Thread: Tangle river falls

Default Tangle river falls

I know theres falls just downstream from tangle lakes. How is the portage around them??? Is it easy to spot?

hi jim,

i assume you are talking about the start of the delta river at the north end of "long tangle lake".

yes, there is a marked portage trail. its on river right, its a BLM sign, pretty obvious, just keep river right as you pass sugerloaf mountain and you should have no trouble seeing it.

the portage is a 2-parter. the first is through muck(depending on recent rainfall) to a little pond that you have to paddle across. once across you then carry down the old river channel with lots of, usually, wet slippery, tippy rocks. not as bad as i make it sound, but ya' gotta be carefull ya' don't twist something.

the putin is a good spot, a little cove. then there is (maybe) a mile of so of rapids. check the river books for description and ratings.

good trip all in all. have fun.

-mike

Default Jim in Delta:

The Delta is one of my favorite canoeing rivers because the region it runs through is unlike many of the other rivers in the region. The Delta runs pure and clear with wonderful Grayling fishing almost all the way to the Richardson. Allow 3 easy days for this trip and the falls is not to be messed with. The take out is easy to see and you will hear the falls long before you see it. Stay river right and pull out at the BLM sign. Many years ago I was on the shrew that rebuilt the upper portage trail and it was and is still a mucky mess especially after a rain or early season.

Enjoy your trip and take the kids as this river is a great family trip!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Floated it last weekend. Awesome country great fishing did it with the family my 4 year old had some trouble with the portage rocky with steps here and there, not too muddy. Keep your eyes out for the little moose that lives there its been working that portage trail pretty hard. It was the only one we saw all trip. Not much for camping on the portage trail until the put in on the other side.

Thanks for all the info. How long is that portage?? Also is this trip one that you can do on a raft? My buddy just bought a new one. I have alot of miles in a jet boat, but Im brand new to floating. My other concern was how hard it was going to be getting across both lakes to the river in a raft. There was some mention of rapids?? How bad are they? If you guys did it with your kids, they must not be too bad.

The rapids are of the fast shallow type. No real big water, just lots and lots of rocks. I've seen them listed as Class III, but I would say there were on the lower end of that. You have to be pretty quick with a canoe, but a raft wouldn't be bad. Might bring a patch kit though...

Some friends of ours very nearly folded their canoe on a big rock below the falls last summer and had some dicey moments until I pulled them off with a throw line. So certainly nothing to mess around with.

I met a raft at the falls on the same trip, they used a small outboard to get across the lakes and through the slow stretches of river. You could row if you weren't in a hurry. The last part of the portage is pretty steep, so be prepared for some work getting the raft down.

Yk

The hardest part of the portage was inflating the raft twice. It's rocky/muddy with a little elevation change up on the way in, and down on the way out. With two guys you might not have to deflate your raft however the trail is tight in some places. I just rolled up my Levitator and put it on my frieghter frame. It took 3 1/2 hours for me to paddle from the boat launch across from the lodge to the portage trail with no wind. What kind of raft does your buddy have? I think next time I'll take my Pro Pioneer. Looking at google earth the portage is 370 yards to the pond 200 yards across the pond and another 200 yards down the hill back to the river. Hope this helps

Default raft portage

I floated it a couple of years ago it seemed as if the water level was low. After portaging my aire traveler around the falls we hiked back and looked at them. I would have been able to float the raft down to the falls and do a very short portage to the right. It would have saved alot of work. It may be worth looking at