Thread: Wow, Fairbanks to Nome in an XS

Default Wow, Fairbanks to Nome in an XS

Lets see if they averaged 20 mph and 6 gph for the 1500 miles and were able to purchase all 450 Gallons at $5 per gallon (yeah right) then they would have shelled out 2250 just to fuel the XS!! I bet it was worth it

Default Cool Trip!

I had a friend that attempted the same trip back in 2000. He made it all the way out to Unlakleet and was stuck in ice for 3 days trying to get into town. He tossed the 20 foot river boat on a barge and it made it to Kotz on the first barge about July 4th. Crazy trip and costly for sure but you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!
    Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Lets see if they averaged 20 mph and 6 gph for the 1500 miles
    Over at The Boat Shop forum they reported "Loaded down with 5 people, 700 lbs of fuel, 600+ lbs of gear (approx) on calm water the boat would do 30+ MPH at about 3/4 throttle (4400 -4700 RPM) and 7 GPH, thats over 4 MPG. Those numbers are backed with two gps units and water speed sensor. Thats going upstream with a good tail wind". It was also 3000 miles not 1500 as they made a round trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post
    Over at The Boat Shop forum they reported "Loaded down with 5 people, 700 lbs of fuel, 600+ lbs of gear (approx) on calm water the boat would do 30+ MPH at about 3/4 throttle (4400 -4700 RPM) and 7 GPH, thats over 4 MPG. Those numbers are backed with two gps units and water speed sensor. Thats going upstream with a good tail wind". It was also 3000 miles not 1500 as they made a round trip.
    I have an XS, and find those fuel burn numbers with that much weight at that MPH very hard to beleive. Must have been a hell of a tail wind.

if the GPH figure came from the smart craft gauge then it could have been lying to them...mine does ...to the tune of about 10%....but if they know the distance and the gallons burned then there would be no question of MPG.....and yes 4MPG even without a big load is impressive...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....