Thread: What size flies for Reds

Default What size flies for Reds

I am going to be up in July next year and want to start buying some flies now and am wondering what hook size is best used on the Russian and Kenai rivers. Also what colors? Thanks guys!

Default check the regs

I believe it clearly states in the regs what size you can use up to. The thing is you dont catch reds as much as you snag them so color doesnt matter that much.

Hope that helps

Default Color does not matter

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I am going to be up in July next year and want to start buying some flies now and am wondering what hook size is best used on the Russian and Kenai rivers. Also what colors? Thanks guys!
    Color does not matter at all what so ever. I fish a pink and white all the time so i can see it in the clear water and steer it properly. As far as size the russian river is different than the kenai. The russian river has specific specs and i think they are in the regs. I know from the shank to the hook cannot be more than 3/8 of an inch. You can get russian river hooks made for the russian river from Gamagatsu (sp) Alot of people use bigger hooks on the kenai out of the russian fly area only. All i ever use is the standard Coho fly and it has treated me great for 26 years of fishing.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

The flies i am looking at on ebay come in 2 4 or size six. which would you go with?

go with the size 2
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    The flies i am looking at on ebay come in 2 4 or size six. which would you go with?
    Since you are interested in using ebay, I can recommend a seller from alaska that ties all the river specific flies. I have purchased coho flies for the russian, 2/0 cohos for the kenai, flesh flies, beads, and other material from him for the past couple of years, and everything is top quality, and very fairly priced. His ebay name is "upinak". Currently I see he has nothing for sale on ebay, since most likely he is fishing. He does most of his tying and selling in the winter when the days are "pretty" long up there. But if you would like his contact info, just pm me, and I can give you his email and web sight. He is from alaska, he ties great flies, and at least by purchasing from him we are supporting the local economy, and not sending the money back to china through wally world.

Russ F.

Be careful with the size 2 hooks if you plan on fishing any of the flyfish only areas. Some of the size 2 hooks have a little larger gap than 3/8". Gamakatsu is your best choice.

Here is a link for you to show that hook.

http://www.gamakatsu.com/catalog/fly_trad.htm