Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phantom sportjons

Default Phantom sportjons

Im thinking of getting one as soon as I can sell my 22 foot Woolridge Classic. I would like any information on them good and bad. All my running will be done on the Big Su Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Im thinking of getting one as soon as I can sell my 22 foot Woolridge Classic. I would like any information on them good and bad. All my running will be done on the Big Su Thanks
    you know that i'm gonna' have to give you a bunch crap if you get one.......
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    I would like any information on them good and bad.
    From what I hear they perform great but don't hold up as well as the competition.

I've got an '04 with the 210 carbureted engine. It performs very well, and at reasonable speeds gets better fuel economy than I expected. Running the Little Su around 18-22mph I got about 6 gph. Higher speeds or bigger loads, and that goes up. I think the newer models with the Optimax might do a little better on fuel, but they cost about $12-15K more than a used one like mine.

I've had it out of Homer to Compass Rose. It definitely ain't an ocean boat, but it'll catch halibut; just have to be very careful and get off the water when the chop starts. I've had it up to 46 mph with 2 guys and fishing gear, which is faster than I think a riverboat needs to go, but nice to know you can. On step, it runs really shallow, but you CAN beach it (see my "How shallow will it run" post).

The only mechanical problem I've had is the ignition stator went out once, with only about 75 hrs on it. Now it's fixed and runs like a champ.

I don't know much about the Jetcraft XS or SeaArk Predator, but I think they are a bit heavier than the Phantom, so you might lose a little power-weight ratio, but possibly gain a little durability. That's just speculation, though. So far I haven't damaged the hull by scraping or bumping rocks, gravel, trees, etc.

If you have any specific questions, or just want to take a look at it, shoot me a PM and I'll try to assist.

I've got an '06 with the 200 Optimax in it. I love that boat. It is great to haul my family and a ton of camping gear all over the Seward Peninsula. I generally cruise at 4000-4200 RPMs and it burns about 6 GPH and goes 28-30 MPH depending on the load, wind, current, etc. I now have 80 hours on it.

I have even once hauled two ATVs, a dead moose, and two guys with hunting gear. There wasn't any extra room for sure, but it moved the payload with relative ease.

I did develop two hairline cracks along some welds right after I got it. My local welder thought it was due to how the trailer bunks were positioned so far out near the edges of the boat with no middle support under the keel. I moved the bunks inward and then placed two more bunks under the craft as well. I check for cracks after every trip but have not experienced any more, in spite of running the vessel through heavy river and lake chop. So perhaps the welder was right on the money.

Would I buy a Sportjon again? Absolutely. I highly recommend the optional rear jack and some 3-4" PVC pipes as a desticking device should you run out of water. I can unstick it by myself with these items. Ask me how I know. The SJ will go scary shallow but can't run if the jet intake is above the water line. You'll need some ear muffs too.

Quote Originally Posted by dimrod View Post
    I did develop two hairline cracks along some welds right after I got it. My local welder thought it was due to how the trailer bunks were positioned so far out near the edges of the boat with no middle support under the keel.
    Very common problem on the Sportjon and yes is is due to the trailer bunks. They now sell a upgrade kit for the trailer that adds two bunks. I have not heard of trailering problems with the four bunk system. Does make you wonder about how tough they are when they break on the trailer

I think that AKRoadkill may have summed it up well in that one may sacrifice a little durability to save on weight. I'm not sure what the difference in mass is between the SJ and XS, but having a lighter boat with the same power package mens one can haul more payload assuming that the craft can handle the stress. After cramming a moose and 2 ATVs in there, I cannot physically pile more on. My SJ has shown no signs of breakdown with this load, even in choppy water.

I do question if the trailer bunk layout is a problem as to why they even are sold that way. You would think that issue would be corrected. Maybe it is now.

I do like my boat. It has exceeded my expectations. I'm confident that the XS would likely rise to the task as well.

I just got mine delivered, 2 mo late, but I've got 20 hr on it in 3 weeks and so far it has met or exceded my expectations. It'll haul a ton of stuff. so far no mechanical problems. It is really loud, but I knew it would be. I've run outboard jets in Idaho, and this boat is in a compleatly different class. It'll go shallow and I've got stuff to get her unstuck, which I'm sure I eventually will. My wife loves it. The grandkids love being warm and comfortable. Have been running the big and little su.
    where has this boat been all my life! Wish I had it to hunt ducks in Idaho in the fall.If you have any other questions pm me.

Thanks for all the information now I just have to sell my wooly. If any of you know someone who wants a 22 foot wooly classic and 3.9 acer on 20 mile sloug on the Yetna for $30.000 let me know Chris

Default Gonna have to sell mine...

If you're interested, I've got to sell mine; it looks like they're going to send me out of Alaska, and I won't be able to take it with me. It's an '04 210, with under 90 hours, brand new top, 40 gal tank, jack and wheel kit, stomp grate, etc. Runs fast and shallow.

