Thread: China Poot Reds

Question China Poot Reds

When do Reds start running into China Poot?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

i heard a couple were caught the other day.....maybe Homer Dave knows
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Might have to bring my net next week down.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Dip netting starts on July 1st, but haven't heard if the fish are around.

Saw a few in the bucket yesterday evening. Talked to a guy that went over today and they got nothing. I would say they haven't showed yet.

Default Good Luck

Good luck beating the commercial fisherman. Last year I went over three days in a row, all three times a commercial guy had his nets stretched from shore to shore in front of the creek. After he left hardily any fish left to be caught. Then people were wondering how come no fish? I would explain a commercial boat was there every morning.

It kind of pissed me off that this guy would “steal” the opportunity from the “sport” fishers looking to dip net a couple of reds. Yeah, I know he has a family to feed and the commercial fishery pays for the fish a china poot. Just saw a lot of disappointed families and kids that weekend with empty nets.
    He did however let us snag out of his nets while he was there.

Default Cost Recovery

If that commerical boat was there the first part of July it's a very good chance it was one of 2 cost recovery boats run by CIAA. . They catch reds to pay for the restocking every year. The rest of China Poot Bay is closed to any commercial fisjing till cost recovery has gotten the amount of reds to pay for restocking (in 2008 it's I beleve 99,000 dollars ) With restocking the sports guys still have yearly access to the fish that do make it into the stream for dipping.

Default china poot reds

talked to someone who went over today... there were 6 fish. they got 2 of them.<grin>
    when the reds are in nobody who knows what they are doing comes back fishless... but you gotta play the tides, the crowds, and the commercial openers.
    NOBODY should complain about the commercial openers!!!! they pay for those fish, we are just collateral benefish-ee-aries.
    i mean really, 6 little kasilof stock reds is nothing to get too excited about, but they smoke up okay.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/