Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your kid's first king... let's see 'em!

Default Your kid's first king... let's see 'em!

With the generally horrible king salmon season we've had so far, the fresh king pics seem far and few between. However, the fish below is a notable exception. It got me thinking about how one of a fishing dad's proudest moments is when his kid finally lands that very first king.

Kids and chrome just look so COOL! This pic of Gabby's inaugural king is a great lead to this thread. C'mon dads, share some pics.... let's see a nice parade of Kings-N-Kids!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Gabby says thanks

I was very glad I did not blow it. It was a relief to get the fish in the boat.

My oldest son caught his first when he was two at the Homer spit pond. That story also included the rod flying out into the water. It did take a minute or so for me to finally need to keep one hand on the rod after jumping into the pond and narrowly getting the rod back. Unfortunately a trip to the car wash at the end of that trip resulted in the roll of film being sucked into the car wash vacuum cleaner.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Kid's first king in 2003

I have four daughters, and their first kings that they hooked, fought and landed all by themsleves came in succession year by year starting in 2003. My then 11 yr old daughter Marci plucked this blush-bellied 22# buck out of the Kenai right at the top of Mud Island. It bit an Old Reliable K16 (Chrome Lemon Head), and it took her about 8 minutes to land. We parked the boat on the high bank to snap this pic:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Default Kid's first king in 2004

The next king caught by one of my kids was a small 12 pounder taken while trolling herring in my WA sled out of Willapa Bay. My oldest daughter Jodi (then 14) caught the very first salmon to baptise our new boat in fresh blood on its maiden voyage. Her cousin Justin got a cookie cutter twin buck the same day!
    The KeenEye MD

Default Kid's first "king" in 2005...

My youngest Emi technically caught her first "king" at the ripe old age of 2... from the banks of the Kenai at Riverbend. She caught it on 6# test on fresh sockeye eggs. Guess I should mention it was a king fry about 3 inches long!

Seriously, her first real king was caught at the age of 5, trolling herring in Willapa Bay. It was really more like a "prince" salmon.... just the right size for my youngest "princess". Boy does she like to give 'em a sound dose of the ol' wood shampoo!
    The KeenEye MD

Default Kid's first king in 2006...

My third and decidedly diminutive daughter travelled the toughest most frustrating path to her first king. She had actually hooked and fought several big kings to the boat in 2004 and 2005, but each time, the darned things would shake the barbless hook free just out of net range.... she just couldn't lift them close enough to the boat. Take note dads: long rods and long leaders don't make a good combination for short little kids trying to get a fish to the net! It took me a couple seasons to smarten up and finally shorten those trolling leaders... VOILA! Fish in the bag! This beautiful 24# hen was the first king for my then 10 yr old Jaimi!
    The KeenEye MD

My kids love to bonk the fish too with my wood bonker.

I give the fish the first wack then let the kids have a couple swings. I learned the very first time on a fresh fish that the kids dont reliably wack hard enough to get er done so to speak.

This is my son's first king. Caught at the Eklunta tailtrace last June.

Steve

Default Haley's first

My daughter Haley's first king. From Stewart's landing in '06. Low to mid 30s, backtrolling cheater and eggs, hooked so deep all I could see was the hook eye back in the gullet.

Default Marty's first

My son Marty's first king as well, from Falling in Hole. It was a rat, but hey, he sure dug it and since their time with me is short (they live in MN) we thumped it. That's older brother blake in the background.

Default Blake's first

Blake's first king came from the Kenai at Falling in Hole in '97. We had a great evening that night, releasing 2 and keeping 2 in about an hour and a half. The bite was ON! I cherish memories like these. Great idea, Doc.

Bethany & Isaac First Kings ever. As of this year they both have a couple to the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    My kids love to bonk the fish too with my wood bonker.
    I got this great video clip of my littlest one as we hoist a nice king over the gunnel. Before I even flop the fish out of the net, she's got "her" mallet in hand, and she blurts out......

"Daddy, hold it so I can get the brains."
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by Charholio View Post
    Blake's first king came from the Kenai at Falling in Hole in '97.
    1997? That pic seems awfully familar. Looks like that fish was hung on the "old" Riverbend rack.

Quote Originally Posted by fishook View Post
    Bethany & Isaac First Kings ever. As of this year they both have a couple to the boat.
    Looks like Bethany's fish came out of Mud Island, too.
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    I got this great video clip of my littlest one as we hoist a nice king over the gunnel. Before I even flop the fish out of the net, she's got "her" mallet in hand, and she blurts out......

"Daddy, hold it so I can get the brains."

Doc...............That's SPOOKY!!!!! Are you raising a serial killer?

The kids just want to be part of the process. They would try to fillet the catch too if you let 'em.

Default They don't call her L'il Miss Wood Shampoo for nuthin'

Serial fish-killer.... YES!

Check out LMWS in action!
    The KeenEye MD

That fish bonker is too cool.

Good to see the kids having such a great time.

Thumbs up

september 06... he was 5.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Kasilof charter on Monday, 9 June. Good day. My visiting parents, my son, and I landed 6 fish, 15-25 pounders...unfortunately, it was Monday...so we could only keep 2 of the 6...

And guess who caught both the hatchery fish! My 9 y.o. son Reese...first king...first TWO kings in one day!

P.S. -- Awesome day, thanks Capt Coop!
    Last edited by Brian M; 07-01-2008 at 10:16.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast