Thread: Chugach Park Map

Default Chugach Park Map

I am trying to plan my sheep hunt and have a couple people that are kicking around going in with me. after reviewing the regs it looks like there are some things that can be hunted outside the park but not in it. My hunt area straddles the boarder. Can anyone point me toward a good online map that shows the EXACT borders of the dang park They are all so darn grainy! It is almost like they want it to be unclear

Default map

I don't know of a good one you can view online, but you can buy a great park map made by Imus Geographics through this site for 7 bucks. It is very well done and would leave no question as to the actual park boundaries.

-Carnivore
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am trying to plan my sheep hunt and have a couple people that are kicking around going in with me. after reviewing the regs it looks like there are some things that can be hunted outside the park but not in it. My hunt area straddles the boarder. Can anyone point me toward a good online map that shows the EXACT borders of the dang park They are all so darn grainy! It is almost like they want it to be unclear
    I use the map of Chugach state park they sell at REI. The best part is ADF&G uses the same map at the Rasberry rd. office. They have the boundaries of the different permit areas colored with a highlighter. They let me trace their map. I don't know any good online maps of the park.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default same map

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    I use the map of Chugach state park they sell at REI. The best part is ADF&G uses the same map at the Rasberry rd. office. They have the boundaries of the different permit areas colored with a highlighter. They let me trace their map. I don't know any good online maps of the park.
    This is the same map I was speaking of. In fact I got mine there before they were listed as an item on this site. Excellent idea on tracing the boundaries in.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

I guess I will have to swing by REI this week... Thanks for the heads up. I am not too worried about the boundary of the hunt area as it is pretty clear along the peaks of several mountains. The unclear thing is where the park ends as my buddy can bust a griz out of the park and get a rug, if he busts one on the wrong side of the imaginary line though...Well lets not go there we both like our guns!

The Nat Geo TOPO software has the CSP boundary line in it. If you give me the specific areas of your hunt I can give you Lat and Lon lines of the park boundary. Of course when you are actually on your hunt it would probably be pretty helpful to be able to pull out the detailed map of CSP that others have already mentioned, but I would be happy to help.

Quote Originally Posted by asrjb25 View Post
    The Nat Geo TOPO software has the CSP boundary line in it. If you give me the specific areas of your hunt I can give you Lat and Lon lines of the park boundary. Of course when you are actually on your hunt it would probably be pretty helpful to be able to pull out the detailed map of CSP that others have already mentioned, but I would be happy to help.
    Dang and I have that software and didn't think about it. I bought it in anticipation of getting the new Magellan Triton GPS that "supports" it (Apparently it still doesn't work right). I ended up going garmin back in December and I have been using GEarth and Topo 08' ever since . I will have to break out the computer that has it loaded up and check it out. I think I will still wander over and check out the map from REI though!

Default Sportsmans Wharehouse

The topo machine there is also $7 and you can print the maps with the ADF&G Boundaries right from the machine. Water proof maps. Plus you won't look like retard going into fish and game to trace the lines! Might be worth going there with the map from SW to compare. Should be right on. Plus you can zoom in and get very specific spots. It takes some time as to figure out and get the exact spot. Just keep checking the "preview" before you print. It takes a few minutes and comes out the back of the machine. Hard to reach sometimes. Hope it all works out.

Got the REI map today. Looks like it will work to me! Thanks for the info everyone!

The department of Natural Resources downtown in Anchorage have access to very good topos. The detail on them is the best I have seen. They are almost 3-D looking.
    I'm planning a 14C sheep hunt also and was wondering how far off of the highway (either the Glenn or the Seward) one has to be. I went down to talk to F&G and they said as long as you are not shooting on, across or from any road. Isn't there a municipality rule saying you have to be 5 miles in?

During legal hunting seasons (limited seasons, limited areas), discharge of weapons is not allowed within one half mile of any campground, picnic area, ski area or other facility, or any roadway in the park including the Seward Highway. 11 AAC 20.010
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." Theodore Roosevelt, 1913