Thread: Russian Reds and Brownies

Default Russian Reds and Brownies

My son and I rode bikes into the falls yesterdy and fished a few hundred yards downstream of the marker. We hooked and lost a lot of fish due to the fast water at our spot and lack of a net (taking one next time). We walked back up to the 600 yard marker and cleaned our fish. We were just about to head out around 10:30 pm when someone shouted "bear, bear, bear!" I looked up and said something like "Whoa, that's close!" The sow and cub stayed for 10-15 minutes fishing and put on a show for the dozen or so people standing around. Quite an incredible way to end the evening but I don't care to ever be any closer.

Nice pics.................
    They are not close though.......now if they were on your side of the river.

Default close enough

was fishing the cottonwood hole last week, and a sow with two pretty good size cubs were
    hanging out there for a few days, got lots of great pics.
    there was an old timer just up stream and mama come down and took his stringer of fish.
    so he thought he could just go ahead and catch some more well she came back for those and he would not budge, she just kept coming towards the oldtimer so he just started picking up rocks and throwing them at mama and her cubs, i hurried and got my camera back out,thinking i was gonna get a real life mauling on film,,but no such luck, she just wandered into the river and picked up some leftovers..that was one crazy dude..
    then all of a sudden them bears decided they wanted to check out the cleaning tables,
    and they didn't hesitate for a second they just come a loping on to the gravel bar at cottonwood,about 20 people were scrambling to get out of the way and across the river,
    i ain't sure but i dont think one person ever touched the water trying to get out of there,
    man i love the russian its always a blast for me..

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Nice pics.................
    They are not close though.......now if they were on your side of the river.
    HAHAHAHAHA!
    I would be doin more than , I think I would have to change my chonies, a few times!

Quote Originally Posted by Anglette View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA!
    I would be doin more than , I think I would have to change my chonies, a few times!

If this is the same sow with cubs, she and her kids popped out of the high grass down river of the guard rail hole about 50 yards from me last September. She became agitated when she saw me on the same side of the river and I could only walk downstream about 70 yards to the end of the gravel bar. If she decided to come my way the only escape would have been to hop into the river and float my butt to the next bend. Luckily she decided to go up river. When we walked out we walked down river to the next acess and then up the road. Better to be safe than eaten!!
    It's all part of the Alaskan experience.

Was out just yesterday and saw at least 4 different bears 6-8 times.

One time, I nearly crapped my pants. If I werent yelling 'YO BEAR' every 3-4 seconds while walking, and swinging that bear bell, the is NO WAY that bear would have known I was coming. Even with me on my way, it waited till I was 20 feet from him.

I choked. I know they say dont run. I didnt run, but I hit the freaking water real quick.

Someone on the water made a joke on the water: Santa is coming!!

I said: HEy look! Santa is still alive!! And his face isnt eaten!
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Was out just yesterday and saw at least 4 different bears 6-8 times.

One time, I nearly crapped my pants. If I werent yelling 'YO BEAR' every 3-4 seconds while walking, and swinging that bear bell, the is NO WAY that bear would have known I was coming. Even with me on my way, it waited till I was 20 feet from him.

I choked. I know they say dont run. I didnt run, but I hit the freaking water real quick.

Someone on the water made a joke on the water: Santa is coming!!

I said: HEy look! Santa is still alive!! And his face isnt eaten!
    After having had multiple run-ins with Grizz on Afognak, and on the Russian....with all the carcasses in the river, the bears just don't care about people....under most circumstances. As long as you don't try to take their food away, all the bears I have seen on the Russian weren't even looking at the people, and could have cared less. I was within bears by 5 feet on multiple occasions, and they were definitely MORE interested in the fish than the people....I even crossed the river in the same spot a bear had gone 5 minutes earlier to munch on a fish....I was saying "hey bear" loud enough that the bear heard me and just moved off. We both went our own ways....
    ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings, watch your back trail, but by and large, the bears just don't care about you. The kid that was mauled 5 years ago on the Russian just had the unfortunate luck of finding himself between mama and her cubs....
    I sat and watched a bear climb out onto a sweeper Wed night and dig carcasses out of the branches....very cool to watch and entertaining. Same bear came to within 5 feet of where I was standing to get carcasses....but wasn't at all interested in a 'human' encounter, so ambled off.