I went from a 21' Wooldridge Classic to my 200 Opti SJ and never looked back. I was torn between the XS and SJ as well as most in the market. Great family boat as I'm not so paranoid about getting stuck. The thing hauls a ton(s) and sips the fuel. Welders in town are seeing just about as many XS's with hairline cracks as they are SJ's as I called several before I purchased the SJ, this is an issue with just about any thin walled aluminum boat, XS included...so I wouldn't consider that a concern. I did however upgrade my bunks as I haul it heavy up the haul road to go hunting.

The XS is more refined of a boat, the SJ a bit more primitive, however you end up with a lighter boat with better fuel economy and ease of yanking it off of a sandbar. Both fantastic boats, whichever one you get you'll be happy with. XS's have had a tough time with heaters for some reason whereas the SJ's are not. My heater about cooks me out of the cabin (unless it's idling...ugh) I went with the SJ mainly for the $ savings...$5K can buy alot of hunting gas!

Again, both great interior family boats with a great work ethic...you'd love either one.

akraodkill I cant buy anythihng until I sell the wooly Ellmar thanks for the info

Default hairline cracks

I'm surprised anyone with an XS would take it to a welder if they have a hairline crack in the hull. Lifetime hull warranty means it is on the manufacturers dime. I know some guys may find what they think are cracks but in reality they are seems where only one side is welded and the other left for expansion/contraction of the hull. If they welded both sides it would actually want to crack. This is how a boater friend explained it to me.

AKRoadkill-Sorry to here about your impending lose. Hope you've been able to have enough fun while it lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    AKRoadkill-Sorry to here about your impending lose. Hope you've been able to have enough fun while it lasted.
    Well, I've had fun, but I will have missed the main hunting seasons both years for training. I did get some fishing in, although this year has been abysmal at best, and I'll miss most of the silver run. I do plan on coming back though.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    I'm surprised anyone with an XS would take it to a welder if they have a hairline crack in the hull. Lifetime hull warranty means it is on the manufacturers dime.
    I have an XS, just picked mine up from the welder last week...cracks in the hull where the bottom was welded to the side......

Jetcraft ain't going to warranty rock damage, that's how most of the XS's are ending up at the welder...for the most part, the welds aren't going to just crack...lol...you have to help them....
    pull my finger....

Skybust, I was the guy you talked to at the landing Wednesday with the sportjon so you already saw what I did to the boat. As far as the bottoms on all these boats (SJ,XS,Predator) bottomline they suck!!! However that is only if you use the boats to explore areas no other boat will make it to. Yes this is lots of fun but unless you have an all steel boat they will crack bend and break. Having said that I just got mine back this spring from Karolds Welding in Fairbanks. I had him put a 3/16 marine grade alluminum bottom on with 1" angle alluminum for the chine. Also he added a piece of this to the sides of the boat to make it more rigid. So far the bottom has held up great and I have slid it across a few gravel bars and its still in good shape. Only thing I have noticed is you cant break it loose as easy as the old bottom which was nice and fun to do. No matter what you get though it will be lots of fun and should be a blast!!! If you have any questions though Skybust feel free to PM me.

polarisblake

One again I want to thank everyone for the information. Now help me sell my wooly then we can all get togather one sat or sun and run them

i wouldn't say that the bottoms on the XS sucks...they just are not a rock basher boat...i have about 160 hours on mine in 1.5 summers....i push the boat pretty hard but just try to avoid the can openers.......I think that if the bottoms were lousy I'd have found out by now..lol..you'd be hard pressed to open up the bottom just by sliding over gravel bars or bumping bottom...you have to hit something.....if you tag a rock hard it's gonna' cost ya..lol...not much different than most river boats (chriso being an exception to the rule...lol..)...I met up with a rock or 2 a couple weeks ago and it cost me $140...not bad....only thing I'd like to add would be a piece of angle to the inside where the bottom meets the side....

I'm not just talking up the boat I own, I have a list of things that I don't like about the boat, but for what I use the boat for, the bottom is just not one of them....

Skybust, I'm sure the Phantom is an awesome boat and you'll probably never regret getting one...except for all of the crap I'm gonna' give you...
    pull my finger....

Default All depends on what you want

I have a phantom sportjon 20-06 and absolutely love it for where I am and what I do. I would not buy another boat. It has its plusses and minuses, but it is "THE" boat for what I want to do with it. It will pretty much go where ever there is water. I don't plan on "opening" up the bottom, but take it in some crazy places and have come out alright with a few dents. Buy the boat the will do what is "Best" for you. My brother in law has an XS and it is a nice boat. Side by side, the phantom is much lighter and easier to get off if you are stuck, but the xs surely has more "comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    but the xs surely has more "comfort".

holy crap...if the XS's have more comfort then your Phantom must be terrible...lol....the lack of comfort is one of the items on my list of dis-likes...perhaps I'm just a wuss.....but I'm usually standing with my butt puckerd most of the time anyways so it's not that big of a deal....lol
    pull my finger....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast