Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picked up my Tikka T3 30-06

Default Picked up my Tikka T3 30-06

Picked up a Tikka in 30-06 today - finally. With newer guns, do you normally start with smaller grain bullets - i.e. 150 or so, rather than 180-220 grain - for breaking it in? The only gun I've had before this is a Marlin 30-30, and it was well worn when I got it.

Probably going to put a Leupold scope on and try to get it to the range next weekend. Thanks in advance.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default Tikka

Great gun, and easy to carry. Perfect caliber. Sighting in a new gun is like Christmas to me. I think you should sight in with what you believe you will carry most of the time. I sighted in with 180 grain, but also carry a magazine that has 220 grain for close up stuff after an animal is down. 220 grain do not shoot well out of my '06 at any distance.

Whatever is cheapest for getting close accuracy wise, then switch to what you plan on using. Grain of bullet has no relevance on break in, nor does brake in have any relevance on a new rifle IMO.

The 165 gr and 180 gr bullets are probably the most popular 30.06 loads. If I had a 30.06 I would go with the 165 gr.

My personal recommendation would be to go with the Barnes TTSX or TSX, Nosler Accubond, or Nosler Partition in that order. You might try all three and others to see which is most accurate in your rifle.

If you go with a 180 gr TTSX or TSX you'll want to have at least a 1:11 twist in your barrel which the T3 30.06 does.

I wouldn't recommend heavier bullets in that rifle because they'll require a faster twist to stabalize unless you're shooting at very close range.

As far as break in goes, there are a lot of opinions on that. You'll find some threads in here on the subject. IMO, I think it's probably a good idea and don't think it can hurt if done properly.

Here are a couple of articles by Dan Lilja on the subject.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/support/...aintenance.htm

http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles...el_fouling.htm

Have fun with your new rifle.

Have you shot that Tikka yet? I bought a T3 in 270 WSM yesterday and it is the smoothest feeding rifle in my arsenal. I had to check to make sure it actually drove a round into the chamber there was such little felt difference between just cycling the bolt and actually feeding a cartridge ( I was told that all wizums had poor feeding habits)! I swapped that hockey puck recoil pad out for a limbsaver before I even took it to the range and the thing is an absolute joy to shoot. The recoil is not bad on it and I am sure I could have dealt with the hard pad but why beat yourself up for nothing? Congrats on the new rifle so far I really like mine we will see what a day or two at the range has to say!!

Great cartridge and can be used for a lot of things. Good luck shooting and hunting with your new 06.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Mark

Great choice on rifle and caliber, jmg. As for break-in, I agree with AlaskaCub:

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Whatever is cheapest for getting close accuracy wise, then switch to what you plan on using. Grain of bullet has no relevance on break in, nor does brake in have any relevance on a new rifle IMO.
    And MontanaRifleman gave some great links for break-in procedure.

Did you know that you can get oversized magazines for your Tikka? I got some 4 round mags (300 WinMag) for mine. I think they fit 5 30-06 rounds.

Default Awesome

Great gun jmg! there's some factory ammo (might be Winchester Super x in 150 or 180 grain) for .30-06 that is pretty cheap, around 12-13 dollars per box I think. I used that to get mine on paper and approximately 2-3" high at 100 yards, THEN I switched over to more premium ammo - no need to waste the good stuff until you're on paper and close to where you want to be!

Another thing brother - consider a PAST recoil pad or other recoil pad to wear while you're shooting on the range - no need to develop slight flinches while you're shooting 20-40 rounds per range session. Also, once you've got her sighted in where you want with the ammo you'll use to hunt with, forget about shooting on the bench, and spend your time practicing from sitting, kneeling, and offhand (at 100 yards) positions. that will really get you acquainted with your rifle!

Talking

I shoot 180 grainers. I load my own - cheap for practice, fancy for hunting.

Until this weekend, I've shot only 180s in my '06. I wanted to get really familiar with the rifle and load combo, and what it'll do out to 300 yards.

