Thread: RPM's - New Motor

Default RPM's - New Motor

Hi I am looking for some advise.
    I just re-powered my 28' x 10' Bayliner Trophy with a new EFI 6.0L motor. The new motor tops out RPM's at 5000 (WOT). Just wondering what RPM's I should run the boat at?
    Currently it seems to cruise at 23 knots at 3600 rpms and about 18 knots at 3200 rpms. At 4000 rpms it cruises at 27 knots.

My old motor a volvo 260 (5.7l) carburated used to cruise at 22 knots at about 3800 rpm's and burned about 16 gph.

People have told me to find the "sweet spot," which I haven't found yet. The new motor only has about 10 hours on it and as much as I paid I want it to last a while.

What is a "safe" rpm's to run the new engine at?? Does having EFI make any difference on rpm's or just fuel consumption?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I don't have any experience with a Bayliner of that size but if you sign up with this forum, they will definately be able to help you. I use this all the time for help with my 24' Bayliner Trophy and they are awesome.

/www.baylinerownersclub.org/forum/

Dave

Smile Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I logged into the forum and got a wealth of information.

I took the boat out again today and it runs great. It seems to run best at about 3700 RPM's, however I am still in the break-in period so that may change. It is nice to be back on the water today.

Good luck fishing and boating this year!

Default break-in period

What is the break-in period for your engine?
    Thanks
    Will

Default Break-in Period

The break in period is 25 hours according to the manual. I am supposed to be running is different RPM's until the motor is broken in, then change the oil/filters and I should be good to go. After 10 hours I am to check all the manifold bolts to make sure they are tight.

So I have been cruising around PWS trying to get hours on it. I took my four year old son out yesterday and he caught his first pink salmon (unassisted) and that made him very happy.

I only have about 9 hours on it so far.