Thread: Run Timing & Late Runs

Default Run Timing & Late Runs

Ok, I come to Alaska every September to fish Bows and Dollies on the Upper Kenai. I also spend atleast a few hours during the month fishing Silvers. With the lateness of the runs how do you see the effect that the lateness of second run reds will have on the Bow/Dolly fishery? I know that the reds push the trout and dollies out of the prime lies due to their agressiveness. And as the month wears on as the red #'s decrease the dolly and bow fishing gets better.
    Do you think there will be fresh reds in the system come September?
    I hooked one fresh red in September 2003 and thought that they fight pretty good. If there were going to be fishable #'s of fresh reds I might have to spend a day targeting them.
    This year is so different from any of the previous years that I'm wondering what to expect.

Default I would not be concerned

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Ok, I come to Alaska every September to fish Bows and Dollies on the Upper Kenai. I also spend atleast a few hours during the month fishing Silvers. With the lateness of the runs how do you see the effect that the lateness of second run reds will have on the Bow/Dolly fishery? I know that the reds push the trout and dollies out of the prime lies due to their agressiveness. And as the month wears on as the red #'s decrease the dolly and bow fishing gets better.
    Do you think there will be fresh reds in the system come September?
    I hooked one fresh red in September 2003 and thought that they fight pretty good. If there were going to be fishable #'s of fresh reds I might have to spend a day targeting them.
    This year is so different from any of the previous years that I'm wondering what to expect.
    I would not be concerned. In fact the last couple of years the runs have been abnormally strong in August but by Sept there are few reds entering the system. Even in a late run less than 1 percent per day is coming in by late August and the sonar counters are pulled.

So I would not be concerned about reds if you were not concerned in the last couple of years.