Thread: Petersburg to Thomas Bay

Default Petersburg to Thomas Bay

I booked a few nights at Cascade Creek cabin at Thomas Bay ...across from Petersburg

Can I hire somebody to drop me off and pick me up or is renting a skiff the best option? Does anyone have any experience with pricing etc?

I would charter a float plane, Frederick Sound can get whipped up into a tumultuous state in short order.

Great choice on the cabin location, bring a rod for the rainbow's in Falls lake and Swan Lake.

Default Depends

It all depends on what you plan on doing at Cascade Creek cabin. There isn't a ton of beach at the cabin you can hike the trail up to a couple of lakes but if you want to explore a little more I would think about getting a boat. I'll be honest with you I do have a slightly biased opinion because my parents operate a boat rental business in Petersburg. To be fair there are a couple places that rent boats in Petersburg. Scandia House or my parent's place Doyle's Boat Rentals. If you want to make a good trip I would look at picking up a boat. Thomas Bay is a lot of fun if you can explore it some.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    It all depends on what you plan on doing at Cascade Creek cabin. There isn't a ton of beach at the cabin you can hike the trail up to a couple of lakes but if you want to explore a little more I would think about getting a boat. I'll be honest with you I do have a slightly biased opinion because my parents operate a boat rental business in Petersburg. To be fair there are a couple places that rent boats in Petersburg. Scandia House or my parent's place Doyle's Boat Rentals. If you want to make a good trip I would look at picking up a boat. Thomas Bay is a lot of fun if you can explore it some.
    thanks...

i think your family are old friends of my girlfriends parents

is it possible to use a 18' skiff to get to thomas bay?

how long of a boat ride am I looking at to get to that cabin?

Quote Originally Posted by piemel View Post
    I booked a few nights at Cascade Creek cabin at Thomas Bay ...across from Petersburg

Can I hire somebody to drop me off and pick me up or is renting a skiff the best option? Does anyone have any experience with pricing etc?
    What dates?

I know a few good charter operators (some based in P-burg and a few based in Juneau) that frequent the area and run drop-off service... usually for hunters in the fall/spring, but I don't see why one wouldn't be interested in a summer drop job too... (maybe the right boat could get you there WITH your rented boat - best of both worlds?)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    What dates?

I know a few good charter operators (some based in P-burg and a few based in Juneau) that frequent the area and run drop-off service... usually for hunters in the fall/spring, but I don't see why one wouldn't be interested in a summer drop job too... (maybe the right boat could get you there WITH your rented boat - best of both worlds?)

-Case
    July 12 - July 14

I won't be in the area, or else I'd be happy to help out...
    You might try seeing what Summer King Adventures will charge (www.summerking.net) - Peter's got a great boat for drop-off work, and I know most of July he's planning to be closer to Petersburg than Juneau.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I took a trip out to Cascade Creek the last week of July 2006 in a '20er. The cabin is in a great location, but without a boat you'll really be missing out on a bunch of opportunities in the area; i.e. crabbing (good all along the beach in front of the cabin), shrimping (good further out in the bay), halibut, exploring scenery cove, etc. It really is a great place to have the freedom of a boat, you'll gain a much better appreciation of the entire area. The cabin is nice and snug and has a a great view across the bay.

Whether you have a boat or not, I'd highly recommend hiking up to Swan Lake. The trail starts at the Cascade Creek cabin and, while the hike up to Swan Lake is streneous (especially considering it is only 4 or 5 miles), it is well worth it. I headed up there for two nights and stayed in the Swan lake cabin, fishing for trout and enjoying the mountains. Pretty cool to be able to be fishing for Halibut on beautiful Thomas Bay in the morning and going for rainbows surrounded by glacier rimmed mountains on Swan Lake in the evening.

The weather wasn't too bad when I went, but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable crossing Frederick sound in an open 18' skiff like most of the places in Petersburg rent. It would probably work out in an 18'er more times than not in good July weather, but if conditions fall apart it coud get ugly. Ask around and see if anyone will rent you anything bigger and with cover.

Good luck!