I've now started loading 150s for fun, but when hunting season comes back around, it's 180s. They're deadly farther than I can shoot 'em, and at '06 velocities the good ones will hold together well if I need them right up close.

A recoil pad might be a good investment. I needed one early on with my '06, then learned to handle the recoi. I can now put a box of ammo downrange without any flinch issues at all. Didn't used to be the case. Whatever you need to do to avoid bad habits - another take on one of the signature lines we often read would be: Practice makes permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Great choice on rifle and caliber, jmg. As for break-in, I agree with AlaskaCub:

And MontanaRifleman gave some great links for break-in procedure.

Did you know that you can get oversized magazines for your Tikka? I got some 4 round mags (300 WinMag) for mine. I think they fit 5 30-06 rounds.
    Hey Mark

Thanks for the link. Those look great. My understanding is that spare mags from Tikka are $80. So that is a great price to get 2 additional rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Hey Mark

Thanks for the link. Those look great. My understanding is that spare mags from Tikka are $80. So that is a great price to get 2 additional rounds.
    Too bad it doesn't look like they have em for my 270wsm. So have you shot it yet? Whatcha think about it?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Too bad it doesn't look like they have em for my 270wsm. So have you shot it yet? Whatcha think about it?
    Haven't shot it yet. Probably this weekend. Will let you know.

My springfield 30.06 runs 180 core-lokts with great accuracy. For the money it is a great round.

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    My springfield 30.06 runs 180 core-lokts with great accuracy. For the money it is a great round.
    I picked up a box of 150 and a box of 180 Core-Lokts earlier today to put through it, so those will be my first set through it.

JMG: I think you are gonna love that rifle! I shot a couple rounds touching today using a backpack for a rest so my rifle will group well. I couldn't put 3 together but that is my shooting not the rifle. I will have to take my vice to get it perfect but it is sighted well within moa of bear so it will have to do for this weekend. I finished shooting standing clays at 150 yards easily. I will hopefully get out with the vice in a couple weeks to fine tune it for sheep. I think that I will take it up to hatchers and shoot rocks with it at longer distances and various angles to get a feel for it in the mountains. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine! I will say that the limbsaver is well worth the $30, it fits as well as the stock pad and is substantialy softer than the hockey puck they bolted to it at the factory!

Default Nice gun!

I shoot 180 core-lokts out of my Remington 06 and have had great success, lots of one shoot kills.

Dam it! Now you've all done it - this thread has convinced me I need to get a T3. Maybe in 7MM for my boy : )

Anyone know where they are manufactured?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post
    I shoot 180 core-lokts out of my Remington 06 and have had great success, lots of one shoot kills.

Dam it! Now you've all done it - this thread has convinced me I need to get a T3. Maybe in 7MM for my boy : )

Anyone know where they are manufactured?
    I think Finland, at the Sako plant.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Have you shot that Tikka yet? I bought a T3 in 270 WSM yesterday and it is the smoothest feeding rifle in my arsenal. I had to check to make sure it actually drove a round into the chamber there was such little felt difference between just cycling the bolt and actually feeding a cartridge ( I was told that all wizums had poor feeding habits)! I swapped that hockey puck recoil pad out for a limbsaver before I even took it to the range and the thing is an absolute joy to shoot. The recoil is not bad on it and I am sure I could have dealt with the hard pad but why beat yourself up for nothing? Congrats on the new rifle so far I really like mine we will see what a day or two at the range has to say!!
    Hey LuJohn - did you have to get the "grind to fit" limbsaver, or was there one that already fit the Tikka?

JMG,

The make a limbersaver model specifically for the Tikka T3. I put one on my .300 WM Tikka before I even shot it. Its a pretty sweet setup and even easy on the shoulder. You'll like it.

What He Said

All you need is a few minutes and a standard #2 Philips head screwdriver to install it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast