Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC Hand gun selection

Default CC Hand gun selection

I'm in the market to get a new CCW and have decided to get a glock. Now the question I have been torn between the glock 19 "9mm" or the glock 23 "40S&W". I can shoot 9mm a lot cheaper at the range, but it doesn't have the stopping power of the 40. I can shot them both well so recoil doesn't really affect me. Also has anyone shot the 19c or the 23c. From what reading I can find, they say that helps a ton with fallow up shots. Any info would be great.

I think you already have your answer.

You know 9mm ammo can be found cheaper than forty ammo.

You know that recoil is more for a forty but can shoot either well, recoil doesn't afect you.

But a compensator (muzzle brake) will hold the muzzle down and make follow up shots quicker/easier/better. (Not a big difference)

Both the 19 and the 23 are mid sized guns, so size matters some.

Here's your answer; You need a Glock M37 GAP.

It is larger and more difficult to conceal.

It has more stopping power than the other two.

It is the most expensive ammo of any of the Glock calibers.

It has more recoil than a forty, but that doesn't matter.

Sorry just joshin' with ya.

Get the M23 (no C).
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Why not try the new Springfield XDM

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

If you like the 9mm then.........the 10mm is better! G20 or the G29, a comparable handgun for sure.

I gave my daughter a 40 Smith and she loves it-now she wants me to get her another...in the 40 Smith.

oh well, guess I have learned one thing in life that it is hard for me and/or some to be content with just buying or owning one handgun or.....rifles

let us know what you decided we'll cheer you on!

I have the 19 as my EDC, and wouldn't have it any other way. The 9mm can be just as effective as .40, just depends where you place your shots. I've given up in buying into the whole "bigger is better" hype. I'd rather carry a gun that I can shoot accurately, and get my bullets where I want them to, than carry a big caliber that I can't shoot worth a darn.

I personally chose the 9mm because it's available everywhere and inexpensive compared to the others. The money you save can be spent on ammo for more practice; that extra range time will help you out much more than a larger bullet when you're talking about two-legged critters. This is one reason I won't carry a G29.... although I LOVE the 10mm (have two) and OC them in the sticks often, they are cost-prohibitive to shoot (compared to the 9mm) and ammo is not readily available if the SHTF while you're not home.

I like .40 and IMO it's one of the best cartridges out there..... extremely versatile. However, it's pretty snappy in the sub-compact (mine's a G26) and I absolutely do not want a compensated or ported weapon for CCW. Out of position shooting can be painful (burns hurt), powder in the eyes is unpleasant, and your night vision is toast if it's used in low-light situations. If I ever have to use any of my carry guns it will be because my life or the life of somebody else is in danger.... struggling with an assailant is definitely not the time to catch a face full of heat, burning powder and gases.

The 9mm fits very well.... with the current crop of ammo available you don't need anything larger if you're remotely doing your part. 9mm +P from places like Double Tap is comparable in ballistics to the 125 gr. stuff that gave the .357 mag it's man-stopping reputation. 124 gr. Gold Dot HP's from DT Ammo do @ 1250 from my G26.... that's around 450 lbs of energy. If you can't put down an attacker with that you're not doing your job with shot placement.

I tried to find the perfect CCW gun a while back... it doesn't exist. I had my eye on the Kahr PM9 and PM40, but they're not quite a pocket gun and not quite a sub-compact. I didn't really see the point having something in between; if you're going that small it means you really want to hide it. If you're going any larger you may as well have the 10 round capacity and a better-shooting weapon. That line of thought axed the Kahr, although they are very nice pistols and I will probably buy one someday.

At the end of the day my KelTec P3AT gets used for deep concealment or convenient carry when I don't feel like clipping on a holster. The S&W Airweight 442 is mainly carried by my wife, except on my hiking trips when it's a dedicated snake-shot gun. It's also used by me for a pocket gun once in a while. The G26 is what I carry IWB in the summer time when there's only one layer to hide something or when I'm tucked in, and also other times of year when I don't feel like having a full-size or compact riding on my hip. The SIG 229 and HK USP9 are great in parts of the winter/spring/fall when a jacket provides appropriate cover for a low-profile belt holster. I almost never carry any of the larger stuff when I'm worried about concealment.

I guess the points I'm trying to make are: The 9mm is more than adequate. Shoot what you control best even if it's a little smaller. Consider what you're willing to pack around every day; any gun is useless if it's in the car while the store you're in is getting robbed by a nut with a gun. DON'T use a ported gun for your CCW. Shot placement is key... practice often with the gun you carry.
    Hunting, camping & shooting goodies. http://www.laksupply.com

I'd go for a model 23. For about $100 you can put a 9mm barrel in the 23. You can't put a .40 barrel in a model 19. I think you can also put a 357 sig barrel in the 23. It makes the m23 a very versatile gun.
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Quote Originally Posted by aces-n-eights View Post
    I'd go for a model 23. For about $100 you can put a 9mm barrel in the 23. You can't put a .40 barrel in a model 19. I think you can also put a 357 sig barrel in the 23. It makes the m23 a very versatile gun.
    You have to change more than the barrel to reliably run 9mm in the 23..... ejector and extractor should be swapped out as well. The 1mm difference in the cut is a lot when it comes to a gun I'd bet my life on.

Went with the G27 for the wife. She shoots it well but might prefer a lesser recoil when at the range. I figure that shooting a lighter load will help her develop better habits that she can dovetail into her 40. I bought the storm lake conversion to 9mm with two ports (for range use). That with two G26 mags and two mag extensions was ~175 bucks. Just got it in the mail yesterday and haven't got a chance to use it yet, but hopefully she likes it.

Stock .40 barrel

Storm lake G27 9mm Conversion

Since the frame size is the same for the G-19 and G-23, it's really only a matter of personal preference. With the 19 you gain a little ammo capacity. With the 23 you gain a little bullet diameter and weight, but sacrifice a little ammo capacity.

With today's premium defensive ammo, there isn't going to much of a discernable difference between the 9mm and .40. Both will ruin a badguy's medical records and I'd feel confident carrying either one.

As for the compensated models..........Stay away from them as carry weapons. They're great for whanging away at the range and competition, but if you ever have to shoot defensively from a close-in retention position, you're going to catch a face full of hot gases as they're jetted up through the compensator. Not to mention the additional flash from some of the non-flash suppressed ammo out there if you have to shoot in low light/night situations.
    Now what ?

hunt ak. Please tell how that barrell works for you. Does a person have to change anything else out like the slide or any of the parts inside of the slide. Or can you just take it apart and put the new barrell in it with a few mags and be on the way to shotting? I'm very interested in this. It seems that you get two guns for a good price.

Nope, the barrel diameter is the same as the 40 (wall thickness is greater to maintain overall diameter dimensions) and it drops right in place. The biggest thing was getting the stock floorplates off the magazines for the grip extensions! What a major PITA!! I'll let you know how it goes with the new barrel...

Default your choice

While I have owned Glocks before, I think they are extremely reliable, accurate and great pistols, however, with that said, I think the Springfield XD is a better choice in that it has the grip safety. I would think twice about carrying a Glock with a round in a chamber after carrying an XD for 2 years. One time I remember that I scared the hell out of myself when I was removing my loaded and cocked XD from it's holster. While I was walking across my br, I stumbled over a shoe or something on the floor and accidentally, in lifting it out of the holster had my hand slip and a finger actually went onto the trigger and half assed pulled the trigger. In that the grip safety wasn't touched, it didn't go off. If it was a Glock, it would have been real possible that it would have probably fired, either hitting me in the leg or going thru the floor to the 1st floor below and possibly hitting someone. The XD, with it's grip safety, is physically impossible for it to go off without depressing the grip safety. I also like the little raised piece of metal on the top that tells you, just by feel at night(or sight during day), that there is a round in the chamber AND the little silver tit at the back of the pistol tells you by sticking out, either by feel or sight, it's cocked also. The Glock, while a great piece, doesn't have those safety mechanisms and the grip safety on the XD, I think, are EXTREMELY important. I feel extremely confident it'll never go off when I'm carrying it or accidentally if I dropped it either. Also, there's no physical safety on it to worry about in a stressful perp situation. Just draw and shoot. Another safety is something you don't want to have to worry about, which is one reason I don't carry a 1911 or HiPower anymore. I do NOT like the new Springfield XDM's with the safety on it tho and won't have one for it's just something else that could impede you to get to your goal of the 1.5 seconds it should take to draw and hit your target.

As to choice of calibers, load it with some hot 9mm+p for carry ammo and practice with CCI Blazers. Cheapest ammo out there @ $11 a box at Sportsman's. You not only can practice with the gun you carry but with +P, it's pretty darn powerful to boot and the recoil of a 9 is less than a 40 or 45.

The XD is a nice pistol, but I wouldn't carry one unless they got the finish issue resolved. The finishes on them were wearing off and the guns were actually getting some surface rust for a while there.... don't know they've corrected the issue or not, but that makes for a bad carry gun if you ever sweat. Other than that I've really enjoyed the ones I've shot....

Quote Originally Posted by bearclaw46 View Post
    While I have owned Glocks before, I think they are extremely reliable, accurate and great pistols, however, with that said, I think the Springfield XD is a better choice in that it has the grip safety. I would think twice about carrying a Glock with a round in a chamber after carrying an XD for 2 years. One time I remember that I scared the hell out of myself when I was removing my loaded and cocked XD from it's holster. While I was walking across my br, I stumbled over a shoe or something on the floor and accidentally, in lifting it out of the holster had my hand slip and a finger actually went onto the trigger and half assed pulled the trigger. In that the grip safety wasn't touched, it didn't go off. If it was a Glock, it would have been real possible that it would have probably fired, either hitting me in the leg or going thru the floor to the 1st floor below and possibly hitting someone. The XD, with it's grip safety, is physically impossible for it to go off without depressing the grip safety. I also like the little raised piece of metal on the top that tells you, just by feel at night(or sight during day), that there is a round in the chamber AND the little silver tit at the back of the pistol tells you by sticking out, either by feel or sight, it's cocked also. The Glock, while a great piece, doesn't have those safety mechanisms and the grip safety on the XD, I think, are EXTREMELY important. I feel extremely confident it'll never go off when I'm carrying it or accidentally if I dropped it either. Also, there's no physical safety on it to worry about in a stressful perp situation. Just draw and shoot. Another safety is something you don't want to have to worry about, which is one reason I don't carry a 1911 or HiPower anymore. I do NOT like the new Springfield XDM's with the safety on it tho and won't have one for it's just something else that could impede you to get to your goal of the 1.5 seconds it should take to draw and hit your target.

As to choice of calibers, load it with some hot 9mm+p for carry ammo and practice with CCI Blazers. Cheapest ammo out there @ $11 a box at Sportsman's. You not only can practice with the gun you carry but with +P, it's pretty darn powerful to boot and the recoil of a 9 is less than a 40 or 45.

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I'm in the market to get a new CCW and have decided to get a glock. Now the question I have been torn between the glock 19 "9mm" or the glock 23 "40S&W". I can shoot 9mm a lot cheaper at the range, but it doesn't have the stopping power of the 40. I can shot them both well so recoil doesn't really affect me. Also has anyone shot the 19c or the 23c. From what reading I can find, they say that helps a ton with fallow up shots. Any info would be great.
    If it were me, I'd go with the straight 23. I'd opt for the night sight version though. I carry a 27 which holds 9 rounds, but I also pack an extra glock 22 magazine which holds 15. It really isn't any harder to conceal than a 27 mag because it rides vertically. The 4" XD is a bit larger than the glock 23 and is also heavier. I've shot pretty much the whole XD line and while I like them because of their grip angle, I prefer the Glocks for a couple reasons. Your hand sits quite a bit higher on the grip of a glock than with the XD. The weight difference between the glocks and comparable XDs are significant. The grip safety is pretty cool, but keeping your finger off the trigger unless you're pointed in on target is about as safe as it gets. I've been out of the XD world for a year and a half now, but the blued finish would wear very fast. If I had one of those, Duracoat would be employed in short order.

One more thing. Can I just get a new 9mm mags for a glock 19 and use them with the barrell in a glock 23? Will it fit in the mag well just like a g23 mag?

One more thing. Can I just get a new 9mm mags for a glock 19 and use them with the barrell in a glock 23? Will it fit in the mag well just like a g23 mag?
    The mags on the small frame Glocks are all the same outside spec.... length is the only thing you have to worry about. You can use the .40 or 9mm mags in the same gun, just as you can the 45 and 10mm in the larger frames. If you get the .40 and want to go 9mm make sure you get the extractor and ejector for the 9mm as well. Many folks say you don't need it, but I certainly wouldn't trust my life to a gun that not only has a larger face area than the 9mm but also a 1mm difference in spec for the extraction process. If you feel your life is worth an extra $40 it's a good thing to do.

The magazines will fit, but no, the G19 barrel will not fit in the G23. You must buy an aftermarket conversion barrel as the outside diameter is different between the two. You can find conversion barrels for around $100.

The only barrel conversion with stock Glock barrels that will work is between .40S&W and .357Sig. These two guns are identical in every way, except the size of the hole bored down the barrel. Even the magazines will swap.

Yes, you can also change out the extractor (it's a $20 part) to get a more reliable 9mm function in a .40S&W, but if you're just using the conversion for practice, you don't have to do this. Swap the barrels and mags back up to .40S&W for carry use. A barrel swap takes all of 20 seconds, yet it only takes another 60 seconds to also swap extractors. The choice is yours.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I like my Glock model 30 in 45 ACP. The 36 is slimmer, but only carries 6+1 whereas mine is 10+1.

I've had mine since 2000.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast