Thread: Leupy RX-IV B-C rangefinder?

Default Leupy RX-IV B-C rangefinder?

Any fans of Leupold's RX-IV Boone/Crockett rangefinder ($530), especially Trophy Scale and TBR features? Here's the description from Leup's site:

• Revolutionary Trophy Scale™ technology will tell you if the rack on the game you’re viewing has the spread (in inches) you’re hunting for

• …RX rangefinders with True Ballistic Range (TBR®) provide accurate aiming information matched to the performance of your rifle or bow. By calculating the incline, line of sight range to the target, and a projectile’s ballistics, your RX provides rifle hunters using Leupold Ballistics Aiming System™ reticles as well as bow hunters the correct equivalent horizontal distance for precise shooting on an incline. In other words, aim using the True Ballistic Range, not the line of sight range. Rifle hunters can also get this data as an MOA adjustment or a holdover point. With practice, long distance/steep angle shooting will become second nature. Dial in your RX to one of seven TBR ballistics settings for the rifle and three for the bow for incredible accuracy. TBR is effective to 800 yards for most rifle cartridges.

Many guys seem to prefer simple RFs - some spendy (Leica $600-$700) and others not so much. I wonder if these features just don't work on the Leups or other features more important in the field (accuracy, versatility)?

Any fans of these Leupold features?

I have not played with the leupy too much but I have read alot of reviews that say it is a great bow RF but that it performs poorly in all but the best weather at any rifle distances and never reaches nearly the specified range in the field. In a perfect world I would have one of those fancy ones for archery and then a Leica CRF 900 for rifle hunting. I will get the CRF first and Doug at camera land has them certified used for 480 and new for 550. Another benefit of the CRF is that the internal display is in red which shows up in all light conditions I am not aware of any others that have that feature.

Default RFs

Leupold's Trophy Scale feature seems handy.
    Too bad if the rangefinder function is so finicky though.
    The red display advantage is interesting. I'll compare some RFs in suboptimal conditions soon.

Doug's CRF prices are better, CRF900 for $480 right now.

Thanks for the comments.

Default Leupold Rangefinders

A hunter I work with owns a Leupold rangefinder and finds it works fine. I asked him about cloudy or rainy weather or ranging over water, but he hadn't noticed any problems. He did not have the Trophy Scale feature.

Cabela's user reviews, for what they're worth, are favorable mostly (3.8 stars). Not as good as the Leica RF reviews (4.9 stars), but good. No comments about Trophy Scale.

Smile IV B and C

Despite my limited hunting budget, I have a new Leupold IV B and C courtesy of a very generous Christmas gift! Unfortunately I cant give a very detailed review yet. It has so many features I will never use. The Trophy Scale seems sweet and you can set it for any antler measurement, but I have not tested it in the field for accuracy and probably wont this year as I dont plan to do much moose hunting. The TBR feature is what I need and so far it looks good. Its ranged everything I have asked it to up to 600 yards or so calculating TBR(I havent tried anything further). Like any range finder, if somethings too small I range something big nearby. All the holdover calculating features are useless with my old cheap scope which is the next thing I need to upgrade to take advantage of the rangefinder. All in all a pretty amazing piece of equipment but wont help much unless you have the rifle scope combination to take advantage of the information. I would focus on those first.....
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Default Some think too many features...

Yes, Sollybug, some of the RX-IV B-C criticisms on Cabelas said the very same thing - too much bells/whistles. Appreciate your comments and I'd be interested to hear how yours works out otherwise though, come Fall.