Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couldn't believe I read this correctly....

Unhappy Couldn't believe I read this correctly....

11. We discourage older people, people with neck or back problems, people that are not used to the ocean, people that don't know if they really want to go or not, or people that are nor physically fit.

Straight off of a charter operator's website....

Business must be good?
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Im not sure if im reading this right; but if I am you're against their rules?

I would not want somone with a back or neck problem (fused possibly) on a boat in any rough seas... its asking for them to have a miserable and painful time. I also had been wanting to fish butts' since I was 5 or 6 and wasnt allowed til I was 13. Man I'm glad I had to wait.. If I was 5 or 6 I would have given up very easily and most likely made other people on the boat mad because of my additude back then.

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    11. We discourage older people, people with neck or back problems, people that are not used to the ocean, people that don't know if they really want to go or not, or people that are nor physically fit.

Straight off of a charter operator's website....

Business must be good?
    That's just their way of saying No infirm 90 year old incontinent altzhiemers patients allowed!!

On the flip side of the coin, if say on a 6 pick there is one customer that is physically unable to run his/her rod, doesn't want to be out there, and makes the trip misserable for the 5 other paying customers, what is to be said for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    On the flip side of the coin, if say on a 6 pick there is one customer that is physically unable to run his/her rod, doesn't want to be out there, and makes the trip misserable for the 5 other paying customers, what is to be said for that?

Been there done that.
    Mexican deep sea trip with obnoxious New Jerseyite. Good thing was we didn't have to listen to his loud mouth once he started puking!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    That I have a problem with, there is always one time in our lives that we are not used to the ocean. Seems this Capt, only want pros on his boat for fish counts, etc....

We take people in wheel chairs, for gods sake, we are the crew, and the crew is their to help you.

Unless this is a DIY type charter, I think I would have a problem booking with them after reading what they want in a passenger.

Default Yeah, but...

I know the charter you are talking about, and you may find an explanation on their "Halibut Fishing" page about 3/4 of the way down.
    These guys say they are all about trophy fish, and are catering to folks that are willing to go the distance and get beat up a little for big fish.
    Not defending the captain, he can do that himself, I'm just saying maybe you didn't read in enough.

Who's website site is it?

I would be very interested as to who it is. i am coming up next summer and would really like to know who it is being i am going to take a charter or two. Please PM me

My brother is physically disable from the waist down, and has metal rods holding his lower spine together and can only walk with assistance, canes, walker or crutches. As long as he can sit and fight a fish he would be the one I would want on a rod as he is stronger then most in his upper body, has way better endurance, and last he never gives up. I have had him on my boat, him and I alone have tied into to 100+ lb fish with out an issue. I just get stuck on the gaff side once they are at boat side but he has tried to gaff and is working it out.

We also have taken a few charters and have put some others that were with us in the hurtin' locker. They see him roll up in his wheelchair and eyes start to roll. Attiude starts to change when he's throwing back his 4th or 5th fish looking for something bigger.

He even goes out solo, with a boat, at home for Largemouth and pike.

Statements on a website like that can easily be misconstured. I wonder if they would turn him away?????????????????????

Default conveying the message

While I understand what they are tryin to say, they are doing it in a very poor way.
    Prior to leaving the captain should know the conditions they will be facing for the day. At that time he should explain if its going to be rough & possibly uncomfortable & hard fishing with 3lb weights. They can then make an individual decisions if its something they might not want to endure & opt to sit it out.

I had an old school college coach who would tell us "its not about how hard you work or about how good an individual is, its about what you've done to make those around you better"

Obviously this captain / charter company isn't from the same school of thought.
    Dupont sounds like your family is, I think I will go with you

There's a liability issue to contend with also... it's not just what sort of time the guests are going to have...

What if there were a fire, or other emergency? Could the wheelchair-bound person (with great upper body strength to fight fish) climb out the foreword hatch to escape a fire or flooded cabin? What about climbing into the life-raft without assistance? Isn't a boat captain charged with the safety and care of all of their passengers?

