Thread: 250 grn. Keith Special

Default 250 grn. Keith Special

My wife has her eye on my 6" 629 in a shoulder rig, wants to carry it as "the" firearm for protection. Have had in stock or store a couple of hundred rounds of PB .430" 250gr. Keith style bullets from Mt. Baldy now loaded with/in .44 Special cases, with 7.5 gr. Unique with WLP primers crimped with the Redding Profile Crimp die Series A

Knowing full well she is not a handgunner of any sorts I SUSPECT after shooting some 50 rounds of practice shots she should be versed enough to have the mind set to use the proper hand technique to deal with the standard bear-BooBoo.

I am hoping after I turned down her use of my .40 smith some yrs. back and the G20 she can do well with the Smith. It has the weight and bbl. length for sight control, as she mentioned she likes the balance and the pointability. Now for just getting used to carrying it around-it does now offer me a strong sense of greater assurance of self protection when she heads out to pick her berries or .........

I won't introduce her to my loads in the mag class, figure these Keith loads to do what is needed. Am I correct? Better than a sharp stick or a poke in the eye for sure!

regards,

Default .44 Smith for her Ladyship

I'm not really sure why you wouldn't let her shoot the .40 or the model 20 but that is between you two. I think it would be better to let her shoot a lot more then 50 rounds of .44 Special, then some standard 240 grain .44 mag, maybe several hundred, then graduate to heavier loads, ones that are appropriate for the 629. The more practice the better and the more rounds that are moved up the loads is best IMHO. A 250 grain Keith moving out at 1250 +/- is a potent load but not so hard on the novice shooter.

well I have loaded up some 18 rounds of 6.5grns of Unique and the 250grn hardcast and some 12 rounds of 7.5 grns. I want to keep her from experience anything dramatic in recoil at the start. The round of choice is far superior than what the 40 Smith could ever do for certain and the grip frame of the G20 is not the most ergonomic with a womans hands.

Down the road the BTB bullet 280 grn. with a mag primer and H110 would be the carry round "once" she gets the confidence of shooting and developing skill as a handgunner-I hope. The most "sensible" thing for her to do is carry her Win. 94 .30-30AI with 170 Partitions @ 2330fps-that would be more to her liking but.....it is a job thing.

Well I was hoping for more "field" experience here on the round of choice-well I'll carry on.

regards,

well just done shot some of these "plinker" loads-easy to shoot for sure. I am going to work these up from the 7.5grns to 9 to 9.5 grns and see what is up. I have quite a few of the 300grn gc and over but nothing this light. I am wondering when leading becomes an issue with the velocities in the pb 250's?

am curious to where I can get some 100 ea. 280 grn GC for this to reload relativley quick, anyone have a box to sell-need to get them in hand before the 7th and loaded and get her to make some practice shots. Presently I will have her shoot some 200 rounds of these around 950 fps and then .....hopefully get some good hardcast 300grn & under. Wonder if Sportsmans Wh. has some?

any help here?

I saw your original post yesterday but was out with some 44 special loads I had cooked up.

I started with some 240 grain Lazer cast with first SR-4756 then Blue Dot. I Then worked up to some BT 255 grain WFNPB at 930 fps from my stubby 3" M24. That is a snot slinging load in this little round butt. I've decided to put some soft girlie rubber grips on this thing and take off the very pretty masculine Eagle grips made from a sample of African Blackwood that I brought from that neck of the jungle. Wow that thing stings. I have shot this load before in my four inch square butt 24 with the full sized factory grips and it is much nicer but the lighter round butt with the hard wood is a bit fiesty.

I think the 44 special heavy load in a mag revolver is so nice to shoot. I ran these in the Ruger redhawk and had to check if the bullet actually left the barrel....where's the kick?

The Unique, 8 for 800 load in a four inch with the 250 grains is the well founded standard for the 44 spcl level of performance. If you use mag brass it will take 9.0 of unique to hit 800 fps. This should be an all day shootable load for her in the full sized gun. Unique with even #2 alloy if sized to fill the groove diameter won't lead until well above the 1000 fps mark. I don't have Unique on on hand and am using 4756 for the 800 ish loads and Blue Dot for the more serious loads.

If you can get her comfortable with even about 1000 fps wth that 250 grain Keith that will beat the Ten mm or the forty in the field. Harder bullets are better.

I think I have some of the BT 280 grain WFNGC's on the bench. I know I have some sized to .432" If you have a sizer for your size. I got them by mistake when I ordered on the phone. Marshall thought I asked for .432" and I was actually asking for .452" of the WFNGC 280 grain. We got it sorted out but I didn't exchange them, thought I'd resize them one day. My sizer and dies are in another state. I also have some of the .430" in the 280 grain I think and you're welcome to them if you want to try them. When will you be in town next? I'll check my stock and let you know for sure tonight.

I agree a big ole forty four beats four aces and claws and teeth anyday. Look out bear!!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Woman I try to keep in perspective, hard to imagine that unless they have had many yrs. of shooting it is unlikely that the recoil of mag. loads would be of any use-I've said that to many up and coming wanna be mag shooters/hunters.

First off, thanks for doing some ground work for me, I too was running up some loads yesterday evening and went from 6.5 grn. to 7.5 grns with the plain base and they shoot pleasantly and accurately but are not what I am use to but.....the wife should easily handle them. My concern is penetration with the 250's and suspect them to be 16-18".

I was wondering since this is not a "Keith" load which is at 1200fps avg and not a gas check leading is going to be a problem if I even get it past 1000 fps. My Chrony does not read past the first shot ......batteries are good as I measure them with my Fluke meter. So this will not get past perhaps 9 - 9.5 grn. of Unique and maybe 1100fps-just a guess.

I've some Speer 270 Gold Dots bought many yrs. back an could load them but I don't find favor with copper jacketed bullets opposed the hardcast-she could practice with mag brass and 20 grn or 21 grn of H110 and them bullets as well.

Thats funny-shooting and seemingly no bullet came out, my experience with the 6.5 grns as well-pretty soft.

I am pretty locked down for awhile and cannot get to town, so I suspect I will get these 250 Keith pb bullets to get over the 1000fps and await the next 5 hundred rounds of hardcast for her now personal .44magnum to be ordered/delivered.

Give me the Delta Junction fellas phone number and I will give him a talk and see what he can do. If I am right he is the one mentioned numerous times in the forums that cast up bullets.

The .44 Special +P loads with a Gas Check is close to what a .44 magnum is about. Think Elmer pushed his loads to 1200fps and Skeeter did 950 fps, all with the same 250grain 429421 bullet.

Yep, believe it to be better than the .40 Smith and the 10mm and better too than a sharp stick or a poke in the eye.

regards,