Thread: AR question?

Default AR question?

I was wondering if all the brands will work with each other? Does Bushmaster work with Armalite and etc.? Or are the parts brand specific? And say I have it chanbered in .223 is it possible to go to 308 and if so what parts make this possible? Just trying to figure out what this style of rifle is capable of so I can decide if I want one.
    Thanks
    Dono

Yes and no.

The AR comes in different platforms, or sizes. One is the AR-15 or the M16 size and is for the 5.56 Nato (223 Rem) family of cartridges but will also accept the upper for such calibers as 7.62x39 and it's many developmentals such as the 6 PPC, 22 PPC, 6.5 Grendel, 6X45, 6.8 SPC, etc.

This is a very versatile rifle and many, many accessories are available for it. Generally the owner/operator can self install the many parts or upgrades and all except the lower can be purchased via US Mail and no further hassle just place the order and wait for the new upper or accessories to arrive. It is a very enjoyable passion to develop your own look in this modular rifle system. My ten year old grandson is wanting a AR-15 in an A-4 flat top configuritation, with green furniture of course.
    Yes it's on order. The A-4 has a collapsable stock whic he reasons will fit him no matter what size he is and the flat top will enable the use of quick detachable folding sights as well as standard scope or red dot. Or the stock could be changed to fixed type sith appropriate drop for the standard match sights of the A-2. There is the many fore-end configurations such as short, mid length or long or quad rail, or............. well you get the idea!

There are about a dozen good companies makeing complete rifles, uppers and various parts and accessories for this AR-15 rifle. And yes bushmaster works with Armalite but fit may be less than the best for match level of accuracy and the match grade guns fit pretty tight and if you want match accuracy stay with a matched upper and lower.

Also size two is for the 308 or the 7.62x51 Nato round and these are generally referred to as AR-10s, though that conotations is actually Armalite corporations designation. The receiver for the AR-10 is larger and the AR-15 uppers will not fit the AR-10 lower receiver. There are several other calibers that fit the 308 platform namely the 300 RSAUM the 300 WSM and others. Armalite also makes an AR-30 that is developed for the 338 Lapua and will accept 300 WM and similar calibers. And of course the various fifties, Armalite, Barrett, etc.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Please be aware that there are "large pin" and "small pin" lowers out there. I think Colt is the "large pin" odd ball, most everyone else is "small pin".

Default Thanks

Thanks alot for the information guys that all helps in my decision. I will get one if I can convince the significant other. Wish me luck.
    Thanks
    Dono