Thread: yami 25hp ?

Default yami 25hp ?

Looking at a skiff that has a 25hp 4stroke yamaha 2003. anybody heard any thing about them. I know they are heavy for the hp they put out. has only been run in lakes. some body told me they heard that yr & hp was a lemon? Thanks......D

Default We've got one....

and love the thing. Not sure what year it is, but it's a 25 w/electric start, no T&T. It's on a 16' Alumaweld Xpress. Got the rig last year; absolutely a joy over our old 2-strokes. It's not light and I wish it did have T&T especially for the Kenai, but it pushes that boat with 3 guys all over 200 lbs. cooler, gear, 10 gals gas, etc. pretty well (you always want MORE POWER). Starts with a hit of the button, no matter how long it's been sitting.
    Don't hesitate on that motor.
    Jim

BigJim- what size/pitch prop do you have on that? A coworker recently bought a used 4 stroke 25 Yamaha to put on his 16' Lund. It was previously used on a heavier boat with some decent loads, so it came with a relatively low pitch prop...9" I think. He bought a spare prop with 12" pitch. Curious if he's in the ballpark since he hasn't run it on the water yet to see how it goes.

I'm not sure what prop is on it currently; I'm not up there but my brother just got in today and I asked him to call me with the prop diam/pitch. I'm looking to maybe get a better hole shot when the boat's loaded (typically all the time). I wonder if anyone knows what the standard prop is? I could look it up on the Yamaha website.
    We do have a spare prop so when I get there next month I'll do some experimenting; also interesting to note, those small motors have no gauges (no tach); on a different thread someone pointed out that Cabela's had something called a Tiny Tach that can be hooked up to virtually any engine. I'm thinking of getting one so I know what RPM's we're turning.
    I want to be in the recommended range for that motor, trying to take advantage of all 25 ponies. The tach also doubles as a hour meter.
    Jim