Thread: kayak and hike trip in Kachemak

Default kayak and hike trip in Kachemak

We are planning a 2 day kayak/hike trip to homer and have some questions. We want to hike the grewingk glacier trail for sure. Any advise on the best areas to kayak? Can you kayak from the homer spit to Halibut Cove or China Poot bay, or do you need a water taxi? Thanks

Default depends on your skill level, and the weather....

kayaking from the spit to the other side is iffy at best, usually attempted by experienced paddlers in perfect weather/tidal conditions.
    my suggestion would be to do the glacier hike, then get picked up and taken (with your kayaks) either into halibut cove lagoon, china poot bay, or over to the kayak beach/tutka area.
    look into renting a yurt, there are several located in prime kayak areas.
    happy to answer any questions you have...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

be bear aware for sure and bring your spray we hiked it 2 weeks ago and saw lots of very fresh bear sign.
    do the water taxi

Definately take the water taxi over. There is a book about kayaking around the various coves on the other side of K-bay, and it would be well worth getting the book to research your trip.

HomerDave reported that the tram was closed down a couple of weeks ago, so I would check to see if it's been repaired or if it is in service before you attempt to go do the Grewink Glacier Trail.

Default grewingk glacier recent post with pics

I think there was a post in the last couple weeks of some one who went there & posted a good picture at the glaicer with some ice.
    However now I am trying to find it & can't. Anyone now which post I am refering to or where I can find it?

If you click on my profile and scroll through my album, you'll see a pic of the tram and a couple of the glacier. I posted some photos a week or two ago but don't remember which ones. I also have several more if you are interested in seeing them.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    I think there was a post in the last couple weeks of some one who went there & posted a good picture at the glaicer with some ice.
    However now I am trying to find it & can't. Anyone now which post I am refering to or where I can find it?