Thread: What is the "PREFERRED" Caliber????

Default What is the "PREFERRED" Caliber????

I'm sure this gets posted alot and I'm sorry to do it again but I will be coming to Alaska this fall for my first time and I was wonder what caliber I should choose to bring to hunt Brown Bears, Moose & Caribou??? I would also like to know what I should carry in the pistol department???? I would appreciate all the info I can get. Thanks

Are you hunting with a guide or with a relative? If a guide I would leave the hog leg at home if you need backup that is the guides job. 338 would likely be the optimum choice for what you are choosing to do if you can shoot it well. If you don't like the recoil of the 338 and have a 300, 325wsm or something in that range that you are very comfortable with then bring it. I am assuming that you are going to be hunting the interior bears as there are not many places that offer that combo in the coastal Big Bear regions.

You won't hurt anybodies feeling if you are packing a .375H&H. In fact if you hunt with a guide you'll put a smile on his face.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Thanks BIGAL & Lujon

I will be hunting with some friends relatives who have a guide service.....They live in Anchorage but they have a cabin and some property about 2 hours northeast of there but I am not at all familiar with the area. I have hunted all my life and have dreamed of coming to Alaska hunting and I just want to be prepared when I get there. I was also wondering how the weather is there in August/September??? I live in Kentucky so it will be a drastic change for myself....I can't wait to experience the adventure!!!! I appreciate the information on the 375 H&H and also about the 338 But I have 300 ultramag that I feel very comfortable with and was wondering if it has the stopping power for a big brown or a moose!!! I hand load alot and I can get some get hot loads in the 300!!! Do many use people use a 300 and can it handle the job???
    Thanks for all the help!!!

Check the archives.
    Like you alluded, there is a TON of info on these subjects and it seems we keep rehashing them.

Best of luck with your hunt, kincaid.

Frank

We have, elk, moose and griz here and in IMHO the 300 RUM is more than enough for any of them. If I had a *good* 500 yd shot on a 500 lb griz with a 200 gr accubond out of a 300 RUM, I would take it. It would have the same velocity as a 180 gr accubond out of a 30.06 at 200 yds, with more momentum and energy and would certainly exit unless it hit a lot of bone.

As for moose and caribou, it would put holes through them from a lot farther out than 500 yds.

No worries with 300 RUM. It will do the job and if your comfortable with it, that's about 90% of the equation.

IMO, the 300 RUM is at least equal to the 338 WM.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    No worries with 300 RUM. It will do the job and if your comfortable with it, that's about 90% of the equation.

IMO, the 300 RUM is at least equal to the 338 WM.

I'll say I agree with what you are comfortable and confident with is a good choice but the 300 RUM only extends the range of the ought six, it doesn't make it a 338. Having spent some time in the game fields with the 300 Lapua (No RUM aound then) and the various 338's, I'll say there is no 30 caliber that equals the 338.

I will agree the strongly built 200 bullets is a great choice for the 300 RUM and others of that energy level but bullet width and weight matter.

As much as I like the 338, be it Winchester, Dakota, Weatherby or Ultra, I think Id' pass them all up for any one of the 375's when looking for a bear rifle.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

.30-06' w/180 grn premium ammo minimum., .300wm and .338wm are extremely popular. Be sure to use premium bullets such as Nosler partitions etc. if you intend on persuing brown bear.

Handgun, I presume you want a sidearm backup. .44mag minimum. Since you are nonresident and you mentioned brown bear, you are required to have a guide or least kin with you. That said, you will have backup with rifles from others with you.

Have a good and successful trip to alaska.

Default .375

For those 3 I'd go with a .375 with 270 grain Barnes X bullets. It'll handle moose and bears nicely and, contrary to what most people think, it won't blow huge holes through a caribou should you shoot one. This way you don't have to have a back up firearm, even though insurance is nice.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

archives, archives, archives - review and then post any remaining questions not addressed.

One thing's for sure......After you read through all of the replies of all the archives on this subject, you still will not have the answer you are looking for. One guy will tell you that a .30-06 is perfect, the next post will tell you that you need at least a .375 to get the job done. Can they both be right?!

I've read all these threads and still don't have the answer. Probably because it doesn't exist.

If you shoot left-handed like me, it's simple. Just buy what you can get, very few choices for us....Nobody seems to make a reasonably priced .375 in LH these days.

The truth is that no one caliber is preferred. There are many calibers that have killed all of the animals in Alaska and everybody chooses what they choose for personal reasons. I would say that the 30-06, 300WM, 338WM would be the most prominent calibers found in Alaskans hands come hunting season. Yeah there are guys out there that absolutely believe you need a 375 H&H or even a super duper RUM of some type. Its all personal preference, pick one of the 3 I listed and go forth and fill an ark!

375 H&H or 375Wby or 375Rum or 378Wby and the 300gr TSX
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

If you can't kill any Alaskan game species with a 30 caliber, especially a magnum, it isn't due to a lack of power. Properly constructed bullets, properly placed are 100% effective. I believe the biggest problem with the small bores is folks using lightly constructed bullets and pushing them too fast.

While I'm a huge fan of the medium bores, especially the 35's, I'll admit that they won't kill anything I couldn't take with a 7mm or 30 cal. It's just what one favors and is comfortable with.

Not an expert on the subject, but you mentioned bears, caribou and moose. I would think that your .300 should be fine, and so any of the three most popular "all around" cartridges in Alaska, the .30-06, .300WM, and .338WM.

A .375H&H would also be fine for bears and other game, keeping in mind that caribou country translates to a lot of hiking sometimes. Maybe you can bring a lightweight .270 for caribou, along the .375 for brown bears? Luging a heavy .375 after caribou could turn into a pain, but all depends on how close you can get to them via a boat, ATV, etc. I have heard that caribou often come close to the hunter