Thread: Baranof Island Goats

Default Baranof Island Goats

Has anyone hunted goats on Baranof Is.? I spoke with a pilot last week that used to drop off hunters in various lakes out of Sitka. Says they did fairly well.

Default Those that lived

Ya....those that lived are doing just fine. We still have above average snow on the mountain tops for this time of year but things are greening up just fine.

Its really hard saying how they did until later when it's easier to count them against the brown and green alpine.

Come on down and chase one down, you'll at least go home with some memories and a bear encounter or two.

Thumbs up Yup!

Go hunt one.

My story from last fall is here.

Fantastic story! I live in Juneau, and have hunted goats many times, but could fill a book with stories of what went wrong! From Misty Fiords, in a 6 day down-pour, To Berners Bay and swamping the boat. Ah, goat hunting!

Default good stuff

It certainly is an event of adversity. Even the most perfect goat hunt still involves getting it off the mountain. Bitter Sweet pain. I still wonder how long my back will hold up. I really like a no nonsense guy to go into the brush with for a goat hunt. There is never a trail and it's never easy so a get-er-done attitude goes over really well.

I once left my boat at an anchorage with two heavy, heavy anchors that I had used successfully a number of times previous. Well I headed back a valley for a multiday goat hunt and a serious wind and ice storm blew in. When I came back to the boat it wasn't there anymore. Thank god I was prepared with a VHF. I've used that thing a couple times. I got the local SAR involved and they found my boat way down the bay on ground. I stayed with it until the tide floated her and headed home.