Thread: Jim Creek Status?

Default Jim Creek Status?

Just wondering if anyone was out to Jim Creek Today? Is the water high and muddy or is it still fishable?

I would highly bet that Jim Creek and Knik are flooded beyond fishing capability.

Actually by brother-in-law fishes there almost daily. He said the water wasn't bad at all and the fishing was great. He also was upset at someone that showed up yesterday using a pink vibrax. I guess whoever this was landed 4 fish in 4 casts, lol. He won't be happy if he sees this post.

Default Jim Creek

Jim Creek is one of those wierd creeks (like bodenburg creek) in that it is primarily not a watershed creek but mostly spring fed from a group of lakes. It does not seem to rise and fall with the rainfall and runoff as much as others. It might be worth a try, but I've been in Florida for the last 2 weeks. It's miserable here. 90-100 degrees with humidity over 90%.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn
    Actually by brother-in-law fishes there almost daily. He said the water wasn't bad at all and the fishing was great. He also was upset at someone that showed up yesterday using a pink vibrax. I guess whoever this was landed 4 fish in 4 casts, lol. He won't be happy if he sees this post.

Darn straight. The fishing has been good there. I'm going tomorrow night.

I just left Jim Creek. I have been home all of 20 minutes. The water was very low and very murky. That creek has dropped big time in the last 4 days. I fished it without waders the water was so low. I only saw one fish caught and one other sign of a fish while I was there. I was using an egg sucking leech on the fly and throwing vibrax's. I have been fishing Jim for many years and I have never seen it that muddy. I'm sure it will clear up quickly as most of the mud is from the water dropping so quickly and washing out the glacial silt. I will be back there again on Saturday, just because I'm busy tomorrow night.

Default Interesting

I expecting Knik to oveverflow into the Jim Creek flats. I remember when part of Friday Creek used to flow the Jim Creek swamps making Jim Creek silty all the time. I hardly ever fish the flats anymore, too many morons. There are some HUGE dollies in Jim Creek too.

Default Went out there last night

Crossed Jim Creek for the first time. It seemed a little low but not unusually so. I've watched a lot of guys cross it. A quad was stuck in it and dead. His buddies were pulling him out.

It seemed to me that the Knik was low.

Only saw a couple people fishing.

Default I don't understand

Why they make cite people all the time for crossing anadromous streams but don't seem to care about Jim Creek. Any one know?

Question Thank You MartyV

I have often wondered the same thing. There are many creeks and streams with salmon in them that the trailed has crossed for a long time but then there is the one trail that tickets are issued. I don't understand!? EricL

Quote Originally Posted by martyv View Post
    Why they make cite people all the time for crossing anadromous streams but don't seem to care about Jim Creek. Any one know?

I have wondered the same thing. Maybe its because troopers have to cross the creek to check bear baiting stands. Maybe its because everyone has been doing it for so long everyone as becomed acustomed to it.

I believe it is overlooked because Jim Creeks flats are very unique. The salmon high tail their way through the flats and do not hold up until they reach where the creek turns into the woods. Also Jim Creek can change on a daily basis. The wind will kick up the sand and Jim Creek's channel can be completely different the next day. ATV's and trucks do not permanentally tear up the creek. The effects of ATV's and trucks are covered up and filled in within a weeks time.

Default Crossing anadromous streams

Quote Originally Posted by martyv View Post
    I doubt there are any fish that spawn where people cross, it's all sand and all the fish I have seen there have not even changed yet, maybe just on their way through.
    I was fishing at Jim Creek last year when a person from California was complaining about an air boat (loud, most people don't like them), that it went right through a spawning bed. (sand?) I pointed out the 25 people tromping through with their boots. He had not complained about that.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

As I understand it, the law is written to prevent driving in or through a stream where salmon migrate, not just spawn. That would include the Jim Creek flats area, but I don't have a clue why it isn't enforced there.

I read on one of the wheeling sites that there is a Waiver for Jim Creek area. I googled for it and did not find it. Mike Echo will probably chime in with the truth.

Heading up there tomorrow night.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I wish I had a beater truck to get there Been there with a friend before, its a fun drive out there. Didn't catch much though. After all of this rain I would have assumed it would be very high. I was on the Kenai over the weekend and it is very high, no dry gravel bars in sight. Last week it was pretty normal.

Default Jim Creek Tickets

About three years ago I saw 4 troopers on dirt bikes in full blues writing tickets to all of the folks that came back across the creek. It was the funniest thing that I ever saw, a fat trooper on blues on a CR125 that was WAY to small for him. This summer though, I went to Friday creek to sight in my rifle and on the way back the place was crawling with troopers due to a fellow crashing his wheeler and getting killed. When I came back across Jim Creek there was a trooper waiting on the other side. I stopped and asked the lady trooper if what I had done was illegal and she said NO. She said that she just thought that it would be funny to watch me swamp my truck but just like the last 20 years, I had no problems crossing. So, that would mean to me that it is open for crossing. Also there are two residents in the Friday and Metal creek area. So stick close to the stump in the middle of the crossing and then head for the other side and you won't sink. If you get stuck you are SOL. The current will slowly eat out under your truck causing it to fill with silt. Saw many of them that way and try to pull many of them out too.

Yes, you can ride through jim and friday creeks. its a state of ak page titles "authorized vehicle stream crossings" http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/habitat/gpvehstreamxings.htm
    so i really doubt cops were issuing tickets there.
    I think the jim creek area is a little slice of heaven. i took tourists
    to the glacier last year. they said it was definately the highlight
    of their trip. crossing rivers, see salmon and sheep, and finally
    standing on a real glacier.

Exclamation

I hit Jim Creek on a regular basis duirng the first three weeks of August and limited out with spoons and/or spinners on every trip. It was even good when the valley was flooded.

However, I finally got skunked about a week and half ago. The water was extremely low and off-color with very few silvers or reds in the area. I think a minus tide may have been a contributing factor to the poor fishing conditions.

I still think it's worth at least one more shot though. In fact, I suspect that the prospects have improved significantly by now.

I rode up to Jim Creek today looking for yotes. The water is really low and very managable on an atv. There were very few people fishing and the ones that were fished Knik. I saw one fish in Jim Creek on the flats, and there were no fish where Jim Creek turns into the woods. The run coming to and end, but I would suspect that fishing farther up Jim Creek would be excellent. Monster dollies are easy to catch this time of year.