Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian Bears

Default Russian Bears

Two cubs were darted this weekend.

The bears were scheduled to be relocated.

There's a nice black bear boar feeding on carcasses on the mid-point of the river.

Lot's of F&G, Forest Service and volunteers up and down the river... all are singing the same message: "Please chop the fish then throw it in the creek."

--- Oh, and the fishin in slowin down. There are fish in the creek... just 'thin'.

Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default bear cub

I watched one of the Brown Bear cubs saturday climb over the snow fence at the confluence and then walk up to a fish on a stringer tied to a log and proceed to drag everything back to the trees tearing down the fence in the process.

The guy whos fish it was said it was his first fish he ever caught but he didnt seem to mind since he got it all on video. I guess thats a different way to tell the same old story of the fish that got away.

Default I actually

saw two different black bears around midpoint of river last Tue/Wed nights....they are certainly out thick. Had one venture to within about 8 feet of me, but when I moved and splashed in river, he took off a runnin'....didn't want anything to do with a 'human' encounter....

Default bears

Any idea where the sow is that should be with the cubs? That cub looks pretty small to be traipsing around on his own. Looks like a nice meal for a big boar without mom around.

Default We saw two

little cubs like that just below the Red Salmon camp site trail Friday morning...no sign of momma anywhere. They wandered the river most of the day munching on carcasses.

My buddy got his limit and took the filets back to the truck and saw them on the road between Grayling and Pink Salmon parking areas. Later in the evening we saw them again down near Cottonwood Hole.

They were pretty much ignoring people and a lot of folks did the same and just kept on fishing. Too many people down there just tossing their fish out on the bank and walking back to catch another...it doesn't make for a safe situation.

John

I hope they find the sow, moving those 2 cubs on their own has probably spelled their doom. Kinda surprising that she hasn't been seen with her cubs, unless they are 3 year olds but they look awful small to be 3.

When we got to the Pink Salmon parking on Thursday night about 11:00pm a state trooper said someone shot at the sow and cubs down at the bottom of the stairs. I wonder if they hit her?

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    When we got to the Pink Salmon parking on Thursday night about 11:00pm a state trooper said someone shot at the sow and cubs down at the bottom of the stairs. I wonder if they hit her?

Great, another trigger happy moron.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Maybe not. But probably.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Momma

Quote Originally Posted by sculpin View Post
    Any idea where the sow is that should be with the cubs? That cub looks pretty small to be traipsing around on his own. Looks like a nice meal for a big boar without mom around.
    The tech said that the sow was killed last year. I was going to ask which sow (the dart that went bad, car, DLP, etc.) but then about 20 more folks showed up, and a trailer to haul the cubs... Needless to say, he didn't have the time to pay me the attention I deserved - so we moved on to get out of their way.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    That's a bold statement without knowing all the facts...

Quote Originally Posted by Flintlock View Post
    That's a bold statement without knowing all the facts...

Bold, Maybe
    But true, Probably

Default Cubs

IF this is the same cubs we saw on opening day 11 Jun. we saw the sow with the 2 cubs down by the grayling hole and followed them down to the cottonwood hole. Went back to fish the 26th and saw what looked like the same 2 cubs in the grayling hole and the sow was not to be seen, however some folks said they saw her quite away up river. This is just my assumption but I believe she was getting ready to kick them out the door this year anyway by the looks of things.

Hope they were the same cubs as the ones I am referring to were very healthy and looked like they could for the most part fend for themselves.

And it must be the same bears because there is just not that many grizz on the KP anyway right?

Default 26th Pic's

Pic's from the 26th
    Attached Images Attached Images

What ever happened to the idea of spray painting / color-coding the bears like last year? Kinda funny to see green, red, and yellow bears running around the kenai....I kinda' like the circus look! (Now, if they could only teach them to juggle...)

Default last week sometime...

I was fishing on the far side of the river along with two others. A much larger pair of browns than the cubs pictured here came along the bank behind us looking for fish. We had nowhere to go. The way across was in their direction and the water was too quick where we were to cross safely. One fellow had a fish on and we were mucho uncomfortable...

So - we grouped together in the water as far over as we could. Let the fish on the line relax to avoid splashing and simply let the bears go on upstream. At about 20 feet, they didn't bother us and we didn't bother them.

After a while, we landed the fish that was on and started fishing again. Everything was fine.

A short while later all he__ broke loose as the pair came crashing through the woods back at us. The pucker factor was extreme at this point. One of the fellows fishing there had a rescue flare - something I had never considered. He popped it off and man did those bears take off.

Now, what caused the bears to come back like that? A .... well let's use the term person, was chasing the bears with a tree branch beating it on the ground and at the bears. So thanks to this gent, we had a couple of upset bears heading right at us!

It was apparent what was going on and the flare was probably not needed at that point because it looked like the bears were headed down river and didn't give a hoot about us. But the distance was only about 15 feet at this point and a bear can cover that mighty quick. This is probably as close as I have come to a last ditch effort at protection and pulling my weapon but actually I only felt the need to be ready and not ... terminal.

Now for the rest of the story. About an hour later after a black bear on the same bank, the pair of browns came back and incredibly the "fellow" with the stick was still chasing them! This time we had the opportunity to say something to him and his reply was "those bears need to be taught a lesson."

OK - I hope his lesson does not include getting someone besides himself injured....

Default trouble

That guy is going to mess with the wrong bear---or those same bears at the wrong time. . . . and that will be that. Unfortunately, guys like that get other people hurt.

Report him!! Besides being stupid, ignorant and dangerous, Harassing wildlife is against the law.
    Many years ago I saw some idiot in a campground hit a about a 2 year old black bear with a bull whip. The bear was on him in one bound and proceded to ***** slap this loser into the next century!!! He got exactly what he deserved. He was messed up real bad with cuts a fractured skull and broken bones. I'll bet he now has a little respect for wild animals.

I heard the same thing when I was walking to Pink Salmon about 2 Am, Fri morning. Sure made me pay more attention while I was out there.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." Theodore Roosevelt, 1913

I sure would love to catch someone chasing the bearís that is just about the dumbest thing I have heard. I think I would have done more than just said something to the guy. traderjon I'm sure your pucker factor meter was pegged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast