Thread: Copper River CLosed?

Default Copper River CLosed?

Is the Copper river closed to dipnetting or just commercial fishing over the July 4th weekend? Getting two different stories.

Default still open

just listened to hems recording open to 6th of july then it may be closed
    because of low return numbers. looking at the sonar numbers it will close unless the numbers spike up befor the 6th. they are still below the projected by around 30,000 fish. Good luck I am headed tonight.

Thank you good luck

Default Seems odd

It seems odd that they would close down the dipnet fishery because ONLY 401,309 fish have went past the miles lake sonar. I did hear they closed down the commercial fishery down out of Cordova until the numbers increase. The last time they did this, the numbers more than doubled during the commercial closure. Hopefully this is the case this year because I am heading down mid July. Maybe they would get so many fish they open the supplemental of 10 extra sockeye

CubeCove

Default chitina a bust

fished late saturday and all day sunday and only four fish
    talked with several parties fishing from shore all had about the same results have to make another trip later in the year.

Not sure if this has any merit, but I noticed that most (over 80%) of the salmon are on the south side of the Miles Lake sonar. Do you think they stay on one side of the river while they migrate upstream or cross from one side to the other? It is interesting that so few are being counted on the north side, the side most people dipnet from shore on.

CubeCove

Quote Originally Posted by cubecove View Post
    Not sure if this has any merit, but I noticed that most (over 80%) of the salmon are on the south side of the Miles Lake sonar. Do you think they stay on one side of the river while they migrate upstream or cross from one side to the other? It is interesting that so few are being counted on the north side, the side most people dipnet from shore on.

CubeCove
    That's always going to be true ...the currents determine where the fish like to run. That's why finding the right spot is important ...it'll produce again and again. Atsa alla I'm a-gonna say...

Brian

I never really paid attention to which side the fish were on in previous years, but I have always had luck in one place on the river, even when others were going home with few or none, and I get there by going out the trail. It is a popular spot and sometimes I have to wait for the honey hole to open up, but usually not too long.

Hopefully the numbers come up so they don't shut down the dipnetting the week I am wanting to go.

CubeCove

I spoke with Glenallen fish and game a couple of days ago. They said that there might be time restrictions after the 6th but doubted that the whole thing would get shut down.