12 pack...but make sure you sneak it into your buddies pack...

Well I figured I may as well try one more sheep hunt before I move to POW. Any as to those who know my steller physique I usually don't need too much training (for the uninitiated I am 5'9, 260#, and have a pretty fantastic beer gut). I recently started adding a weekly vegtable to my meals (typically a baked potato with all the fixins') that I eat on Sunday with my steak. I also plan on moving from Alaska IPA to Natural Light to conserve caloric intake. I figured these changes will help me out come sheep season barring any catastrophic injury during my nightly sojourns to the Long Branch for a burger, fries, and beer (light beer of course). I figure I am pretty much on the right road but I will let you all know how well I fare. I plan on hiking in at least a mile to find my trophy but I refuse to go further than 3. For the inquiring minds, I do help make the sheep success rates lower on paper so far I have had 5 general sheep permits and zero sheep tp show for it. Someone want to take me?

I recently started adding a weekly vegtable to my meals (typically a baked potato with all the fixins') that I eat on Sunday with my steak... For the inquiring minds, I do help make the sheep success rates lower on paper so far I have had 5 general sheep permits and zero sheep to show for it. Someone want to take me?
    Why don't you combine the above efforts? Hike a little more and get rewarded with a nice juicy t-loin steak fresh off the carcass?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast