Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tip Your Guide x Posted

Question Tip Your Guide x Posted

I thought that it would be worth the time to post this particular thread for many different reasons.

I'd like to remind and encourage those that are lurking these boards and planning a guided trip to be sure that you tip those that guide you whether it be climbing, hiking, fishing, hunting, or simply visiting our wonderful state.

In lines on this particular topic specific to this forum, what do you believe would be appropriate to tip your guides? Do you expect that trophy mount? What if you don't get any big game at all? Would you still tip your guide and what does that constitute? Good personality? Good hygiene? Positive attitude? Producing a hunt of a lifetime? All the above?

I am always curious to know and up for the debate if this thread entails one.

~COtoAK
    Lurker.

Default touchy subject

this subject always gets interesting comments---i am lucky enough to get out on a guided hunt once a year---i have tipped from $0 to 25%---the 0% was on a 7 day elk hunt,day4,spike camp,that i ended up leaving the GUIDE sleeping off a hangover and hiking back to base camp myself---the OUTFITTER was also out at a spike camp--the only person in camp was the outfitters wife/cook who said "i told him not to hire that **__###$$****---the guide showed up in camp,still hung over 2 days later insisiting he had been searching for me(i left a note wrapped around his JIM BEAM)----guide got fired---PS did tip the cook----the 25% tip was on a hunt where no trophy was harvested but the guide busted his butt,and mine,every day,great attitude,hard-hard hunting--did everything in his power to make sure i had a great experience----those are the 2 extremes---every other hunt has been in the 10-15% range----just as an aside,i have been on hunts where guides did a great job with other hunters and got tips that i would have returned with a sarcastic comment or 3---as always a very personal and touchy subject

We are due to come over from Scotland in around 10 days time ....now I have been lucky enough to have been over twice before ....We tend to tip in good Scottish malt whiskey !Never had any complaints yet .
    We use the same guide as on the previous trips for kings and they are always more than pleased with good malt but this time we are using a couple of different outfits for our halibut fishing from Seward and Homer now the question........ would it help if the captain in charge was given his malt prior to starting fishing ...would this maybe just help him go that extra mile ...as they say or just leave it till you return that way you can then decide if he has put effort into our days fishing

Cheers

Default been hased out

I'm alittle surprised that you would bring this up again. It's been hammered many times lately and not worth the fight!

Default Never been on a guided trip

I've never been on a guided hunt or fishing trip, have been big game hunting in the Colorado Rockies a couple of times, and have been successful. I will be doing an unguide hunt in AK in 2 years, I personnally like the satisfication of do-it-yourself. That being said, I worked very hard every day in a service related industry for 20 years, as do many other people, and I didn't expect a tip for my service. With the price paid to do a guided trip, moose hunting for example is $10,000 plus, why should the customer be pressured to leave a tip. Shouldn't the Master Guide pay his help according to success they achieve for the customer? Not trying to stir the pot here, but guided trips are a little out of hand for the average Joe. I'm all for every man making his worth, and don't mind paying a waitress or waiter who makes minimum wage or less, a tip for good service. I'm not privy to what guides, packers, cooks, ect. make, maybe I would change my tune on this subject.

"We tend to tip in good Scottish malt whiskey ! Never had any complaints yet." The guides are just too nice to complain while you're still there.... or they are alcoholics with no access to town.

The thought is nice but we have booze, knives, gps units, back packs, rain gear etc and can't take our family out to dinner by being given another one. A bottle of scotch with the 10-15% wrapped around the neck is more appropriate.... trust me on that one.

One more point.... we all know the saying "That's hunting" but many times no tip doesn't show the same level of understanding. Consider this.... a guide works alot longer and harder for a client who kills late in the hunt, or not at all, than he does for a client who tags out early. Side note: Whether they know it or admit it or not.... a huge amount of the time the client is the main reason why a tag goes unpunched.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I'm alittle surprised that you would bring this up again. It's been hammered many times lately and not worth the fight!
    I'm not surprised Her husband is a guide and starting another "tip guides big" thread might result in $2 more in her pocket

I don't get tipped for doing a good job at work, or even an exceptional job... I get paid my normal rate. People expect hard work and a good job.... that is what the normal rate should get you.

I know I'll get flamed for it but I don't think tips are necessary. Charge what it takes to get the job done and do a good job.... it isn't that novel of an idea.

I just love those who "expect" a tip because they delivered the job they said they would and smiled once or twice doing it.... sheesh

KRS

Wow...this is a yearly subject....

I agree with Knute78...why should a client that paid HUGE money to go on the guided hunt be "required" to tip?

I don't work to "give" money to a guide that I already paid for the experience! But I guess that after all the ledger entries are made huge profit is always a good thing.

And before the above comment gets the thread to talking about how much it costs to take a client into the woods....I don't want to hear it. If it wasn't a money making operation WITHOUT a tip, then you wouldn't be doing it. If you can't pay your mortgage, feed your family, buy your gas, pay for heating and electric and make all your monthly bills without getting a tip....there is something wrong with either your business savvy or your spending habits. Or it could be that you didn't charge enough for the trip. I would rather see the trip cost more than a "requirement" or expectation to tip! That's ludicrous! Go to Japan...they are insulted if you tip!

Now don't get me wrong. Guiding is GREAT! I am not saying that I absolutely would not tip a top performing guide. But I sure wouldn't pay $10k for the trip, then tip the guy 25%. I think tipping in Scotch is a great idea!

People that do tip - No problem and glad you make enough to "give" your hard earned money to someone else for something you paid them to do for you. You also set the stage for that "requirement" and "expectation" of a tip from everyone else!

I would be willing to bet that nobody tips the people that re-roof their house, empty their septic system or unclog a stopped up pipe. Do you tip the cop for doing a great job when he pulls you over and gives you a speeding ticket? "Great job officer, here's 10 bucks!" How about the fireman that saves your house when it's on fire?

Stop the madness!

Default LONG Archive thread

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    I thought that it would be worth the time to post this particular thread for many different reasons.

I'd like to remind and encourage those that are lurking these boards and planning a guided trip to be sure that you tip those that guide you whether it be climbing, hiking, fishing, hunting, or simply visiting our wonderful state.

In lines on this particular topic specific to this forum, what do you believe would be appropriate to tip your guides? Do you expect that trophy mount? What if you don't get any big game at all? Would you still tip your guide and what does that constitute? Good personality? Good hygiene? Positive attitude? Producing a hunt of a lifetime? All the above?

I am always curious to know and up for the debate if this thread entails one.

~COtoAK
    hey CO - there's a pretty long thread that we hashed out this very subject aboput 10-12 months ago, you may want to resurrect that one as many of us (at least ME, anyway) aren't going to restate what we already stated there...

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I did a search and queried it before I posted it.

It's not worth the fight... it's not.

I wanted to bring up 3 things about this post.
    1. Tip your guide if he/she is worth it.
    2. What do you consider a pretty good guide? A guide that produces a trophy or a good hunt?
    3. What amount would you consider is a decent tip for a guide?

That's simply all.

My regards.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    I'm not surprised Her husband is a guide and starting another "tip guides big" thread might result in $2 more in her pocket
    Wow! I'll take it.
    Honestly, it's not $2 more bucks in MY pocket. Trust me. I have my own business... and I support my husband's guiding...
    ...and believe it or not, he works on the Slope winter months to support his hunting habits. (This includes all his guiding)

This was great. I'll remember it next time my husband gets a 2 buck tip. I'll take a picture of the 2 dollar bill and post it right here for ya, buddy.

~COtoAK

I queried it. I couldn't find it. Maybe if someone... a mod, could resurrect that thread, I'd be willing to go back and read it, but I think that when they converted the system, I think that some threads were lost... maybe that one one of them? Who knows?
    But... I'll tell you, I searched it in the above search\/ queue and I couldn't find it.

If the original thread was reposted, I'll leave this thread be. It's not intended for a debate, although... I would be willing to debate it, but regardless, there are new people to this forum and this subject is always something worth posting for the newbies, even if that means that I have to take a hard slam from the gents on the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    hey CO - there's a pretty long thread that we hashed out this very subject aboput 10-12 months ago, you may want to resurrect that one as many of us (at least ME, anyway) aren't going to restate what we already stated there...

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Wow! I'll take it.
    Honestly, it's not $2 more bucks in MY pocket. Trust me. I have my own business... and I support my husband's guiding...
    ...and believe it or not, he works on the Slope winter months to support his hunting habits. (This includes all his guiding)

This was great. I'll remember it next time my husband gets a 2 buck tip. I'll take a picture of the 2 dollar bill and post it right here for ya, buddy.

~COtoAK
    It doesn't matter how many smiley faces I put in a post, nobody can take a joke

Default Would the guides rather...

have us come hunting this year if we can pay for the hunt but not a 25% tip? Or would they prefer we wait another year or two until we can tip them properly? Or should us guys of modest means just forget about it all together?

