Thread: taurus Millennium?

Default taurus Millennium?

hi everyone ive been trolling the boards here for a while but havenít posted much. i'm looking for a new pistol that is more concealable than my 5 in XD .45. i was at sportsmans in fai the other day and i really liked the taurus Millennium it fits my hand very well and seems like it would fit in a pocket or small of the back holster really well and on top of that its relatively cheap. i'm thinking i'll get the .40. does anyone have one of these? or what are you carrying? i really love my XD but its just to big to carry concealed.
    thanks for the help,
    Brian

Default I have a Millenium in 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by gr8whitehntr View Post
    hi everyone ive been trolling the boards here for a while but havenít posted much. i'm looking for a new pistol that is more concealable than my 5 in XD .45. i was at sportsmans in fai the other day and i really liked the taurus Millennium it fits my hand very well and seems like it would fit in a pocket or small of the back holster really well and on top of that its relatively cheap. i'm thinking i'll get the .40. does anyone have one of these? or what are you carrying? i really love my XD but its just to big to carry concealed.
    thanks for the help,
    Brian
    Brian, gr8whitehntr,

I have a wonderful little Millenium PT145 PRO.

It points naturally (for me), and feeds everything I have tried in it. The feed ramp is kind of steep, but plenty wide and tall.

A few things I like about it:

The safety is frame-mounted and does not drop the hammer (you can carry cocked-and-locked and the safety is easy to reach)

The striker (not a hammer) is able to be cycled by the trigger alone. If you have a misfire, simply pulling the trigger gives you another hit on the primer. Most other (hammerless DA/SA) guns require the slide be pulled back slightly to get another strike on the primer.

Something not mentioned in the owner's manual or any review I have read is the fact that you can lower the striker on this pistol by pulling the slide about 1/3 of the way back and pulling the trigger, then letting the slide go forward slowly. The round in the chamber does not go off (thought the process might be alarming to on-lookers and the gun-handler alike...I don't make a habit of it, pulling the trigger on a loaded chamber)

The safety can be put in the "on" position with the striker forward or back. And functions in either condition.

The gun is not particularly small (pocket-worthy?), but in an inside-the-waistband holster should ride comfortably, even if set down deep.

I am not fond of the manner in which the gun takes down, though. The Taurus 92/99, or 1911 pattern pistols are much easier. The Millenium requires strong fingernails or a prying tool. I prefer a semi-auto I can take apart in the dark with just bare fingers, if possible. No real reason, just a preference.

I hope my thoughts have helped.

Lost Sheep (Larry)

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Yentlemen:

I've no bone to pick with Taurus, and I'm not knowledeable about Auto Pistols, but because of your posts, I did a search and found this. I wonder if it's still an issue.

http://www.defensereview.com/modules...rticle&sid=197

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I used to have a Millennium two tone in .40 S&W. It fed absolutely everything I would load in it, but it was the worst gun I've ever owned for accuracy. It was originally for my wife and although she's generally at least a decent shot she couldn't hit anything with it. I mean nothing on paper at 15 yards. I shot it and did a little better, but it was still bad. I could put it down and pick up a 1.75" S&W snubby and be twice as accurate.

I decided to set it in a vise and shoot it off a bench to see if we were the problem. I couldn't get better than 8" groups at 15 yards out off of a rest! The first shot could be two inches low, followed by another shot four inches high, followed by another four inches low and three right. It was ridiculous... That thing got put in my buddy's store the day after the bench test.

I still don't know what the problem was; I guess I never cared enough to tear it down and start taking specs. I bought my parents a Tracker .357 mag and it's been great. I know quite a few people who have had PT1911's and other Tauri and been quite happy. I also know others who have had horrible experiences with Taurus products.... mainly their autos and their Tracker 44 mags. It's almost as if their QC is the problem and the good guns are good and the bad ones are really bad and you know it from the start. I would personally spend the extra money and get a Glock.... they're extremely consistent and they're not much more. You know exactly what you're getting when you take one home. Just my $.02........
    Hunting, camping & shooting goodies. http://www.laksupply.com

Default back to Taurus

Don't mean to be TOO critical, but instead of putting up for sale a gun you knew was very inaccurate, why not send it back to Taurus for a possible fix. Maybe it was a faulty barrel or ?

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Don't mean to be TOO critical, but instead of putting up for sale a gun you knew was very inaccurate, why not send it back to Taurus for a possible fix. Maybe it was a faulty barrel or ?

Didn't like it that much, and didn't care to ship it back to Taurus to wait for 6-12 weeks. Their warranty is good, but their turnaround is usually bad and the guns are often still not up to snuff. The gentleman who purchased it was aware of the lack of accuracy and he got a great price.

Default long wait

Didn't know they took so long to do an R&R and maybe it wouldn't help. Sounds like you did the right thing, for what it's worth. I wonder if their all steel PT1911 is a better gun.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Didn't know they took so long to do an R&R and maybe it wouldn't help. Sounds like you did the right thing, for what it's worth. I wonder if their all steel PT1911 is a better gun.
    Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. It seems like 6 weeks was generally the low end with 3+ months being some of the longer stuff we dealt with.

Their 1911 seems to be a good gun. Taurus is not known for tight consistent specs, but they seem to have done a decent job with the 1911. It has a lot of features that you won't find on other guns in the same price range.... they appear to be worth the money. I've considered one myself, but I don't trust Taurus that much so the Springfield Milspec would be my choice. It would probably cost me more in the end to outfit it with the parts I'd use, but I'd do it for the gun with the better rep.

I don't have a problem with Taurus in general... it's just that their QC seems to be so spotty that it's a crap shoot on whether you get a good one or a bad one. From what I've seen the good ones do outweigh the bad ones, but I don't personally care to guess when I can get Glock, SIG, HK, S&W, Ruger, Springfield, etc and be 99.5% sure I got a good one with consistent specs. Just my personal persuasion.....

Default I wouldn't

A friend had one. It had problems feeding. I gave it a good cleaning and it was a lot better. I thought she was a REAL bad shot until I shot it. I ran a 100 rounds of differant ammo through it and it was the worst shooting of any handgun I have ever shot. She bought it used from a cop. He said he only put one box of ammo through it. I see why. Maybe it was just a bad one. I have nothing against Taurus. I love there revolvers!