Thread: Gulkana Report

Default Gulkana Report

High and colored up. Fished all day Thursday with raft from Poplar to Bridge and hooked 1 with 5 guys fishing hard. Only fish I saw all day in any group. This morning, met a guide at the bridge who had just come down from Sailor's and had no luck. Check out water levels before you head down.

In other news, I am now an official member of the Blue Moose Fan Club. I've been scouring the internet for some seat posts for my raft like the two I already have, with no luck. Even NRS was no help and didn't even seem to know what I was talking about....I called Moose and he instantly knew exactly what I was describing, and offered to custom build the posts for me. Add to that some outstanding customer service in the area of raft rental and I will be promoting his business from here on out!

Default Same here

We fished for three days and only brought home one King, nice one though. We tried everywhere, but finally got it at the bridge.

I second the comment on Blue Moose! I tried to buy a raft last winter, but my budget just doesn't allow it. That didn't discourage Moose from filling me in on where to fish and how to access these rivers for excellent bank fishing.

Default Fish still in the high water

My buddy just called from the Richardson bridge. They caught 3 yesterday in about 3 hours of fishing. They're jetting up and backtrolling though. They didn't see many people coming off the river with fish on rafts. The Gulkana is dropping pretty quick though and should be good as long as rains hold off.

Whats the best set up for fishing the Gulkana, bait? divers? spoons?

akspawner,
    Are you fishing from shore or boat? If you're fishing from shore, tossing a three way swivel with pencil lead clipped into it with about a 3' leader with Oakie Drifter and double mooching rig with roe is a productive method.

Ill be in a boat, leaving in the morning

Default Backtrolling

Speaking of this anyone else having problems with guides stopping with a raft full of people who start crossing your line as your backtrolling through a hole?

Bearman,
    I was having some issues with certain guides slipping into a hole as I drifted downstream to land a fish from my jetboat. I know that they're getting near the end of their float and customer's don't have fish, but come on!!!! I feel bad for the clients because I can tell that they know their guide is being rude by sniping a hole I was fishing. I'm going to start getting information on the guides operating this way and start making phone calls to fish and game and to the guide outfits. If they simply asked, I wouldn't mind, but just slipping in like that drives me crazy. Sorry to rant, but I used to guide on this river and stealing someone's hole wasn't part of my strategy.

Default Guides

Yeah at first I thought maybe it was just out of state rafting guides that didn't know what they were doing. But lately it seems almost like they are doing it on purpose. How do you get their info off thier raft, and what can fish and game even do about it?

I'm not certain how to get info from them without actually asking the clients who their guide is. Some of the rafts have the guide sign hanging from the raft, but I don't remember seeing any numbers on them. I don't remember there being numbers on the guide sign that I used in the past, but there might have been one. If I can't get any information from the river where their fishing, I'll just camp out at the bridge until their ride shows up and get the information that way. Either way, it's ridiculous for these guys to be so rude. I guess I could simply jet back to the top of the hole with my boat and drift on back through it (and their lines), but I'm not going to stoop to that level. It actually worked out good that the guide sniped my hole, because I went up to the next hole and pulled 3 nice fish out on 3 passes. Another thing I'm starting to wonder about is if all of the guides I see taking people on shore (above the high water mark) down there have the permits with AHTNA to do so.

Default Thanks and interseting

KMAC & Snowcamoman thanks for the comments.

Concerning Guides sniping the holes I am on your page that is not an acceptable practice. BMR normally starts about 5:00AM in the morning and limits it trips to one per day per guide.

There are five constent guide services utilizing Sailors pit down.

River Wranglers
    King Fishers
    BMR
    Allen's Crew Cooper River
    Gulkana River RV Park

There are two more but heck if I can remember their names.

That being said there is no excuse for attempting to or sniping a hole when it is being fished. Tom, Marshal and Kevin normally pass on if anyone is near a spot we wish to fish or rules are one bend down i.e. the next hole. That being said feel free to quesiton the guide when he passes. If for some reason one of our guides is not following our rules of engagement please feel free to call me at any time 907-469-7758 I promise you it will be corrected.

Default Bear Activity on Lower Gulkana

There's a sow with at least 1 cub hanging around the popular hole that has the trail down from the radio tower. Cub was spotted last Saturday (21st) and momma was spotted yesterday morning (29th). We all know they can be everywhere and to be ready, but it's good to know when they are THERE.

Bluemoose,
    I appreciate you taking such a professional approach to this. I don't believe any of the guys who I've seen do this are from your company. I've chatted with several of your guides before and they have all been top-notch. I think that it's one of the companies in the list you posted, but won't say anymore until I can verify 100% who it is. I'll be down there for 5 days soon and I'll be watching things. Thanks again.

Wink current water conditions??

I'm thinking about rafting the Gulkana this coming weekend. Does anybody know how the water is right now? It's a long drive from anchorage to fish a blown out river.
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    I'm thinking about rafting the Gulkana this coming weekend. Does anybody know how the water is right now? It's a long drive from anchorage to fish a blown out river.
    Thanks,
    Looking at the streamflow data, I wouldn't bother this weekend.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ak/nwis/uv...cd=00065,00060

Summary of all available data for this site
    Discharge, cubic feet per second Most recent instantaneous
    value: 3,440 07-10-2008 05:15

I was told yesterday that the river was way up after some hard rain the past week but that is coming down and should be doable by tomorrow. Maybe Moose from Blue Moose Rafting can chime in here.

Default Still Brown and Down

Still way off color however with the rain letting up it might be doable by Sat.