Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you practice?

Default How often do you practice?

How often do you practice your shooting?

I go to the range almost everyday. I shoot at least four days a week. I practice with everything from .17HMR and .22RF to .338/378 Weatherby. The 30-06, and .223 sees most of my practicing. I shoot 25 to 300 yards at the South Cushman Range. I go out on the Tanana River bed to shoot on out at 400, 500, 600, 700, and 800 yards.

In the evening my 19yr old son and I often sit on the porch and shoot cans in the yard with air guns and .22 shorts. Also any Red Squirrels we can get our sights on.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Default twice per week during summer

I go to South Cushman two times per week during the summer.
    It is interesting that when I lazed it with my rangefinder that
    it is 205 yards to the second slash and 330 yards to the backdrop.

I work up to three times per week before sheep season.

I would like to shoot more if I could afford it.
    I have noticed that range manners have gone way down.

I hope that this trend changes.

I also play that stupid Cabelas big game hunter game and I notice that this also helps ones shooting. Kelly Grossman and the a nation of video crack shots can't be wrong.

Sincerely,

Thomas

At minimum twice a month sometimes with one rifle or sometimes with two or three of them the same day, but I go to the range at least twice a month.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default being a bum

Not much more than once a month and then mostly due to SASS shoots. Having an audience and clock motivates me to focus (and sometimes trip up). Maybe two or three times as much time on dry drills.

Archery at least weekly.

At least twice per year. on a warm day for summer and on a cold day for winter

Talking

I shoot about three times a week...I think this is a stage a guy goes through.

Isn't it, Tri-weekly, try weekly then try weakly....no wait that is something else.

Shooting three times a week, at least once a week some handgun from the holster on target quick kind of shoot and the rest depends on the mood.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I actually fire bullets two or three times a week, but I handle my guns and dry fire them almost every day. I've probably got a fortune invested in Snap Caps. I like them for practicing reloading quickly.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Not often as I would like that is for sure. My load developments will vary with the purchase of new bullets/weights and powder lots -one empty and opening a new one that kind of thing. Been wringing out the most out of my pre-64 aught six from bullets weights ranging from 168 up to 220 in the past 3 wks. or so.

In bush Ak. my shooting ranges is 260 yds-from one side of the river channel to the other. The gravel pit is my range for sighting in. Trying but not that hard for buying a Lyman 48 wjs for my Winchester and if I succeed then I will do more shooting but for now my Redfield 70 with Hunter knobs is pretty keen.

My chrony gave up on me in the last week so there goes any more load development unless.......

regards,

Kaboku68: From the benches to the burum I range it to be 337 yards.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Default Burum

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    Kaboku68: From the benches to the burum I range it to be 337 yards.
    I get about 334 from mine about 4-5" up. I try and go about 4 times a month but normally only make it 2-3 in the summer. I seem to shoot more in the winter

Archery three times a week because I can reuse my ammo. My current situation does not allow me to shoot my rifles more than that. I cannot afford to do it, nor can I afford the time to safely reload ammunition. I've never had an issue with shooting only 40 rounds a year and still shoot my game every year. I limit my shots to 200 yards and with a good rest. Frankly, I find shooting a rifle with a scope to be simple compared to what I do with a bow.

My goal is once a week to the range year around, once week shooting pellets in the garage...

Dry fire twice a week,

visualize making the shot daily

I also exercise at least 3 times a week..

Smile Not enough.....

I am embarassed to say about 4 times a year for the last 3 years. I do dry fire a rifle and hand gun almost every day. Still, nothing beats practicing a good technique at the range. To be really good with guns requires a lot of trigger time. I am probably not "really good". Murphy, your comment was tooooo funnnny.

For you guys that use Alaskan guides. Ask your guide and assistant guide how much they shoot. You might be in for a surprise

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    For you guys that use Alaskan guides. Ask you guide and assistant guide how much they shoot. You might be in for a surprise
    Yeah, there's quite a range, even among those I count as friends and hunt with on their own time. One shoots with us once or twice a month, plus once or twice a week on his own. In between he's popping pellets offhand at home almost every day like me.

The opposite extreme is the one we manage to drag out once or twice a year. He'd like to shoot more, but he's darned busy. He shoots a couple of hundred rounds through his 375 in the month or so before his first spring hunts.

As for me, it varies with weather and what else is going on. I've shot with friends for the last three days straight and will go out again today. But when the weather suxx or I get too busy it's hard to get out my minimum of once a week. In between I shoot nightly a minimum of 10 shots offhand through my air rifle here at home.

All in all, it sure helps to have shooting buds to get out with. Within a mile of my house are four friends I shoot muzzleloaders with, and three others live within an hour's drive. Between them they often drag me out when I'd rather sit on my duff in front of the computer, and I do the same for them. Then there are all the rimfire shooters, rifle shooters and handgun shooters I know. It would be real easy to shoot 7 days a week keeping up with all of them, but I gotta take time once in a while to clean up the messes and pay for powder and lead.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Well I am not much different that the rest of you guys, I would sure like to get to the range more often but time constraints due to work and family obligations tends to seriously limit my range time.
    Late winter or early spring seems to be the best time for me, and if I have manage to pick up a new rifle or two over the winter I will try to get all my load development done before summer hits and I find my weekends filled with home repairs or camping trips. I suspect that if I kept track, it would end up being around 12 to 15 times a year and all of those would be at the Rabbit Creek range. If I am lucky, I will make it to Birchwood once a year.
    I do a fair amount of field position practice and dry fire trigger control practice in the garage, however I am not convinced that there is any significant value in this type of training for rifle shooters.
    I guess the most valuable training I have been doing lately is with my 4 year old. He is very interested in the guns and knives so we will do safety drills in the garage several nights a week. He will ask if he can look at one of the guns and then we reinforce the verbal communication exchanges that must take place before we ever touch a gun, reinforce the adult supervision aspects, and what to do if another kid has a gun etc. and then we move on to muzzle control, trigger avoidance and getting the action open to verify that the gun is unloaded and safe to handle. Its actually a lot more fun than it sounds, and he is really into it. At just 4 years old, he is still along ways from being ready to shoot, let alone handle any firearm unsupervised but we will keep working on the fundamentals and he will eventually get there one day.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default practice time

Having a 25-100 yard range off the back porch, I can shoot anytime I want. It really makes it nice working up loads. I can load 3-4 rounds shoot them and go back inside to the loading bench and try something different. Like most others it is finding the time to shoot that has been an issue the last yew years. We have shot as much as daily to two to three times a month.
    I am getting to the point that I will have much more time and be able to shoot a lot more. I tend to shoot more when it comes time to qualify and then I shoot a whole lot more.

Default That's great....

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Isn't it, Tri-weekly, try weekly then try weakly....no wait that is something else.
    that's all I can say

I guess the most valuable training I have been doing lately is with my 4 year old. He is very interested in the guns and knives so we will do safety drills in the garage several nights a week. He will ask if he can look at one of the guns and then we reinforce the verbal communication exchanges that must take place before we ever touch a gun, reinforce the adult supervision aspects, and what to do if another kid has a gun etc. and then we move on to muzzle control, trigger avoidance and getting the action open to verify that the gun is unloaded and safe to handle. Its actually a lot more fun than it sounds, and he is really into it. At just 4 years old, he is still along ways from being ready to shoot, let alone handle any firearm unsupervised but we will keep working on the fundamentals and he will eventually get there one day.
    Thats the beast kind of practice Alangaq, wish my 10 year old daughter would get into shooting. I've tried everything to make it fun, etc but she doesn't have an interest so I haven't pushed it all lately, I figure if she wants then she'll let me know.

Wow every day, 4 times a week! I wish I had the time. I practice with the pistol once a week even if only with a box of 50. It's free, i carry it at work and it might save my life, so i figure it is important. I wish i had more time for the rifles, but life gets in the way so it is currently about twice a month and a lot in the two weeks preceeding hunting season.

The reason I posted this is I was talking with my Dad back in Tennessee, he was chiding one of my brothers for missing a coyote. Dad said his first shot was at 40 yards, second shot 60 yards, third shot 100 yards, forth shot 130 yards. Coyote was standing still for every shot, he just plain missed. was Dad's comment. My brother Darrell has what we call the Davy Crockett complex. Just because he was born in Tennessee he thinks he has some inhearant ability to shoot well. He never practices, claims it cost too much. He also claims "no need" anybody can shoot well, especially him. When he misses there is something causing the miss he is not aware of.

Yea, unfamiliarity with guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast