Thread: Scopes

Thumbs up Scopes

Hello EVERYONE. Been awhile since I last posted. My computers crashed (thanks to my teenage boys), then it came into rescue season at work and to top it off, one of my best friends passed away and I had to help with his final arrangements and estate. Sad to think that our hunting adventures together have ended.

On a lighter note, I thought I'd get back into things with a new thread. I shoot a .300 Weatherby Magnum and will be taking that on my ALaskan hunt (and no, I don't care who thinks this is too small because I've killed big and small, close and very far away and never had an issue). What I do want an opinion on is a scope. I currently have a Leupold 3x9x40mm Vari-X II on it and have for years. It's served me well, but I just inheirited a Leupold 4.5x14x50mm Vari-XIII AO. Aside from the sentimental factor of using my buddies scope, which would you recommend between the two? I think the 50mm lens will probably carry more light in low light conditions, but 4.5x is as low as it goes. Give me your thoughts.
    "America sleeps safely in her bed because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do her harm."

G.Orwell

Sorry to here about your friend. I have a Leupold VX-L 3.5x10x50mm with 1 inch tubes. It is a great scope, good in low light and the B&C reticle has saved me from missing more than once. I would say that under 300 yards the scope that is on your rifle will be hard to beat. However for longer shots and lower light go with the heavier higher mag Leupold. Would be nice to have something along while you hunt to remind you of your friend and past adventures. Good Luck

Steve

Not knowing your hunting situations as far as closest possible shots go I will tell you that Leupold lists the ACTUAL MAGNIFICATION of that 4.5-14 at 4.9x on the low end. Just wanted to give you some info to help with your decision.

til later

Default Cnage it out

The scope you have on the weatherby will be just fine, but it would be nice to "bring" your buddy along on your adventure. Switch 'em out.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

BJ, you are correct on the 300. I have been up here 38 years and the 300 is my rifle of choice. I have the vari II 3-9 on it and would not consider changing it out.

I don't think there is anything wrong with either of the 2 scopes depending on what and where you are hunting. You may want to consider QD mounts and then you could use either scope.

Default 3-9x

I also shoot a .300 WBY. I have a 3-9x Burris on it, and it is plenty of magnification. I had mine set on 6x when I made a 398 yard shot on a caribou, and I never even considered dialing up the power. On the other hand, 4.5x is too much magnification on the low end, IMO. In close quarters you will only be able to see a blob of hair from the animal, rather than being able to see where his vitals are. You might also have a problem focusing at close range with the big scope. That could be a problem if you run into a bear at close range.

So I would recommend leaving the 3-9x on there. Take your buddy along with you in your heart, or perhaps some other piece of his gear if possible. May he, his family, and you be blessed.

For what it's worth, I use a Vari X3 4.5-14x40 on my 300Wby with no complaints. Light gathering up here really isn't a concern. The 4.5 is a bit too high, but it's not a handicap. I wouldn't use it on my bear rifle, so I guess the answer to your question all depends on what you're planning to hunt.

Schmidt and Bender Zenith - 3-12X50 or 56...Unbeatable in every aspect you can look at with scopes....However that includes the price

I have a M70 .300 Weatherby Classic Synthetic SS with a 3.5-10X 50mm Leupold. This is my only rifle with a 50mm scope and it is a usefull combination for low light conditions. At 10X I can see into that last minute of shooting light while hunting whitetails in Idaho. In Alaska however I really haven't had the need for an objective that large. Generally there is plenty of light for shooting. In my opinion I would consider a scope you can crank down to be more valuable than one you can crank way up.