Everything is going to get pinched in the next few years, airlines, hotels, air charter, guides. Everything goes up but my paycheck. I would think that finding a person still willing to pay for a great hunting experience would be a good find for an outfitter. Complaining about not tipping seems out of line. Put all the costs in at the beginning.

Talking

Tips depend on personality and hard work. If the guide does his best to get me on the game, that's all I can expect and will normally tip in the 10-20% range. If I contract a guide for a week (5 days) I will tip one days fee (20%). I have fished Steelhead in CA (Smith River) and never even saw or felt a fish and tipped 50% because the guide was working his butt off.

TL

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    It doesn't matter how many smiley faces I put in a post, nobody can take a joke
    Have you seen myself with KingFisher? I can take a joke, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tight Lines View Post
    Tips depend on personality and hard work. If the guide does his best to get me on the game, that's all I can expect and will normally tip in the 10-20% range. If I contract a guide for a week (5 days) I will tip one days fee (20%). I have fished Steelhead in CA (Smith River) and never even saw or felt a fish and tipped 50% because the guide was working his butt off.

TL
    Hm...
    The people that my husband has guided in the past we have always hosted in our home or we have taken them out to dinner. My husband has a wonderful 70 year old guy that he guided in from Colorado and when we go back to visit my family, we always do dinner with this couple. We still regularly communicate, exchange pictures and emails, and always talk back of their experience on their Sheep Hunt.

On the other hand, my husband was VERY ill during a moose hunt (later we found out that he had bronchitis (sp??), and the guy tipped him almost nothing (even though he produced a moose). We weren't depending on that money for our finances, but I sure can tell you that I wasn't happy that my husband was out there sick in the cold and still trying to guide. It's not as if he could have cancelled that hunt, you know? People plan their hunt a year in advanced, pay up front, expect the best of the best when it comes to their big game. I would probably do the same if it were me.

So... that's why I am asking the question.
    When is it necessary to even tip?

ps...
    The outfitter is the one who makes the majority of the money... not necessarily the guide.

pss...
    My husband hasn't hunted for himself in a couple of years. This year will be the first year that he has since 2001 and that's because we are doing a Sheep Hunt together and he's doing a group hunt with all his best friends in September. We are also doing a Caribou Hunt in October with another ODD member... so we aren't even thinking about big game guiding this year.
    ?!?!
    So... it was posted for the sake of posting it.

That's an easy question to answer COtoAK...
    When is it necessary to tip?

NEVER. Key word being necessary.

As stated previously...Why would you think it necessary when you have paid big to do the hunt? I'm sorry he was sick during a hunt and I understand that the hunt could not be cancelled, but that doesn't require a tip because he was sick. That would really benefit the guides that have allergies because they are sick all the time while in the field! A guide provides a service, that service being to find and shoot an animal be it trophy class or not. They are required to have certain training to even be a guide and that's all on them. The payback for all the training and expertise comes from the fee charged for the hunt (or should). Why not just charged $12,500 for a hunt instead of $10,000 and have an expectation (or requirement) of a tip? If you don't think your being paid enough and deserve a tip to compensate....wow.

Do you tip Bigfoot or Homestead pumping and Thawing for doing an OUTSTANDING job or because they are sick? This applies because they too are providing a service, just like a guide is. A State Trooper could be the most courteous trooper in the world and people sure don't tip them! Of course they deal with a LOT more rude discourteous people than your husband probably does and their lives are in danger every day they work....

IF I guided, and I probably could, I would NOT require, expect or be pissed if I didn't get a tip from a client. I would also ban my wife from posting on a popular internet site trying to get me more tips.

This moral obligation of tipping guides is always something that has really bothered me. It not just hunting guides either, its fishing charters, and air charters too. I personally dont understand having to give someone soo much money that you have already paid for the services provided. I'll never pay for a guided hunt, but if I did chit the $8,000-$18,000 for whatever species, I'd be pretty PO'd to think I have to chit even more money for the guide thats already getting payed between $150-$200 a day. It's an industry fabricated concept to me. Oh and I am not cheap by any stretch, I just dont like pissing money away!

Were're doing this again!!!

"I wanted to bring up 3 things about this post.
    1. Tip your guide if he/she is worth it.
    2. What do you consider a pretty good guide? A guide that produces a trophy or a good hunt?
    3. What amount would you consider is a decent tip for a guide?"

THE ANSWER IS DEPENDS ON THE PARTICULAR HUNTER, THE COST OF THE HUNT AND THE TYPE OF HUNT. On those hunts that I have tipped, the tip is for service ABOVE AND BEYOND what would be considered usual and customery....and what is that? IT DEPENDS!!
    There are as many possible answers as there people that might respond.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast