Thread: Advice for fishing Hope

Default Advice for fishing Hope

Hello,
    My wife and I will be fishing for pinks in mid July and I am hoping that someone will give us some much needed advice. What part of the creek are best to fish? Above or below the bridge? How can you find out the time for high tide? Since even years appear to be the best time to fish this area, will be have a hard time finding a place to park or fish?

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Charlie

Well Charlie your questions are good, but hard to answer.
    Hope has been getting more and more popular, but I would think parking/camping should be ok and easy (try to arrive during the week as weekends tend to get more people).
    IF the pinks are in (and they should be) anywhere on the creek is good. Upstream of the bridge is nicer in that it's in the woods. As the mouth is on the mud flats.
    The tides are pretty close to anchorage. I'd put an hour after anchorage's tides and you should be ok. It is either an hour before or an hour after, I can't remember wich. You should be able to time it easily on your first day there. BE CAREFUL OF TIDES AND WHERE YOU PUT YOUR CAMPSITE!! (i've been flooded at hope before.) If no one else is camping where you are........might want to move. IF hope is full you can also camp up the road at ressurection trail trailhear.

Also if HOpe gets old try Izak Walton state Park on the Kenai. (moose river and kenai confluence). This is a pink year on the Kenai.....the pinks are bigger, and most people don't like catching them. I can usually find a campspot there.

Good luck.

(eat at the seaview when in HOpe!! Thier fish and chips is awesome!)

Default Thanks

AKbrownsfan,
    I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Charlie

So, what type of flies/lures does one use to catch Pinks? I'm thinking my kids would enjoy Pink fishing.

If Hope is too crowded to fish, you can also fish Ingram Creek(sp?) for Pinks.

Bright Pink.
    I have had excellent results using Hot Pink wooly buggers and jigs.
    Fishing off the dock in Soldotna my indicator would go under almost immediately when using these baits.

Roe on a bobber
    Spinners
    Yarn and corky
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Small spinners have always worked well for me like a #2 Vibrax, Mepps & Rooster tails.

Default Ideas Appreciated

Where is Ingram Creek at? I am looking at taking my 5 year old out for either grayling, dollies or pinks and some camping this weekend. Anyone have any suggestions for easy bank fishing for something a little less crowded to work on his casting?

Ingram Creek is right next to the road where it turns away from Turnagain Arm up into the mountains towards Turnagain Pass. I would be very surprised if there were already pinks in there. They should be in there in mid to late July.