Thread: Iridium service plans?

Default Iridium service plans?

I am about to purchase a 9505a from a company down south and was told that the Alaska minutes plan 200min/$200 was having some problems with getting signal and that the world minutes have been working better for people. My first thought was that they were trying to get me spend more money but then she said I could get the world plan and pay by the month with zero prepaid minutes. Has anyone heard of this happening with the "Alaska minutes plan"?

Since Iridium stopped offering the worldwide 200 minutes/12 month pre-paid plan I switched to the Northern Lights plan from Surveyor's Exchange. The calling area is limited to Alaska and Canada. The service has been identical to what I was used to before. Once my current term expires I'll switch back to a pre-paid worldwide plan for more dough. For the time being I'm not planning to travel outside Alaska and Canada where I'd need my sat phone so my current plan works and saves a little money.

You need to look at the total cost of service for a year and try to guess how many minutes you'll use. I've always used less than I thought. A service plan that maintains service and charges airtime by the minute probably makes the most sense for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Fireman View Post
    I am about to purchase a 9505a from a company down south and was told that the Alaska minutes plan 200min/$200 was having some problems with getting signal and that the world minutes have been working better for people. My first thought was that they were trying to get me spend more money but then she said I could get the world plan and pay by the month with zero prepaid minutes. Has anyone heard of this happening with the "Alaska minutes plan"?
    Sounds like BS to me. I just purchased the $200/ 200 minutes a couple weeks ago. Signal problems is something THEY would have mentioned to me to get me to buy a more expensive plan if that was the case. Therefor I call BS on whoever down south told you this
    Also it costs $250 for your first 200 minutes as you will find out. $50 dollar hookup fee and IF you maintain CONTINUOUS SERVICE you won't have to pay this fee again.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Sounds like BS to me. I just purchased the $200/ 200 minutes a couple weeks ago. Signal problems is something THEY would have mentioned to me to get me to buy a more expensive plan if that was the case. Therefor I call BS on whoever down south told you this
    Also it costs $250 for your first 200 minutes as you will find out. $50 dollar hookup fee and IF you maintain CONTINUOUS SERVICE you won't have to pay this fee again.
    Thats interesting! I was told the activation fee was included in the Alaska plan..

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Fireman View Post
    Thats interesting! I was told the activation fee was included in the Alaska plan..
    It's not included over at Surveyors exchange, unless something has changed in 2 weeks. Worst part is I only need my phone for 6 months out of the year so each year I'll have to pay that $50 fee.