Thread: 4 foot seas tonight too rough?

Default 4 foot seas tonight too rough?

I want to go halibut fishing out of Homer tonight. I see that 4 foot seas are in the forecast. I have never fished out of Homer with 4 foot seas and I'm wondering if that is just too rough to enjoy. My boat is 24' with an enclosed cabin. What do you guys think: should I bag it and try again some other time?

It's a personal choice. 4th rollers not to bad. 4 footers with slop awful. For me, I don't like to fish in it either way. Getting tossed around/having to brace your self against the boat isn't fun....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Personally I wouldnt go out in REAL four footers... but NOAA has a tendency to be a bit off... 2 foots is pretty much calm seas... "4 footers" canceled our trip last week then read reports of calm seas... so you never know; gotta see for yourself.

I was halibut fishing last weekend in 4' seas, we were anchored and using 32 oz lead at 250'. We had enough problems keeping the anchor on the bottom let alone keeping the bait on the bottom.

For us it was a waste of time and fuel.

Default We are going to make the run down...

Its a roll of the dice for us. If we cant get on the water tonight due to the weather, we will hold off until tomorrow. We will camp in the boat, in the parking lot. Forcasting 2 ft seas. We'll see. Andy
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Default 4', is that all!!!

I fish out of the CA central coast and commonly fish in 6-8' seas. 4' is no real challenge around here, we actually look forward to 4 swells and I'm in a 20' sport fisher.

TL

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Personally I wouldnt go out in REAL four footers... but NOAA has a tendency to be a bit off... 2 foots is pretty much calm seas... "4 footers" canceled our trip last week then read reports of calm seas... so you never know; gotta see for yourself.
    Rolled the dice on last weekend after reading NOAA predictions. In the past I have been burned by there reports on the weather. This past weekend I went against what I have done in the past and headed to Homer. Could not of asked for better seas
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Too many times....

Ive cancelled trips to only find out later the seas were flat calm....I know its going to be a gamble, but Im feeling lucky today.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

It depends more on the distance between the waves than the height. If it's tight 4' wind blown chop, than that will be misserable. 8' swells if well spaced are no big deal.

You need to know the wind and tide direction as well. If the tide is going out, and the wind coming in the bay, the waves will be stacked much tighter together. If the tide is coming in with the wind at it's back, it will tend to spread the waves out a bit. I imagine the guy that says 4 footers is no big deal has never been in a 20' tide change running against a 20 knot wind.

You can head over to the south side of the bay in the various coves and waterways and hide out fishing for rock fish. But if it's really blowing 15-20 knots with 4 footers, you won't want to be fishing out there. Then again, that nominal 30 minute run across the bay will take a bit longer and be a bit longer and not as pleasant in 4 footers.

Default Yeah, but it's a little different...

Quote Originally Posted by Tight Lines View Post
    I fish out of the CA central coast and commonly fish in 6-8' seas. 4' is no real challenge around here, we actually look forward to 4 swells and I'm in a 20' sport fisher.

TL

I'm from your neck of the woods, TL, and fish the Farralones to Big Sur quite often. I had the same thoughts before I got here. In the Inlet, however, the waves can stack up really steep and close and can throw you around. I was out yesterday near South Hole and it was tough fishing. We were running the motors to keep from dragging anchor, had water coming over the sides and stern on occasion, and had trouble keeping bait on the bottom due to the swell. I don't think the swells were over 6-7 feet, but it was still tough.
    Matt Drayton, Chef de Cuisine
    Captain Steve's Fishing Lodge
    www.captainstevesfishinglodge.com

Well high tide is at 9:53 p.m. so the we were going to fish on the incoming tide and then the slack. Wind is predicted to be 15 knots. I see the marine forecast says 4 foot seas subsiding to 1 foot. So we are going.

I'd go for it, NOAA's weather reports have been inconsistent at best. But be careful, it seems to me the weather moves faster than what they predict. 4 foot swells is nothing. Like Alaska Gray said, add the chop and it makes fishing a living hell.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default It's just the daybreeze

The forecast for today is SW 15 knots seas 4ft, which is a common forecast for your typical Kachemak Bay daybreeze. It will subside in the evening, but not much before 7pm. When I used to go out of the Homer in an 18ft Lund years ago, I would make it a habit to fish early or late. You don't want to be out there in the bay at 1-4pm. Some nice days you can be 25 miles out and the seas can be flat calm, but when you head back in, you find 3-4 foot waves at the spit.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by meat_purveyor View Post
    I'm from your neck of the woods, TL, and fish the Farralones to Big Sur quite often. I had the same thoughts before I got here. In the Inlet, however, the waves can stack up really steep and close and can throw you around. I was out yesterday near South Hole and it was tough fishing. We were running the motors to keep from dragging anchor, had water coming over the sides and stern on occasion, and had trouble keeping bait on the bottom due to the swell. I don't think the swells were over 6-7 feet, but it was still tough.
    I stand corrected!! Location, location, location!!
    Current and bottom formations can make all the difference. Have fished Monti Bay out of Yakutat many times and 4' can be rough and 6-8 unfishable, it is uasually flat.

TL

It's always a crap shoot. I used to say go down and if its' bad just make it a camping trip out of it but with the gas prices thats a pretty expensive camping trip. I have a 20 foot Alumaweld and I won't go out on four footers. I've been down there when they said four footers and they wern't. But like Alaska Gray said sloshing around and trying to keep your bait on the bottom is no fun.

Four footers?? Pfffffffffft...........That's considered calm out here in this blowhole. We fish in a skiff on those days.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    Four footers?? Pfffffffffft...........That's considered calm out here in this blowhole. We fish in a skiff on those days.
    I guess your a better man than me.

Default Weather, as forcasted....

Was right on. Just got back. We played in 4ft seas Friday and Saturday. Winds gusting to 20mph. With four of us on the boat, we managed to get our limit Sat, but was unable to on Friday. All in all, it was a fun trip, wish the fish were a little bigger. Biggest was about 30lb they averaged 15-20lbs. Thanks to Boneyard, Pike Palace and Swissy for all the help on spots, they produced for us!!! Andy
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
    I guess your a better man than me.
    No, just determined. If we waited on the weather, we'd be............well.......still waiting.
    Now what ?