Thread: 270 WSM which round for sheep

Default 270 WSM which round for sheep

Well heck I just decided to leave the 325 and its 200 grn Accubonds at home this sheep season in favor of my brand new Tikka T3 270wsm. I bought a box of 130grn core lokt's to break her in with but thought that I would pose the question here as to which round should find its way into chamber when it counts. If anyone has a tikka 270wsm and has nailed down which premium load it likes then perhaps you can save me some $$$ in testing. The rotten tree test (shoot rotten tree 3 times then break it at the POI) produced a good bit of shrapnell from the rounds left in the tree though the did all fully penetrate. It was fun though and I got it rough sighted in just need to get some range time to fine tune it
    Yeah it's another which round thread and another sheep thread

I have a friend who shoots that rifle and cartridge and loves it. He's getting about .4 MOA with handloaded 130 gr TSX's. Fed premium offers those and also has the 110 gr TTSX.

If the 130 grain Core-lokts shoot well through your particular rifle, I would just use them. That load should be fine for sheep.

I have the exact gun...I have loaded up 130 Barnes TTSX's behind 67.0 of Reloader 22 for about 3215 FPS and .6 5 shot at 100 and .9 5 shot at 200. This makes sheep tremble when it hits the mountian.

Default Sheep cartridge

Lujon, I'm going to use my Nosler model 48 in .270WSM for sheep huntin' this year, I don't reload, but will learn this winter, because I don't have time to work up a load before August 10th, but I have tried them all, Remington, winchester, Norma, and Federal Premium, and the one that out performed all were the federal Premiums, topped with 130 grains Barnes TSX, this bullet seemed to work the best, and fast ( my average chrono speed was 3291 FPS, with the factory load, and will zero in easy at 200 yds) Winchester Supreme with 130 grain silver tips worked well also however I didn't like the performance of the bullet as well as the barnes. Prtty much a good cartridge with barnes TSX will do, I swear by these bullets, I used them in South Africa earlier this year and the bullets I recovered all retained 100% of their weight. I'm not endorsing Barnes or promoting them, I'm just telling you from my experience, and to save yourself the money and buy the Federal Premiums with Barnes TSX, I will admit the Federals Pemiums are not cheap( $52.99 a box) but you can work it from there for sighting in...good luck on the mountain !!!!

kahahawai: what length barrel did you chrono the Fed premiums out of?

24" barrel

Default No need for premiuns.

As someone already mentioned, you do not need a premiun/expensive bullet for your sheep hunt. Any factory fodder with Corelokts, Ballistic Tips
    Hornday SST's, Sierra's and Speers will work fine. Pick the one your rifle likes the best! Good luck!

I have had great luck with the Federal Premium 140 gr Nosler Accubond load. They give about 3250 ft/sec MV from a 24 inch tube. They are accurate, have a good BC, retain at least 70% of their weight and cost about 38 bucks. A pretty nice cartridge for lots of stuff.
    Last edited by Alpine; 06-30-2008 at 19:35. Reason: spelling