Thread: just got back from chitina

Default just got back from chitina

first night was slow because it was clear. dipped for 12 hours and netted 45 fish. then...the clouds blew in and the fishing picked up. caught the rest in a couple hours. so, a lot of work, more than i've ever had to work for them before, but i was spoiled the previous years i guess. we got our fish though. and the kings were running great! and we were in boats, people weren't doing to well on shore

Good to hear it is starting to pick up. Were there lots of people down there?

we got there wed pm and left today, so it was pretty calm. the weekend is going to be crazy though

Lotsa people this weekend. From some reports, I heard it was slow, but a few people were knocking out their limits in a day or two's work. We had permits for 195 and pulled out 157 in two days. Started Saturday morning after helping a fella who dry docked his Hewes Craft in a shallow spot and finished Sunday towing my dads boat back upstream after he sucked enough rocks to start serious collection and seized his lower end. All of us limited and we decided to call it good as we were working on proxies and the run seemed to be slowing down. Had to toss two kings back out of the six of us and we caught 10-12 tagged fish and two with transmitters.

Great weather, good sized crowds but people were friendly and helpful, and just a good all around trip.

Default Went Monday!

I went out with Kim's on Monday. We caught 24 reds and one king. Fished hard for them. Didn't see many people on the banks and fishing was reallly slow.

What boat does Kim's run? Was it the large red one? We saw him dredging in a few places over the weekend, but it didn't look like they were doing very good. Lots of people were saying fishing was real slow, and it slowed down on us pretty good Sunday night.

Default Slow weekend?

I got back from Chitna yesterday and had a good time fishing from the shore. We fished near the McCarthy bridge and limited out in about 5 hours. I had 29 reds and the wife told me that if I didn't catch a king I was walking home. THe last fish I netted was about a 45-50 pound king. One other guy was fishing down there with me and he had 3 proxy's. First night he got 30 and then joined me after noon on monday cause I was slaying the reds. When I left about 7 at night on monday he was upwards of 60. I was catching them so fast that I lost count. Had to pull all the fish out of the cooler and then people saw us from the bridge and started crowding the banks. They were all killing the fish too. I thought the fishing was pretty darn good.

Yeti,

Thanks for the info. Were you dipping from shore? Chitina side of the bridge?

Just returned home from the Copper. Walked into about 6.5 mile on the CRH. Started fishing about 9:00 pm and finished up at about noon today. Took 16 Reds and a king. I bet I released 10 kings as I couldn't keep em out of the net. Of course I kept the first King I caught which ended up being the smallest. Tough Fishing. Averaged about 2 fish an hour and then it dried up at about 8:00. Fished for 3 more hours with nothing and wife, kid, and I threw in the towel. I hate that walk with all that gear...I really need to buy a 4-wheeler. Banks were pretty empty, lots of four wheelers headed back to Haley creek. Sounds like we did better then most as a lot of folks came up empty. Of course it was the 4th of July so I am not sure how dedicated they were to fishing that specific evening.

Default TR

Sorry for the late reply. We fished from the chitna side of the river from the bank. Chest waders are a must. I netted two monster kings. THe first put a whole in my net about two feet across. Fixed that up with some zipties and then I was good to go. After folks started showing up they were all catching alot of kings. Good luck.