Thread: Plentiful birds

Default Plentiful birds

Seems the grouse are plentiful this year as I've seen quite a few family groups out and about, I've also been seeing quite a few rabbits off the Elliott hwy. I haven't taken the gun out for a walk yet, thought I would wait till the beginning of September when it cools down some more and the young birds can fly a little better. Anyone been out yet?

Default Delta grouse

Grouse of all kinds are quite scarce here in Delta this year but especially the sharptail....Spring weather must have been detrimental.....

Unhappy Still Searching

I've been out on three occasions with the dog. Mainly in areas that I had found them in last year. So far I've only flushed one. Actually the dog kicked it 3 times for me......I still missed. You should of heard that pooch wine. (lol)

Thumbs down Not so Good

The boys and I have logged about 20 miles of walking trails that last year produced tons of birds with little success. To date we have 2 birds, we have seen about 20. Even at the ages of 7 and 9 my boys are wondering should we hunt anymore this year so we still have birds for next year. I agree with the above post about spring weather. Most of the places that we hunt are in the hills and last year when we went for a 2 mile walk we would see about 30 to 40 birds. To get the birds we did we first took the quad about 20 mile's out before we saw two groups of about 7 birds.
    Even without the birds we have had fun though. We even saw a raven that has learned to nock bee's nest out of tree's and bust the nest and eat all of the bee's and larva.

Good hunting.

I have flushed a flock at diferent locations all over the valley while moose hunting,mostly ruffed.Go getcha one of those green tag thingy's and a high power rifle and then you'll start seing birds,LOL!Try trails around Sutton.

Default White Breasted spruce Hen

So I went out duck hunting yesterday evening and on the way out to my blind I nailed two spruce hen..nothing new. But I get back and start cutting them open and one of my spruce hens (been in alaska all my life so I can tell hte difference between a ruffed and a spruce hen..this was for sure a spruce hen) and the breast meat was white!!. This was a first for me. Has this happened to anyone else? How common is this?

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Quote Originally Posted by AK Trout
    But I get back and start cutting them open and one of my spruce hens (been in alaska all my life so I can tell hte difference between a ruffed and a spruce hen..this was for sure a spruce hen) and the breast meat was white!!.
    This just happened to me on Friday. I was pretty sure all of the grouse I got were spruce hens. They were all taken out of the same area and all had similar coloring but one of them had white breast meat. I am not the greatest at identifying birds so I just figured it was a Ruffed Grouse, even though this seemed odd to me at the time. There is a pretty good distinction between Ruffies and Sprucies in their coloring. After reading your post I wonder if it is possible for Spruce Grouse and Ruffed Grouse to breed/mate.

Jake- I was thinking the same thing maybe some ruffed/spruce hen interbreeding or I was thinking also that it might have something to do with genetics.

The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Thumbs up Bird Meat

Well we have found a few but nothing like last year. We are up to 10 birds now. We have let a lot go just because it was a single bird. Today we saw a total of about 20 birds. Most we just let go, we were after moose first then the birds. Thankfully we never saw anything with horns and I was very content to pack out the birds.
    We to have found several spruce with white meat. I by no means really know what I'm talking about but here's my deduction. When we get a bird with white meat the bird is almost always a young bird. For the obvious older birds we have never found white meat. Check this the next time you see it and what the results are.

I guess that make sense. When I was up on the Haul Rd. We got into some ptarmigan and the young ones (you could tell cause there was a good size difference) and they had white meat Good observation!

Personally I've been doing real good on grouse this year.I'm up to 31 birds,wife has one and her sonn is up to five,so 36 birds aint bad at all I suppose If everyone is having a hard time finding them.
    Even one of the guys at work took the 1st 6 days of the season off to hunt birds and hasnt seen one.And the funny thing is we had a young ruff grouse here on Wainwright come in the front yard.ANyhow for those around here,Ive been finding all my grouse at the same elevation as Birch Hill,and the only Spruce Grouse I found where at a lower elevation,and just in the past day Ive found a two grouse at the Spruce grouse's lower elevation.
    I should get some pictures up for you guys as my pup is doing great at retrieving birds and she brought back her first two ducks yesterday.ANyhow good luck to you all out there.Gonna go bird hunting later....

Default Delta Grouse

Just got back from Delta area doing moose hunting and grouse hunting. Between the four of us we got 34 birds but no moose. The birds seem plentiful enough, we saw over 50 birds at least. Had a great time, even called in a young bull, but we let him go.

knocked a few more birds down after work since I posted the other day and saw about 15 birds that I couldnt get to from being to skittish,by the time I stopped the truck birds where flushing.Daniel

Default Grouse Meat

Last weekend shot two Ruffed Grouse, both had RED MEAT. There must be some cross breeding going on... They were both young birds, but I have never seen this before, and I have shot many younger birds before, who knows. The bird sure had no Spruce Hen physical looks to it, but maybe the meat turns white as they age??? Anymore thoughts?

Default Two at Jim's Creek today

I shot two grouse at Jim Creek today. I have not shot a grouse since I was eight years old, so I don't even know the difference between ruffed and spruce grouse, I'll have to look at a picture to see what these were. Pretty cool though my chocolate lab brought them back to me, first time for her too.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.