Thread: coating rifle

Default coating rifle

I was wondering if anybody could reccommend someone in town to coat my Win 70. It is matte blue and I want more protection from the elements. As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by coop3403 View Post
    I was wondering if anybody could reccommend someone in town to coat my Win 70. It is matte blue and I want more protection from the elements. As always, any help is greatly appreciated.
    If you're decent with an airbrush get some DuraCoat and do it yourself. Hit the parts with some alum ox media and start shooting... lay it down in several thin layers. Those coatings are extremely durable and resist the elements well.
    Hunting, camping & shooting goodies. http://www.laksupply.com

Default PM sent

Let me know if you need any more info from the pm I sent. Steve

I did the Duracoat and was very unhappy with it. My buddy and I did six guns each. We went to great lengths to see we followed the instructions to the letter. The Duracoat chips off and scratches easy.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Quote Originally Posted by coop3403 View Post
    I have the same question. Seems I read on an earlier forum there is someone in Eagle River who does some kind of coating that is durable. Can anyone refresh my memory?? Thanks
    NRA Lifetime Member

The new gun shop next to Wiggys does coating as well. Not sure the specifics, but pretty sure they get it done.

Smile How about.......

How about using the gun as is and sending it out to get the Cerecoat treatment when the blue is gone?

Degreasing and a good coat of rustolem has worked great on my duck/camp shotgun for the last 25 years. The primers are in your basic camo colors and olive drab is availble, touch up is simple. Don't over think the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnngrinn View Post
    I have the same question. Seems I read on an earlier forum there is someone in Eagle River who does some kind of coating that is durable. Can anyone refresh my memory?? Thanks
    That place is called CUSTOM FIREARM FINISHES .
    Here is their web site http://www.customfirearmfinishes.com/.
    I had my 500 done 2 years ago and it has held up great .
    The revolver has been on many hunts and has had a few thousand rounds through the tube since I had it finished .
    No scratches or chips although I do have a little wear at the end of the muzzle from rubbing in my chest holster and the paint at the muzzle end and at the end of the cylinder is much darker due to the smoke .
    Other than that the durocoat is great hands down .

RR

Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    How about using the gun as is and sending it out to get the Cerecoat treatment when the blue is gone?
    I'm finding very little info on "Cerecoat" online. Who does it and what sort of coating is it? The only "official" site I found online was in Spanish and the coating was for concrete floors.... I'm betting that's not the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by akav8r View Post
    I'm finding very little info on "Cerecoat" online. Who does it and what sort of coating is it? The only "official" site I found online was in Spanish and the coating was for concrete floors.... I'm betting that's not the same thing!
    Try Ceracoat or Cerakote, not "cerecoat."
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Nitride is the best

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Nitride is the best

That is what I've found also. I have not found any wear on this finish on two of my revolvers. For what ever that's worth.

I do like the nickel phosphates also. But they don't wear as well. They do make for a slick surface for the internals however.

I do have one rifle receiver that is nitrated, however it has not been used yet, so no brag on it.

I have a friend that has a vary early model 70 that is a jugged out .300 H&H (.300 Wby) it has been to India and Africa on more than a few trips and lived the life of a Alaskan hunting rifle for over 40 years and still looks brand new. It has a black chrome finish.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ak257 View Post
    Haha! I used to quotes to highlight the word I used. I didn't actually use quotes. However, even if I did it wouldn't matter with a single word. Quotes are useful in searches when you're looking for an exact phrase like "firearm coatings" or whatever. Quotes give you more narrow and sometimes more exact results in a search.

Quote Originally Posted by ak257 View Post
    Thanks. "Cerakote" gave me a lot better results. I'm thinking for a one-color durable finish, it will be hard to beat hard chrome. I'd rather keep the gun black, but it looks like black chrome isn't nearly as durable.

I just did some price checking. I can get a bolt gun Duracoated here (http://www.hoosierguncoat.net/Home_Page.html) for about $100 less (including $50 shipping) than I can at the place in Anchorage.