Thread: help with new boat power

Default help with new boat power

i ordered a new Raider 26 cuddy and wanted yamy power, twin 150s. i just got a call from the dealer saying they dont have any left hand counterrotaters in and wont have them until the end of aug. i would like some opinions on whether i should change to honda power because they have those in stock or if two standard rotaters would be fine on a boat this size. i have no brand loyalty but have heard alot more good things about the yamys than the hondas any and all opinions and thoughts will be appreciated.
    thanks guys,
    brian

Default Counter Rotation

I don't think it's an issue as long as you have hydraulic steering.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

You'll get a bit better fuel efficiency with counter rotators, so as long as the swich doesn't cost you anymore I'd go that route.

Wink

You might want to look into Suzukis, have been hearing allot of good things about them.

TL

Default yamaha is good

because this state has a lot of them, and a lot of mechanics and parts for them. Other than that, I have no preferene either. I would however, get counter rotating props because it will eliminate the lean factor under power. I have standard rotating props on both engines and I have to put a lot more weight on the right side because of the torque. Trim tabs would eliminate that though, so if you have to have yamaha's, and you have to have them right now, make sure you install hydraulic trim tabs.

Chris

Default Suzuki

I agree that Suzuki is also a great engine. Have a 140hp that runs like a dream.

I have 150 Yamahas on my 26' Hewes, both RH rotation. No problems trimming with tabs. I don't think the counterrotating motors are nearly as popular as they once were. A friend runs a 30' ACB with twin 300 Suzukis, doesn't believe in the counterrotating thing either. I'd press with the RH motors. Same props, same parts, more readily available. FWIW.

Chris

Chris,
    Do you notice any measurable difference in speed or fuel usage having to trim it up on one side? Appreciate the input, that goes for everybody!

Since I haven't run counterrotators, I don't have a basis for comparison. But I'm always aware of trim and changing it depending on load/seating, wind, wave conditions.

I don't discount the possibility of higher fuel consumption, but I just have a hunch it isn't that significant, even in the days of heinous fuel prices. Besides, if you're running in any kind of seas, you are probably jockeying throttles for wave conditions a bit, and that's gonna cost you more than a bit of trim.

Also consider that running the same rotation allows one spare prop to cover either motor (if you carry one).

I just think the simplicity outweighs any advantage of counterrotators. Just my hunch, though.

Chris