Thread: anchorage to soldotna

Default anchorage to soldotna

hey guys. thanks in advance for your help and replies. dad and i arrive this saturday for a week, staying with friends in soldotna. bringing up 5 and 8 wt rods and i think well stocked with a variety of nymphs, egg patterns, egg sucking leeches, and wooly buggers. not too interested in fishing for kings, instead wanting to focus on other available salmon, rainbows, dollies and grayling. we have a rental car for the week and not opposed to hiking to out of the way locations. not particularly interested in trophy-sized fish either. we will be content with quantity and ability to catch a variety of species. so, i guess the question is what do you all recommend within a 2hour drive of soldotna for trout and grayling?

thanks again.

Default Go to Crescent Lake.........

It's near Cooper Landing, which is about a 40 minute drive from Soldotna. It just opened today for grayling fishing. There are some real trophys in there and the scenery is magical. It requires a walk in but it's a good trail for a day trip. I may go there myself this week. Enjoy.

Dave
    Soldotna

Default thanks

dave:

thanks for the reply. i do want to try some stillwater fishing while there so your suggestion is perfect. will we be ok without a float tube or canoe? also, i assume that many of the smaller tribs of the bigger rivers will hold the species we are after, specifically rainbows, dollies and grayling?

thanks again

Default Waders...

will get you to the fish but a tube gives you more options. Grayling are also in Crescent Creek which is another good option. They are aggressive feeders and are a blast to catch. There are rainbows and dollies in there too. Have fun, take a camera, make noise for the bears.

Dave