Thread: brown bear habits?

Smile brown bear habits?

I saw a browny the other day that I want to get bad. It would be my first one. Its very blond and very large. He looks like a bunch of big brown marshwellows smashed together. His belly barely clears the ground. Somebody I know took this photo of the bear last fall on the same stretch of beach. Its a large shallow cove with a small salmon stream in it. Do think he will hang in the same place till late sept. when season opens? Im thinkin that he owns the place and has no reason to leave the area till the fish are gone. Just a side note I saw a browny all summer about 10 miles away in 2007 like every weekend living at the mouth of a small humpy stream and he didnt leave until the last of the last of the fish were gone. Heres a couple pics of the bear any ideas on the length weight and skull size? thanks. Looks to me to be a good shooter though!
    Attached Images Attached Images

it's a sow. A fat sow though.

ya don't look like a boar to me either...fatty for sure.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default sow?

How can you tell from the pics?

Facial features all say Sow ....I'd say let her bread!....If any boars have the tools, that is.

Certainly shows the characteristics generally associated with sows.
    Pointed muzzle; neck less than half the length of the head; ears high on head; very little angle between muzzle and forehead; facial features very smooth. These characteristics are even more indicative of it being a sow since the body conformation suggests it is a mature animal. As mature as this animal looks track size and shape should also indicate whether a boar or sow.
    That being said it does not eliminate the possibility of it being a boar, the probability is just so low that if one wanted to harvest a boar probably should "pass" on this one.
    Joe (Ak)

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    How can you tell from the pics?

These same pics were forwarded to me via e-mail a week ago, aledgedly taken by a couple near Juneau!???

Thumbs up bears

Thanks for the info I really dont know a lot about what makes a bear a shooter or diff of sow or boar justs thought this one looked a little unique. Ive been backup on a couple black bear hunts but never really tried to go after one my self yet.