Thread: Main Bay reds

Default Main Bay reds

Planning on heading over to Main Bay sometime over the July 4 weekend to snag for reds. Any word on how the run is looking so far there this year?

I would plan to go elsewhere this weekend. The commercial fleet will be out in full force up to the barrier seine, so if you manage to snake your way through all the nets, you'll find nearly every fish scooped up already. Unlike past years there will be little if any build up of fish in front of the hatchery due to the elimination of cost recovery efforts at Main Bay this year. There will commercial openings almost 24/7 for the complete run.

I wonder how the elimination of cost recovery is going to effect the runs. I take it that is the point but to what extent.

Maybe some of the commercial guys can chime in on the reasoning for a simpleton like me (not requesting a debate just a simple explaination). I hear elimination of cost recovery and I think run elimination but once again I don't claim to understand all the reasons behind it.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default heavy activity going on

I can attest to the activity in that area of the Sound. I spent the weekend near and around south Culross and there was constant activity and the rumble of motors all night from across Nellie Juan. Looked and sounded like the Dimond Mall parking lot down there.

Default What does this mean?

Main Bay is within the Eshamy District. So for those who can interpret, what does the following mean for those wanting to go into Main Bay to snag after Wednesday?

ESHAMY DISTRICT: The Eshamy District will open to commercial gillnet harvest for a 48-hour period from 8:00 am on Monday, June 30 until 8:00 am on Wednesday, July 2. The AGZ will be open to a line of buoys in front of the barrier seine to set gillnet only harvest during this period. The AGZ will be closed to drift gillnet harvest during this time. The harvest from the period that closed on Wednesday, June 25 was 43,964 chum and 93,813 sockeye salmon.

Default I have waited

until almost low tide and find I can get into Main Bay around the nets, but the pickins are pretty slim and you have to work for it.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

We'll probably cruise by and take a look at what's going on. If they guys are commercial fishing then it's too much trouble and too much risk of trying to weave in and out with all the nets out.

Default Please report back....

If any of you try over the 4th to get into Main Bay, let us know how it is and the best way to navigate through the maze of boats. Curious what this elimination of cost recovery efforts means and how it will affect us folks plans on taking a few Main Bay reds home. Planning on hitting Main Bay weekend after 4th.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Default Coghill?

Anyone checked out Coghill?

Default This Maybe Something You Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hunter View Post
    If any of you try over the 4th to get into Main Bay, let us know how it is and the best way to navigate through the maze of boats. Curious what this elimination of cost recovery efforts means and how it will affect us folks plans on taking a few Main Bay reds home. Planning on hitting Main Bay weekend after 4th.
    The way it was explained to me is that the hatchery contracts out a boat to go inside the net and net the fish once the hatchery has all the spawners they need. This fish is sold to the processor. The boat that nets the fish gets a part of the proceeds. Then the hatchery gets the rest for day-to-day operations to supplement their budget.

Once that amount is reached, then it is a free for all in Main Bay for the rest of the fish.

I could be wrong, but that was the way it was explained to me.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Unhappy hmmm...

Yeah Ive seen the boat on the inside of the nets scooping up the reds. So I wonder if this means there will just be a continuous opening for the commercial guys without any boundary limitations (i.e. right up to the nets), scooping up all the remaining fish. That will be interesting, I can imagine the maze of boats you will need to maneuver around to find fish. Im a little bummed out about this, I had a blast last year.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Default Sunday, June 29th

I poked into Main Bay to see what was going on... There were hundreds of boats...(more than I've ever seen in a bay) I guess they were lined up on the shore waiting to be cut loose for Monday's opener. I won't be wasting the fuel in going back to Main Bay...

Quote Originally Posted by WinMag View Post
    I poked into Main Bay to see what was going on... There were hundreds of boats...(more than I've ever seen in a bay) I guess they were lined up on the shore waiting to be cut loose for Monday's opener. I won't be wasting the fuel in going back to Main Bay...
    Looks like I will pass on that Sunday....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK