Thread: Kodiak Kings

Default Kodiak Kings

It's been a below average year for the Ayakulik River, and a poor year for the Karluk River. However, things are looking up for the Ayakulik with 2,188 Kings. The Karluk on the other hand has only 544 Kings to date which is dismal. Sockeye returns have also been below average. Obviously, the fish are late everywhere in Alaska this year. But what is causing the declines in the fish populations? Poor ocean conditions? Commercial by catch? Who knows?

Kodiak King from mid June.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steelieguy View Post
    But what is causing the declines in the fish populations? Poor ocean conditions? Commercial by catch? Who knows?
    More than likely a combination of weather events (La Nina), which have caused ocean currents to change (in location, temperatures, etc), which has caused nutrient rich upwellings to cease, which killed off a lot of the lower food chain critters, which in turn, caused the baby salmon to probably starve to death in their time out in the ocean.

This is and has happened up and down the West Coast from California all the way up to Northern AK.

While it's true that a lot of the runs might be "late", a lot of them have been impacted by a reduce in numbers.

Good thing AK manages their fish runs just in case unforseen events like this take place. Oh wait, they don't.

Well I hope things improve over the next years for you folks. The Karluk shut down a week before I arrived last year. I arrive in Kodiak in a week....hopefully there will be dollys and halibut.

Historically....what does the mid September fishery consist of on the island? Might have to come later next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou W View Post
    Well I hope things improve over the next years for you folks. The Karluk shut down a week before I arrived last year. I arrive in Kodiak in a week....hopefully there will be dollys and halibut.

Historically....what does the mid September fishery consist of on the island? Might have to come later next year.
    Hopefully, the ocean conditions will improve for future runs of fish.

There will be lots of Halibut, Lings, Silvers and a few Kings in the Salt. Mid September is prime time for Silvers. There are a handfull of rivers in the southern part of the island that have good runs of stealhead starting in mid September. Need to book a fly out to access them.
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 06-30-2008 at 19:06. Reason: spelling