Personally, I don't allow wheelchairs on board my boat just because there are too many steps involved and no place to store the chair even if the guest were lifted into a seat. I do agree that the disclaimer on the charter's website was a bit harsh, but I can sure see the business owner's side of the debate too...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We Have Had 25 Disabled People On The Big Boat....they Went With Us Because Nobody Else Would..we Crewed Up And Did It And They Had A Blast At The '' Hole'....' Their Group Leader Calls Me Every Christmas And Tells Me How Much Fun They Had....i Dont Need No Stinking Tip That In Itself Is Why I Do This ......:d
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Default simply put

The guy this refers to fishes hard for big fish, a long, long, ways out. If you're not fit and seasoned, you don't belong out there and should fish on a different boat. He is just trying to let people know the game. He's been around a while, has a good reputation, and I'm sure he's booked every day.

Many don't realize it, but the fact is that sometimes you need to go the distance for adult fish... if that's what you want. This means sitting sideways in the swells, dealing with lots of current and hence lots of weight, and having a long rough ride back once in a while. It can be absolutely no fun for those who are less than hard core. I don't care to be 90+ miles out in the open with people who might not be able to handle it either. That situation can marginalize the trip for the rest of the group at best, and can be outright dangerous at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    There's a liability issue to contend with also... it's not just what sort of time the guests are going to have...

What if there were a fire, or other emergency? Could the wheelchair-bound person (with great upper body strength to fight fish) climb out the foreword hatch to escape a fire or flooded cabin? What about climbing into the life-raft without assistance? Isn't a boat captain charged with the safety and care of all of their passengers?

Personally, I don't allow wheelchairs on board my boat just because there are too many steps involved and no place to store the chair even if the guest were lifted into a seat. I do agree that the disclaimer on the charter's website was a bit harsh, but I can sure see the business owner's side of the debate too...

-Case
    Really need to look at it on a case by case basis's and not make a general assumption. My brother uses his wheelchair to get around quicker, but most times he's on his canes. Seeing him roll down the dock in the chair just scares people and most make a general assumption.

I am betting that he would be more then capable of removing himself thru a hatch. He just does things different because of his very limited use of his legs. As far as the life raft deal most able bodied clients will not be able to pull themselves into a life raft unaided after a dunking in cold water.

I understand the point of not having room for the chair or that it may interfere with other clients. (Obiviously a small boat) Advertising should encourage not discourage. Explain the trip before hand and if they feel they are capable of meeting the standard then they should not be turned away. See if they can book the whole boat with friends.

What we don't know, even with his explaination of the trip, how many folks don't cut the mustard once they leave the dock.

The attached picture was on a Charter out of Seward. We got invited along by some folks from California that we met and had a blast even with the rough weather. I wish I could find the disk with the rest of the pictures.

Case please realize that many folks with physical disabilities know the risks thay are taking when boarding a boat and are more then willing to accept those risks and have a chance, just like everyone else, to enjoy a halibut fishing trip. Anyone who has ever asked me to take them fishing, has gone. I don't fish charter but I will never turn anyone away. Not even parents with little ones. I just figure out how to accomadate them. I know this is harder as an operator but there is always a way.....I am sure if it was someone you knew they would be on the boat with you.

Default your boat your call

CCC,
    Your in charge so you obviously make the decisions how things work & if you don't have the room or facilities so be it. However to say liability reasons for an emg I don't agree with. If that were the case then pilots would be in the same postion. And I'm not talking about big jets where they have the room & 3 people helping. I know of a air taxi up here where the pilot of a 172 uses a wheelchair & that doesn't slow his charter business down.
    To some degree we all except the inherent risks that fishing & hunting here can bring.

So lets poke the bear a little here.

What is your guys stance on taking out the Wounded Warriors?

Personally I have been on a boat that will take wheel chairs and have been on there with a wheel chair and the upper body strength mentioned before is definately a good point.

I don't buy the liability part. I have been on atleast 25 different Charter boats at a minimum and if it was all about liability they would make you wear a life jacket and avoid alcohol.

Haven't seen one operator yet ask me to wear a life jacket or not crack a cold one.

Just the way I see it.

I agree with it, I would not want to be out that far fishing with people that can't handle being beatin up by the sea's or takes up an hour of fishing time to reel in an above average fish cause his back is hurting or for some other reason, maybe the captain has had bad experiences with this sort of thing. The point being is it's his business he can run it how he see's fit, I would rather read a disclamer on a web site before i book then show up there and him tell it to me there or read it on a form.

There is only one way to spell discrimination!

It's his boat, and his business. He should be able to make his rules as he see fit....whether any of us agree with it or not.
    I see it as he doesn't want the added liability and he also fishes hard for his clients.

BTW, Hats off to the ones who do accommodate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast