Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Cost on

  1. #1

    Default Cost on

    30-06 1958 F.W. to get back to new...DUE to a 1/4 in of rust from win.And also for a total checkup?

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cabin View Post
    30-06 1958 F.W. to get back to new...DUE to a 1/4 in of rust from win.And also for a total checkup?

    What are you asking here, guy? What would it cost to refinish a M70 that has a 1/4" of rust on it? That is more than a refinish and could get expensive. Explain please.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    What are you asking here, guy? What would it cost to refinish a M70 that has a 1/4" of rust on it? That is more than a refinish and could get expensive. Explain please.
    I would just like the barrel redone to look like new.
    Thanks

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cabin View Post
    I would just like the barrel redone to look like new.
    Thanks

    Because........?

    Gun Smiths love questions like this. You mentioned R-U-S-T...has the barrel been submerged in salt water for more than three days? If you have rust inside the barrel rebluing will not help that at all. If there is scaling rust inside the barrel it is gone, will never shoot again, you have an action and a stock. I have polished and lapped rusted barrels and they were still ruined when I finished.

    Reblueing a barrel won't match the receiver. Reblueing just the barrel would require unscrewing the barrel form the action, which is more work and $$$. Reblueing requires refinishing the surface, this is most of the cost of reblueing. Throwing the barrel in the bluing tank is pretty simple it's all that buffing and polishing that cost money.

    A pre-64 Winchester M70 is very obvious when it has been refinished, they cannot be restored to look original. I can pick them out of a lineup, just driving by.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Because........?

    Gun Smiths love questions like this. You mentioned R-U-S-T...has the barrel been submerged in salt water for more than three days? If you have rust inside the barrel rebluing will not help that at all. If there is scaling rust inside the barrel it is gone, will never shoot again, you have an action and a stock. I have polished and lapped rusted barrels and they were still ruined when I finished.

    Reblueing a barrel won't match the receiver. Reblueing just the barrel would require unscrewing the barrel form the action, which is more work and $$$. Reblueing requires refinishing the surface, this is most of the cost of reblueing. Throwing the barrel in the bluing tank is pretty simple it's all that buffing and polishing that cost money.

    A pre-64 Winchester M70 is very obvious when it has been refinished, they cannot be restored to look original. I can pick them out of a lineup, just driving by.

    So would you say 500 for the whole gun to be done,in a like new state?

    Will never sell ...just want it to look like new from WIN.

    Thank You

  6. #6
    Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Palmer,Alaska
    Posts
    1,737

    Default

    I hate to disagree with the Murphy here but, they can be restored to look like new, but this is not the level of work found just down the road. I know of a few top restoration shops that do this type of work on a daily basis. It means sending the work out to the lower 48. These types of services including re-markings, but not for free. It just maybe finding a better barrel would be a lot cheaper. I keep take offs on hand when I get the old shot out and beaters into my collection. They are out there, you will need to haunt the Inter-net auction sites to find what you want. I know you will find them cheaper than a restoration. It may take a while to get what you want. There really is no mystery about a restoration, it's the equipment and knowledge that makes or brakes a restoration.

    Unless you have a vary rare caliber in your feather weight, I'd look for a take off for a replacement. Or if it is a class II, or III special order rifle. Then it's time to blow the wad on a restoration.

    If you just can't stand the idea of not having the rifle to be 100% perfect PM and I will get you contact information for two or three restoration out fits. I hope you have vary deep pockets.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

  7. #7
    Member Darreld Walton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Arco, Idaho
    Posts
    782

    Default Doug Turnbull ....

    But, he ain't cheap, and I'm not sure he'd stoop to doing a mere Model 70! $500 might cover the appraisal and down payment. The level of work you're talking about is above and beyond the cost of replacing the rifle, even a couple of rifles...

    http://www.turnbullrestoration.com/

  8. #8
    Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Palmer,Alaska
    Posts
    1,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    But, he ain't cheap, and I'm not sure he'd stoop to doing a mere Model 70! $500 might cover the appraisal and down payment. The level of work you're talking about is above and beyond the cost of replacing the rifle, even a couple of rifles...

    http://www.turnbullrestoration.com/
    He is last on my list, and it's not because of the money. Actually if you follow his advise, he's not all that expensive. He is just not that fast.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •