Thread: Question on using current loads on an old shotgun

Default Question on using current loads on an old shotgun

I have a Savage model 220B single shot chambered for 2 3/4" 28 gauge. On the barrel it shows "Selected Forged Steel". Would it be safe to use it with current 2 3/4 loads?

Default safe side

It might be better to not try a modern round in that shotgun.

I like shooting old shotguns and SASS so I found a hundred year old shotgun shell "roller" and loading set on Ebay. Now I load my own black powder or CleanShot shells like they were intended to shoot. MidWay also sell reusable brass hulls but only for 12ga and 20ga last time I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by AkSKeyMoe View Post
    I have a Savage model 220B single shot chambered for 2 3/4" 28 gauge. On the barrel it shows "Selected Forged Steel". Would it be safe to use it with current 2 3/4 loads?
    That steel in the barrel should be fine for modern shells, perhaps with the exception of the 1 oz Winchester loads.

BUT!

BUT-BUT-BUT-BUT-BUT-BUT-BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's lots more than barrel steel that will determine whether or not an old gun is safe to fire. Without looking it over first hand, I'm not even going to tell you to shoot it.

Take it to a competent gunsmith and let them sprinkle holy water on it. They'll know what else to look for, and they'll do it for a nominal fee, if not for free.

Quote Originally Posted by OffTheRecord View Post
    It might be better to not try a modern round in that shotgun.

I like shooting old shotguns and SASS so I found a hundred year old shotgun shell "roller" and loading set on Ebay. Now I load my own black powder or CleanShot shells like they were intended to shoot. MidWay also sell reusable brass hulls but only for 12ga and 20ga last time I checked.
    I just might have to if Savage Stevens doesn't recommend using any current loads with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    That steel in the barrel should be fine for modern shells, perhaps with the exception of the 1 oz Winchester loads.

BUT!

BUT-BUT-BUT-BUT-BUT-BUT-BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    There's always a but isn't there?

There's lots more than barrel steel that will determine whether or not an old gun is safe to fire. Without looking it over first hand, I'm not even going to tell you to shoot it.
    Can you tell me what else I should look for? The only thing that I have found is the safety doesn't work anymore and the stock is a little loose.

Take it to a competent gunsmith and let them sprinkle holy water on it. They'll know what else to look for, and they'll do it for a nominal fee, if not for free.
    I only wish it were that easy.