Thread: Jet Compatability ?

Talking Jet Compatability ?

I have a question, Could a guy take a jet unit of a late 70's Evinrude and put it on say a 90 hp yamaha? I know there is a spacer to get the holes to line up. I think they are or were compatable. I think there is a single size for all 3 cyl. engines and a single size for 4 cyl. and so on. Am I wrong about this.
    Thanks for the input.

Thumbs down VERY doubtful

If it fit I would be very surprised. They have different drive shaft designs (# of splines) and so forth. The mounting bolt pattern is probably different as well. You may be able to cross reference some at this site -

www.outboardjets.com
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Question Jet

The mounting holes are differant, To make the units universal, they use an adapter plate that fits between the jet unit and the motor. Would it be possible to get a new shaft?

Default I'm not sure...

You would need a shaft that is splined for the Yamaha engine, then on the other end, splined for the existing impeller/water pump. I'm not sure if the diameter is the same and it is just a spline difference or what. I'm kind of in the same situation. I'm trying to retro-fit a jet unit from an older Johnson to a newer Johnson. The old unit has a 4-spline shaft, but my engine needs the 17 spline version. Since it is on the same brand motor, I think I can get away with a $155 drive shaft. A shaft and adapter plate may be the missing links for you as well.

Looks like on the website I linked, there are two different part numbers for your motors. The unit for the 70's model 70 hp. (guessing on your hp) Evinrude is an L60CL and the 90 hp. Yamaha is a Y90 (2-stroke) and a Y100 (4-stroke). If you contact the site with the two motor descriptions, they may be able to give you the simple plan to make it work.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Jet

I emailed Outboard jets so I wait for there email and post what they said. I think the shaft diameter is the same, but the splines, I would need a new shaft probably. It would make sense if the units were the same from a manufactruing point of veiw.