Thread: Talkeetna area fishing?

Default Talkeetna area fishing?

How is the fishing near Talkeetna? Any hot spots within an hour or two of driving distance? Salmon or trout?

Folks are catching kings in the Talkeetna, but it's pretty thin this year. Your best bet is a charter or drop off with one of the local services. There are still fish to be had at Sheep Creek and Montana Creek, but it's only open Sat, Sun, Mon for kings..lots of people there too. I sure hope the silver run is good this year, but I'm not holding my breath.

There are always rainbows in Montana and Sheep Creek, as well as the Talkeetna. Catch and release please.

When do the silvers move in?

ina couple weeks, at least that was the agreement we all had with them

I sure hope the Silver run isnt late and weak, like the King run. Let's just all keep our fingers crossed.

Thx for the tips, Clear creek was a pretty popular spot, and had some action packed runs in the mornings and evenings. Mahay shuttle was a decent choice. Expensive but, I didn't take the time to shop around...maybe next time I will.

Not too much in the way of options up at Clear creek for a shuttle. Mahays and tri-rivers run the same rate.

Glad you had a good trip. Any pics?

So I hear, I do have pics...they should be posting in the next week.

Indian River is a short train ride from Talkeetna. The rainbow fishing is good and the silver will be moving in before too long.

The whistle stop train runs from Thursday to Sunday.

Default Indian river

Could I get some more info on the fishing there. How much is a round trip ticket on the train? Do you fish the the mouth at the Su ? Does it get as good a run of silvers as Clear creek ? Any info would be nice . Always looking for out of the way spots with less crowding.

Nice pics Grayling Slayer. I wish I was there now to try that spot out. I tried the Montana for rainbows and only caught one in an evening. I heard later that the water level was very low at the time.

We made it back and had a great time. We had the camp site at the 266.7 mile bridge all to ourselves for the weekend. It was a little wet but worth it. We each caught a half dozen or so rainbows and a few grayling. We were trying not to catch the kings since the season is closed, but they were in there thick and biting at anything. I had one king take off with a black/yellow meps and I've never seen 10lb. line spool off a light spinning reel so fast.

I lost the biggest rainbow before I could bring it all the way in. He liked my purple/orange egg sucking leech.

We fished from the bridge all the way to the mouth. There are tons of little holes along the way. The going is a little tough along the bank but worth it. There are a bunch of grayling at the confluence that were biting dry flies. The R/T ticket from Talkeetna or Hurrican Gulch is $42. The schedule is on the AK railroad website. There are several places along the river where you can set up to camp and fish. The tracks follow the river for about 7 miles and there are fish all along the way.