Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should the state legalize Polar Bear Hunting?

Default Should the state legalize Polar Bear Hunting?

I can't find the article again but I recently read something about a senator that wanted to life the ban on polar bear hunting. He believes that bringing Sportsman into the fold in regards to polar bear restoration will help shed more light on the issue. I read somewhere else that about 40 Polar bears are killed each year in the Villages up North, many of which are in "self defensse." I personally think that it is a great idea. One only needs to look at the Muskox and Woods Bison to see that sportsman's groups are the catalyst behind conservation. I realize the polar bear faces different issues then the above animals but what if a Quota was established where 40 Bears are allowed to be killed each year. Each village would get a rolling quota depending on size, location, etc and the remaining permits would be on a lottery permit system. Maybe 7 for Residents and 3 for non residents or something. Now my numbers are skewed as I don't know what the management protocal would be so take those with a grain of salt. What do you all think?

We can't even get them to let us hunt brown bears on the Kenai P or Chugach State park where they are overpopulated, chances of them opening a season for polar bear aren't too good IMO.

State will have very little to do with it since polar bears are managed by international agreements as a marine mammal. Chances of every having a hunt in the U.S. is slim to none.

i think a draw would be a great idea..won't happen though.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I think polar bear hunting should be legalized for us regular folk.

It's legal in Canada, but doing so would put us at odds with the fedpukes and the Marine Mammal Species Act which I don't see as a bad thing, but others might.
    Now what ?

Default Not up to the state

The state of Alaska can't legalize polar bear hunting any more than it can legalize bald eagle hunting. Polar bears are protected by the Marine Mammal Protection Act so they're federally managed. Add to that the fact that they were just listed as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act and you can rest assured that no non-natives are going to be hunting polar bears in Alaska anytime soon. I wouldn't be surprised if they ban the import of legal Canadian trophies under CITIES in the near future.

Default Polar bear hunt

You can hunt one in Canada, starting around $40K...don't think its going to happen in Alaska, Too bad the native villages can't auction out some of the few permits they get. the money could benefit them, I would hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Shannon View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if they ban the import of legal Canadian trophies under CITIES in the near future.
    They already have banned it, which happened automatically once they were listed under the Endangered Species Act. There was an article about it in the paper a few days ago how Canada is lobbying for an exception on the import ban because of the importance of polar bear hunting to many communities. For the time being, though, imports are banned.

Default about canada....

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    I think polar bear hunting should be legalized for us regular folk.

It's legal in Canada, but doing so would put us at odds with the fedpukes and the Marine Mammal Species Act which I don't see as a bad thing, but others might.
    Ya, there's all kinds of legal stuff in Canada too. They take sheep hunters up in helicopters above the sheep so they can hunt down on them. Takes away 50% of the work and fun right there. Am proud to NOT hunt in Canada. Not saying Canada's evil or anything, I just don't like they way they do business with some things.
    Last edited by pike_palace; 06-30-2008 at 18:19. Reason: adding info
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Good luck. As stated, it's a Fed thing. And as to the Kenai brownies, at least they are eating some Greenies!
    Thought they had better taste.

Default hunting

When did they close the season on Bald eagles?

(only kidding)

They should, but like everyone said they can't.

Default The MMPA is bogus!

I would put in for a permit. Sea otters, being overpopulated in SE, should
    have their own season too, and seals and sea lions. But, alas, they look way to cute as stuffed animals so we will not be able to hunt them any time soon.

If you could justify it, you could shoot one in self Defense....Hey better yet....Polar bear darting like they do black rhino's in Africa.

Default Who really controls the polar bear?

The enviro-marxists really control the fate of the polar bear! They will push every government entity with a lawsuit to get their way. Just like they are threatening now with the Beluga Whale. But remember, the enviros don't care about the "animal" - its a way to curtail or stop energy exploration or recovery of any fossil fuel.

The non native hunting of polarbear in alaska consisted of locating them from a plane, landing on top of and shooting them, taking a few pictures and then jumping back in the plane with the hide and skull before the hunter got too cold.
    Duh, I wonder why they banned non natives from hunting polarbear.

dws, obviously your not familiar with planes and the polar bears environment. PB's live mostly on ice. The hunting of PB's before 1972 consisted of locating a bear on the ice, finding a place to land, and hunting that bear. Some bears were shot shortly after landing. Some were shot many hours afterward. Ocean ice up here is not static, nor is it smooth as glass, like lake ice often is. Finding a bear AND finding a landable place nearby was not a given. Killing the bear after landing was also not a given. Finding a suitable landing place in ocean ice and actually safely landing the plane there takes SKILL. Just like shooting a rifle takes skill, or sneaking up a mountain side to get within range of a critter.
    The marine mammal protection act was not about the methods of hunting. It was about numbers. It protected many other species of marine mammals, some of which were not hunted by non natives.
    Your statements are completely inaccurate.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Agreed MT, I watched some old time video's of guys hunting PB's in the early 40's through the 70's. It was no easy task getting their hunters a PB, landing on sea ice was a very risky proposition and getting back alive was no guarantee. Wish I could remember the name of the video's as those were the days to be in Alaska!!!

Default Favorite Foods

Here is my list of Favorite Foods

1. Eagle Eggs and legs
    3. Beluga Bolonga
    3. Seal Salami
    4. Otter Wraps
    5. Walrus Stew
    6. And Last Polar Bear, bacon and beans.

Just joking, Aint going to happen.

Terry

YES!! i want a polar bear rug!!!!!
    Semper Fi!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast