Thread: Use of Standard Rifle Primers in Magnums

Roy, UT. Returning to Glennallen, AK soon.

Default Use of Standard Rifle Primers in Magnums

Help from Murphy and others. After priming about 33 .358 Norma Magnum cases I double checked and found that I was using CCI-200 standard large rifle primers. I was going to load Nosler Accubond .358" - 225 grain bullets ahead of 74 grains of IMR4350. Since most load books say to use magnum primers, what impact should I expect? Should I dump the CCI-200s and reprime with CCI-250 or other magnum primer?

Roger

Thumbs up Primers

I have used standard primers in my 338 Win for years.....no problem.

Try both and see which shoots the best.
    Alaska

Load 'em and shoot 'em. The CCI-200 will ignite 4350 very well. The velocity will be about 10-20 fps below the magnum primers but will still be a good load. It may be less velocity variations and better accuracy.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Back when I owned a 358 Norma, it prefered non-mag primers with the old 4831. Never did try 4350 in it, so no direct evidence, but my instinct is that standard would shoot fine, and it would be a question of whether your rifle prefered mag or standard.

In fact, my son-in-law's 300 Winnie prefers standard with his load of 4350 under a 180 grain bullet.