Thread: Moving back to Alaska

Default Moving back to Alaska

Hi Guys,
    I'm new to the forum and would like to introduce myself ..... and ask a question.

I moved from Germany (retired from service) to South East Alaska where I lived for four years. I lived on Prince of Wales Island where fishing and hunting were "just out the door". Deer and bear were plentiful as was fresh and saltwater fish, shrimp, crab, and a large variety of shell fish.

Now I am taking a Civil Service job at Ft. Richardson (Anchorage) and will be living in the Eagle River - Peter's Creek area. I am mainly interested in deer, moose, bear, and elk hunting though it's not beneath me to harvest smaller game. Does the immediate area of Anchorage foster large game hunting or will I have to travel several hours before I am allowed to hunt? What large game can be harvested in that area.

Thanks,
    Harold

Harold- There are moose and bears within 1 1/2 hours of Anchorage that don't require a drawing permit. Closer if you do draw one of the permits for Anchorage area moose, bears and sheep.

Remember, you are going to be living in a city with over 250,000 residents and another 60,000+ that live in the valley to the north. That means lots of competition for hunting opportunities.

Even though I am two hours to the north the moose population in my area is dismal. Even the black bears are getting harder to hunt. I'm sure the big populations of grizzlies have a lot to do with this. Mobs of hunters along the road system don't help either. I've just resigned myself to saving money for fly-in hunts in more remote areas of the state every other year.

Default Welcome

Welcome to the forum Doc. AKDoug covered moose, bears and sheep...as far as I know, there aren't any deer or elk in close proximity to Anchorage, they're farther Southeast or on Kodiak...

Default just my thoughts

Ditto on what AK Doug said--and he lives in beautiful country!! Save the money and go on a quality hunt, where you will see more animals than hunters/four wheelers! I can't wait to get back home.

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for your replies. Sounds as if any serious hunting is to be done, I will need to return to my older hunting grounds on PoW. Maybe more will come to light as I learn my way around Anchorage.

Regards,
    Harold

i think you can do the moose and bears from anchorage, but the deer/elk aren't something you can really hunt out of Anchortown...

There are lots of little secrets to getting good values on hunting if you are a resident. My biggest one..besides getting a Permanent Fund check every year.. is to use an Alaska Airlines mileage credit card for every cash purchases and anyone else like utitilities that will take it....and pay it off every month. This enables me to fly anywhere Alaska Airlines flies in Alaska for 15,000 air miles. I can get to Ketchikan, Kodiak or Kotzebue without spending a dime of cash. This year I racked up enough miles to get both my son and I to Kodiak without spending anything.

I am really considering an Adak caribou hunt this way with my daughter for next year. No cash to get to Adak, only use my miles, and then spend the money to put some meat in the freezer.

Of course, befriending a guy with an airplane or boat is a good way to go too

If you want to get a moose out of SC, then you better get him on opening day. as for bear, way to many so-called bear hunters in the field. some are down right dangerous. I wont hunt this part of the state, furthest south I will hunt is unit 13.

Been shot at and glassed by a rifle scope(still atached to the rifle) around here. to many knucleheads who dont know crap about crap running around the woods.

I hope you find a honeyhole and dont tell anybody about it.

If you're willing to walk, you can find plenty of hunting within a 2-3 hour drive of Anchorage, and some within an hour if you know where to look. Having an archery certification will help, as will a hunter education course, as both of those open up additional hunting opportunities. Yep, the success rates off the road system are generally lower, but you can have plenty of uncrowded hunting near Anchorage if you don't mind hiking where there aren't ATV trails. I go out nearly every weekend in the fall and rarely see another hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by DOC HAROLD View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I'm new to the forum and would like to introduce myself ..... and ask a question.

I moved from Germany (retired from service) to South East Alaska where I lived for four years. I lived on Prince of Wales Island where fishing and hunting were "just out the door". Deer and bear were plentiful as was fresh and saltwater fish, shrimp, crab, and a large variety of shell fish.

Now I am taking a Civil Service job at Ft. Richardson (Anchorage) and will be living in the Eagle River - Peter's Creek area. I am mainly interested in deer, moose, bear, and elk hunting though it's not beneath me to harvest smaller game. Does the immediate area of Anchorage foster large game hunting or will I have to travel several hours before I am allowed to hunt? What large game can be harvested in that area.

Thanks,
    Harold
    Welcome home, Doc!

Good info all around. I'll add that you don't have to go as far as POW for elk and deer. Kodiak and Afognak are closer, and you can find deer in PWS. I'll add that in addition to the archery certification, muzzleloader certification opens the door to draws for hunts closer to your home. Much as I love archery, my hands won't let it happen any more, so I make up the difference with traditional muzzleloaders. They have the potential to stretch the range a little over archery, but more than that they require a little less practice to become proficient. That can be a big deal when time is short as you're settling into a new job. Downside is that they're as addictive as street drugs.

Default Welcome Home, but

live in the valley. Your pocket book and nerves will be better for you.

Good luck at Ft. Rich. I used to be in the HR department there.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

The good Mayor of Anchor town never met a bond he didn't like. New taxes? who needs new taxes we'll just make the old ones bigger...

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    live in the valley. Your pocket book and nerves will be better for you.

Good luck at Ft. Rich. I used to be in the HR department there.
    Not so sure about the pocket book being better for him with commuting prices if he already has a job on Ft Rich. Eagle River would be perfect.

Just curious - how much is an average valley commuter spending now days to get Anchorage 5 times a week? Yikes.

In my sweeeeet new Chevy Aveo
    If I went in and out 5 days a week it would cost me $230 per month
    I commute 4x per week (long hours save $$$) $184 per month
    This is year round

With my old jeep liberty it was costing me ~300+ per month for 4 days per month 2/wd in summer
    In winter it was costing me $370 to run it 4wd!! for 4 days per week

If I was running 5 days per week in the winter in 4wd I would shell out ~475 per month!!!

Default Not much

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot2Kill View Post
    Not so sure about the pocket book being better for him with commuting prices if he already has a job on Ft Rich. Eagle River would be perfect.

Just curious - how much is an average valley commuter spending now days to get Anchorage 5 times a week? Yikes.
    I rode a commuter van. The feds gave me $120 a month (in coupons) and it cost me $2 out of my own pocket. Ft. Rich and Elmendorf has lots of vans going. Maybe a waiting list now.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Hi guys,

Have been out of the net due to the move. Am now in Chugiak, AK in my new home on Mirror Lake. Have been checking out the place. As soon as the Frau and I finish unpacking, I will seriously recon the area.

Thanks for all the info.

Harold